Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i bought a gs300 transmission, and its a a650e like the is300, looks pretty much the same, plugs and all but the tailshaft connector is different, it has the rubber type like the supras do, where as my one has the slide in tail shaft conector, has anyone run into issues like this and what can i do to resolve it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anybody end up finding an answer to this? I'm going to tear out the guts of the gs trans soon, and hope I can swap the output shafts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, yesterday I took the time to tear the guts out of the is300 trans to find most of the parts were ruined. Luckily, I got the output shaft out in good condition. I'm still debating whether it's worth ripping apart the junkyard gs300 trans to try to change the shaft (hopefully not breaking anything along the way), oooor trying to return the trans to the junkyard, and finding an is300. If I decide to swap the internals, I'll take some pics and post the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the output shafts are different. The is300 has a slip yolk while the gs300 is bolt up. I learned that the hard way when switching out my blown motor for a gs300 unit. If you swapped tail shafts it should work but its just a PITA if you ask me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just an update in case anybody is interested. I disassembled the gs300 trans as well, and swapping the output shafts should work just fine. Unfortunately the clutch packs on the gs300 looked pretty burned; so I ended up buying another A650E from an is300 with low miles. Wish I got to test it on the car to be 100%, but hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad I could help. If you do decide to swap the shafts, just keep a very close eye on the order that you remove everything. I would definitely recommend recording the whole process as well as stacking the the components as they are removed. It gets complicated assembling it by memory lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Glad I could help. If you do decide to swap the shafts, just keep a very close eye on the order that you remove everything. I would definitely recommend recording the whole process as well as stacking the the components as they are removed. It gets complicated assembling it by memory lol. Good luck!
I wouldn't do it unless you have the shop manual in front of you. Considering you can get a used IS300 tranny off ebay for $300, I don't think this is worth the effort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree, it's really not worth the time or risk of improper assembly, but it is doable. I ended up buying an IS300 tranny for $300 with 90k and a 3 month warranty off of a local yard. It was a rewarding experience at least to disassemble and get a first hand look at her guts :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey can someone plz help me out,

so I blew my a650e on my 99 gs300, I went to a junkyard and picked One up For 400$.. turns out the dude didn’t realize or just played me but he gave me a a650e from a is300 (2002). I’m in the process of mating it to my engine and everything went smoothly and I already knew about the driveshaft part but I’m at a stand still rn, as I was connecting the lines n wires i realized 2 connectors don’t match??? I was already tired n probably over looked it n maybe I had the sides of the harnesss switched but if they don’t match either way is there something I can do to make it work? Like maybe splice the old connectors ( I still have my gs trans in my backyard with Connections)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts