Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another sway bar snapped thread. After 4 years of owning my A51 sways, the FRONT sway snapped! It happened as I was going down a driveway . The driveway isn't too steep at all as I don't scrape and I've driven down that same driveway several times before.

Any idea how this could have happened? The front sways are super beefy and I'm kind of in shock that this happened. This occurred a block away from my work, so now I am stuck with my car in the company parking lot with a broken sway bar hanging from the front end. If I get the sway bar removed, is it safe to drive the car without a sway bar?

I'll take pics of the busted sway as soon as it is removed from my car.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude that sucks. and now you're SOL since there is no more A51.
have some +rep.
Yeah I'm serious. I just called AAA to have my car towed to the nearest shop. I'm going to have them remove the sway. One of my co-workers has a background in metallurgy, so he should be able to tell me what caused the break by eyeballing it.

Anyone have recommendations for similar spec'd sways that I can get?

·
Registered
933 Posts
There has been alot of sway snapping latley? Wierd maybe its that time of the year? I would say that the sways are so stiff that it leaves no room for flexing as the factory ones would and eventually they become so weak they snap?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im running hotchkis, happy with them.
and if they break, hotchkis ain't going no where.
Ok I'm back from the shop...the sway is out and the car seems fine. Of course I don't plan on taking the fwy on-ramps at 50mph anytime soon. Anyhow, is hotchkis the brand that was/is plagued with snapping sway bars? If so, I'd like to steer away from anything that has a higher chance of it potentially happening again. I'm just lucky it didn't happen while I was on the fwy in traffic this morning.

Pics to come later.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Btw, anyone know the part number for the flange thing circled in red below? I need to get a new one as one of the fronts is completely bent now.

EDIT - found the part number (4882022041)...$60 from Carson Toyota/$85 from Lexus...either way, ouch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
four 20 the part you ar elooking for is and end link. they do make adjustable ones for sale, I believe I have a post and web site for you to check about performance ones. just hearign about sways snapping steel is to rigid, unless it is 4130 that they are made of, try aircraft grade aluminum, 6000 series or maybe 7000 series. there is always titanium, and then you move up to berilium :) exotic for an exotic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts