Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
15523Hmmm...what sort of curious cosmic coincidence is bringing not one, but two February 2008 tuner magazine stories on turbocharged and tastefully modded Lexus IS 300s by my.IS members named Justin? No sooner did word reach us on <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f42/is300-tons-speed-style-sound-353242/">Justin Hartenstein (screen name LCA575)'s article in S3 magazine</A> that we heard about Justin Vrakas (screen name IS300STeeZ)'s appearance in the March 2008 issue of Modified magazine.

The article, cleverly titled vISion, is written by Mike Máez, with photography by Tracy Stocker. We couldn't help but smile (make that a big, ear-to-ear grin with a fist-pumping "yes!" or two thrown in) when we read this passage from the second paragraph: "Justin received inspiration from the website IS300.NET, or my.IS as it is known now. After listening to some suggestions about changing grilles and addressing the stock wheel gap, Justin was drawn into a community that remains a huge part of his life to this day, helping to mold his vision for this perfectly balanced Lexus."

Initially, Justin's ride had routine modifications to the factory naturally aspirated setup, including intake, headers and exhaust, but his cravings for something faster turned into downright yearning when, in spring 2005 at a meet in Chicago hosted by SPL Auto Tuning, he got a hair-raising ride in SPL owner Kris Dayrit's (a.k.a. my.IS member revhard) custom-turboed IS 300.15524 Shortly thereafter, Justin became Kris' very first IS 300 turbo customer. Justin's requirements for little-to-no turbo lag, reliability, smooth drivability, responsive throttle, effective torque and a usable power curve were met by Kris' setup, which consists of a Precision 55 trim dual ball bearing water-cooled turbo along with an SPL iron-cast manifold and a TiAL 38mm wastegate

There's much more than that to this amazing car, of course, and you'll want to check out <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f90/scans-is300t-modified-mag-full-feature-march-2008-issue-352561/">the thread that Justin started in the 1st-Gen IS300 Inside and Out Forum</A> for the full story. Frankly, this author can't come up with a better or more appropriate conclusion than the one Mike Máez wrote for his article, so here it is: "It is clear that Justin has been inspired not only by his on vision, but that of the entire IS enthusiast community. We often look solely at the surface of modified cars, but each car has a story behind it, and few of them are ever told. The people, the cars, the ups and downs, and the experiences and memories that come with our involvement in this scene are what continue to drive it, inspire us and give us the vision to build cars like Justin's sweet IS300."

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congrats, buddy, on getting your ride featured!! You deserve it.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the support.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Congrats guys, very clean car!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congratulations! To be honest, you inspire me even more. My family just thinks it's a waste of money to mod my IS. The thing is, you show me the possibilities for an IS-obsessed guy like me. Thank you. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Thanks a lot, it definitely feels good to have gotten this far and I'm flattered that anyone can be inspired by my IS. There's always potential for more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts