Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah I don't know what is done to the valve body, when we send it out to TurboEast or whomever. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this, as far as what is actually changed, and if the parts are available for retail or only to garages? And if so, what parts are being replaced/used? Links to websites or how-to? ;)

Thanks

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
TeckniX said:
So yeah I don't know what is done to the valve body, when we send it out to TurboEast or whomever. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this, as far as what is actually changed, and if the parts are available for retail or only to garages? And if so, what parts are being replaced/used? Links to websites or how-to? ;)

Thanks

I believe most VB upgrades don't use any complex or expensive parts... the price is determined by two things:

1) The labor it takes to get the VB off, do the work upside down, get it back together and resealed
2) Making up for the R&D which went into figuring out exactly how to upgrade the VB inhe first place.

I can personally do VB upgrades, but will not be posting the details online because I was shown how to do it by a shop which probably considers it a "tuner's secret".

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dasgalloway, how do you always get to be the knowledgeable one? ;) I guess that answered my question of weather it was really a complicated upgrade, or if like you said it was more of a "tuner's secret" that I was paying for :)

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
TeckniX said:
dasgalloway, how do you always get to be the knowledgeable one? ;) I guess that answered my question of weather it was really a complicated upgrade, or if like you said it was more of a "tuner's secret" that I was paying for :)
I'll put it in simple terms, for the 1-2 shift, a hole is drilled and some actual modification is done to the VB, for the other shifts, parts are replaced.

If you see the parts, most people think it's a rip-off, but you have to realize the expense of the R&D that went into finding the perfect spot and other factors.

PFS, TE for sure do the 1-2 shift modification, I *think* SRT and Toyomoto have this now too, but I can't say for sure.

Kane

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kanine21 said:
I'll put it in simple terms, for the 1-2 shift, a hole is drilled and some actual modification is done to the VB, for the other shifts, parts are replaced.

If you see the parts, most people think it's a rip-off, but you have to realize the expense of the R&D that went into finding the perfect spot and other factors.

PFS, TE for sure do the 1-2 shift modification, I *think* SRT and Toyomoto have this now too, but I can't say for sure.

Kane
Yeah I don't think it's a rip-off when I know i have a warranty attached to it ;) There's some stuff I'll do - and there's some stuff, where I'll let companies do for me, this way if I have a problem, well they usually take care of it :D
Thanks for the details though, this way I get to be more knowledgeable...

·
Registered
394 Posts
dasgalloway said:
I believe most VB upgrades don't use any complex or expensive parts... the price is determined by two things:

1) The labor it takes to get the VB off, do the work upside down, get it back together and resealed
2) Making up for the R&D which went into figuring out exactly how to upgrade the VB inhe first place.

I can personally do VB upgrades, but will not be posting the details online because I was shown how to do it by a shop which probably considers it a "tuner's secret".
they showed how to do a VB upgrade on horsepower TV...so i think the secret is out. wasn't on an IS300 but its still the same difference. really isn't a hard thing to do...its more work getting at the VB than actually performing the upgrade to allow it to flow more.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
b00st said:
they showed how to do a VB upgrade on horsepower TV...so i think the secret is out. wasn't on an IS300 but its still the same difference. really isn't a hard thing to do...its more work getting at the VB than actually performing the upgrade to allow it to flow more.
Do you know where exactly to drill it and how big on an IS vb though? Have to find the sweet spot to allow smooth shifts, but make sure it shifts under power. Otherwise you end up with a very harsh 1-2 shift or a sloppy delayed shift, or no shift at all unless you back off the throttle. Takes companies a few vb's to go through, plus the labor and fluid changes of going back and forth till they find the right spot. This is what I liked about the PFS one, is since they were the firt out, they found the sweet spot first and when i sent my tranny in for the sprag upgrade, they went ahead an upgraded the vb mod to a different size/location on 1-2 shift and the tranny was a bit smoother on that shift.

Not to mention, the vb on an A-650E IS tranny is about 10x more complicated than a standard governer shift type vb of a domestic, trust me, I used to do them on the side and sold them for $100+core. It was soooo simple then.

Electronic shift trannies with 5-speeds, overdrive, locking TC's and such are more involving than say a GM Turbo 350 or something.

Kane

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kanine21 said:
Do you know where exactly to drill it and how big on an IS vb though?
nope and never said i did.

Kanine21 said:
Have to find the sweet spot to allow smooth shifts, but make sure it shifts under power.
understandalbe

Kanine21 said:
Otherwise you end up with a very harsh 1-2 shift or a sloppy delayed shift, or no shift at all unless you back off the throttle. Takes companies a few vb's to go through, plus the labor and fluid changes of going back and forth till they find the right spot. This is what I liked about the PFS one, is since they were the firt out, they found the sweet spot first and when i sent my tranny in for the sprag upgrade, they went ahead an upgraded the vb mod to a different size/location on 1-2 shift and the tranny was a bit smoother on that shift.
like i said its harder to get at it than to actually do it. hence why the parts aren't the killer part of the deal.

Kanine21 said:
Electronic shift trannies with 5-speeds, overdrive, locking TC's and such are more involving than say a GM Turbo 350 or something.

Kane
again understand.

never said there wasn't R&D involved. but for people who know the car...i'd say its an easier job. thats why i like tuner's who stick to a specific model/type of car and just go with that one instead of some general knowledge shop that knows about it...just not specifically or not any particular model.

·
Registered
277 Posts
don't think a valvebody mod will always cure your problem. i have mine done by te and still had 2nd shift problems. they said put esk 4.0 back on now it shifts harder into 3rd and 4th but 2nd still lags. it will hit rev limiter if i shift into 2nd on nitrous but chirps 3rd and 4th even on motor. i figure i hurt 2nd gear before the mod when i had just esk on. and will now have to go back in and replace 2nd gear . hey anyone know right off if 2nd is a clutch pack or a band havent got my trans manual yet to look at flow chart.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive, just wanted to make sure people know it's not as easy as just pulling the VB out and drilling a hol anywhere in the flow chamber like they make it seem on those shows. That's where the r&d comes in on finding where to go.

I agree about the specialty on one car type shop. I can't stand shops that work on a crap load of crap, and know NOTHING specific about our car, or any in general. if that makes sense at all, haha

Kane

b00st said:
nope and never said i did.

understandalbe

like i said its harder to get at it than to actually do it. hence why the parts aren't the killer part of the deal.

again understand.

never said there wasn't R&D involved. but for people who know the car...i'd say its an easier job. thats why i like tuner's who stick to a specific model/type of car and just go with that one instead of some general knowledge shop that knows about it...just not specifically or not any particular model.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed i does, but also a shop can't survive by just doing 'one' type of car, so they gotta branch out and start doing some other cars. They will still have good knowledge about a specific car/engine, but they will have general knowledge of the other ones... All in all we still all have pistons and rods, well except for those FA/FC/FD guys... but that's a different story ;)

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
TeckniX said:
Indeed i does, but also a shop can't survive by just doing 'one' type of car, so they gotta branch out and start doing some other cars. They will still have good knowledge about a specific car/engine, but they will have general knowledge of the other ones... All in all we still all have pistons and rods, well except for those FA/FC/FD guys... but that's a different story ;)
Well, I guess I got a sour taste in my mouth when a fellow .netter took his car into a shop, and they said the reason he blew his engine was because we left the Toyomoto AFPR/fuel return system in and it injected too much gas and blew fuel past his pistons into the oil. I was like WTF are you talking about?

I told him to get his car out of that damn shop and don't let them touch it, (they were known for doing domestic and good ole american iron shit).

I love companies such as TE, PFS, SRT, Toyomot that specialize in certain groups of cars and become insanely knowledgable.

I'll never let any shop touch my car, that's why I do everything myself. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them if I had a broken arm.

Kane

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Kanine21 said:
I'll never let any shop touch my car, that's why I do everything myself. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them if I had a broken arm.

Kane
couldnt agree with you more brotha!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I don't have an auto, but I've been curious at what hp or tq is the VB upgrade needed for, maybe 250wrtq+?

B.

·
Registered
277 Posts
BlackSportD said:
I don't have an auto, but I've been curious at what hp or tq is the VB upgrade needed for, maybe 250wrtq+?

hell id say 200 +wtrq mine wouldnt shift with a 50 shot without some help

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kanine21 said:
Well, I guess I got a sour taste in my mouth when a fellow .netter took his car into a shop, and they said the reason he blew his engine was because we left the Toyomoto AFPR/fuel return system in and it injected too much gas and blew fuel past his pistons into the oil. I was like WTF are you talking about?

I told him to get his car out of that damn shop and don't let them touch it, (they were known for doing domestic and good ole american iron shit).

I love companies such as TE, PFS, SRT, Toyomot that specialize in certain groups of cars and become insanely knowledgable.

Kane

I definitely second you on that, although I wanted to point out your quote "they were known for doing domestic and good ole american iron shit" So why would you bring your import there in the first place?? :p

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
TeckniX said:
I definitely second you on that, although I wanted to point out your quote "they were known for doing domestic and good ole american iron shit" So why would you bring your import there in the first place?? :p
He just needed internals swapped, just the pistons, rods, bearings and rings done for GTE internals. Any engine shop SHOULD be able to that stuff. They ended up telling him to take the car somewhere else because it was too complicated for them to work on and they didn't want deal with it, LMFAO!!

He found a better shop that does import stuff, they seem to know what they're talking about on things, so he should be in good hands now.

Kane

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So who has a VB upgrade, what HP are you at and also who's VB upgrade did you get - Some of the DIY, can post their write up ;)
I need to choose between all the different shops, so I get what seems to be the 'better' one- Also are all the auto trannies the same, so all the VBs are interchangeable? I don't wanna have the car down for 2 weeks and wait for the VB to return :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts