Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaahhh the poor, oft overlooked but crucial litle LUGNUT...........
.. those insignificant little bits of metal that are so crucial to a safe run to the store down the street, much less a full on railing session thru the local back canyon roads or hard pass at the strip...

It seems we all some times have a q or two about these so lets all toss in our bits & pieces & make some sense of it all & a one stop thread for the deets... :D

[b]IS300 Lug Nuts [/b]

12mm x 1.5 thread pitch nut.

OEM IS 300 lugs/locks normally are NOT appropriate on aftermarket wheels. Lexus OEM lugs are fairly Long, & "stepped", & use a narrower shank that fits into a recess around the lug, & centers the wheel on the lug

Aftermarket wheels use short or long lugs with a conical bases at the lug holes & thus you need new lugs with the similar conical bottom to work properly with after market wheels

With that being said, it stands to reason that OEM Lexus IS300 lugs are not appropriate for the after market wheels either...

Afermarket Lugs:

Many types & colors available......

Steel
Aluminum Alloy
Magnesium Alloy
Titanium alloy
Metal Matrix...?
sorry.....no CF lugs..... YET :wink:

Steel lugs are the most common. Chromed steel lugs are cheap & plenty strong there are many designs with different methods for providing security from special keyed locking lugs to assymetrical lugs with one side longer than the rest & others with uncommon 8 point (Vs 6 or 12..) or other type of designs....
Most use a socket type wrench to remove/ Install... but some use a big assymetrical Allen wrench that plugd INSIDE them & removes them these are usually very narrow & are common on aftermarket wheels with very narrow lug holes.

NOTE: one reason to swap lugs is... weight....... lugs are steel usually & steel is heavy & any reduction in unsprung weight is a good thing.... but alloy lugs are not the only solution, Some STEEL lugs are so small that they are almost as light as alloy lugs, the difference is negligible,....

Aluminum Alloy lugs seem to be common in tuner circles & are accepted... and VERY light. But i am not clear on their ultimate strength & or fatigue resistance....? or if there is a preferred thread pitch & or diameter for say very agressive driving/ racing applications Vs More a SHOW type alloy lug nut... they are probably fine tho or the liability issues alone would be ridiculous.
STILL,.... if i drove hard & had alloy lugs... i would check them, often, especially the 1st two weeks or so & then occasionally but regularly after that.
ALSO, if I was taking wheels off & On alot & torqueing & loosening & retorqueing Aluminum alloy nuts I would probably replace them sooner... any one care to comment on the average life span of alloy Lug nuts......? these also seem to be available in Long & Short versions the longer ones are common on tuner cars & show type cars & i think are more agressive looking tho I am not sure if they provide any other benefit.

Magnesium lugs found on many very exotic Sports cars .. .& the common Porsche for the last 15-20 years.... not seen much in the aftermarket yet.... too bad

Titanium lugs available now but hard to find they are expensive & most are actually made for racing like nascar modified type cars & they are made very short & are not dressed up or designed for the street. A company IS making a set for cars like the "Tuner Lugs" etc but they are sick expensive as of now....

these smaller light weight steel lugs & the alloy ones also available should NOT be torqued all the way down with an Impact wrench... it will wear them out & round them off sooner, Impact wrenches can be used to tighten the lugs lightly & then the final torqueing should be done with a good qualityTorwque wrench

next....?

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are no safety issues with the forged aluminum lugnuts, afaik.
Many of the higher end wheel manufacturers have their own available - Rays, Advan, RS Watanabe, etc, etc.
I and others have had problems with Kyokugens rounding off though.

For simple, cheap, easy to find lugnuts, I like the McGard Splinedrive. One of the biggest problems with aftermarket lugnuts/bolts is that the keys wear out quickly. I haven't had that problem with Splinedrives.

When swapping wheels and lugnuts, you also want to ensure proper thread engagement.
Here's a nice chart from The TIRE RACK showing minimum turns for engagement.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent addition to the thread thanks man!

& yes i have the Kyokugens .. .they are light as hell & only a couple grams more than the alloy ones at half or less the price.. .but after a year it is my socket that is rounding off on the inside due to Impact wrench use.. the Lugs them selves are i ngreat shape but for the scratches in the black coating.....

Evidently, with these & the alloy ones the impact wrenches are only supposed to be used to snug up the lugs lightly & the final torqueing NEEDS to be done properly with a nice good quality Torque wrench it is the repeated hammering of the impact wrench that greatly contributes to reduced lug nut or lug socket life

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stick said:
edgy said:
mine is rounding too but it thot it was from the air tools....

Your key is rounding or the lug? I should check mine too.........

it is the actual Key or Socket that comes with them....

their only "anti theft" feature is the 8 point design, & a fairly hard to get ahold of ( unless you buy a set!) 8 point deep well socket & it appears that apparently will wear down....with repeated use.

edg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.