Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you who love your IS stock and see all mods as ricey must hate the fact that the chief engineer of the Altezza is a riceboy, seeing as how he drives a modified 6 speed Altezza. Maybe the people I think are riceboys need new names cuz if the chief engineer is a riceboy, then I'm proud to be a riceboy too.
---------------------------------------------
Riceboy Altezza *Powered By Sake*

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have one question, is there anything wrong with a good, tasteful modified car?
I did it to my old eclipse, and I like to do it because it allows me to see how the engineering stuff I learn at school becomes reality. I am planning to design and construct my own body kit for my IS that will allow me improve the aerodynamic capability of the car. Heck, I may even use this as my thesis for my master degree.
I really don't see what's wrong with modifying a car, as long as it is done right and with good taste.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ummm I think when they refer to Riceboy they mean cheap/fake or stupid mods...Anything clean or with an engine to support all it's hoopla is cool.

There is a difference.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Hmm.. you should read the "What IS a riceboy" section on Bryan's riceboypage.com .

Not all modified cars are riceboy mobiles.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm proud of who I am right now.....And I don't have to be a riceboy to appreciate something that was designed by a riceboy (so to speak.....)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U guys missed the point. Read the post again. I'm saying to the people that think all mods are ricey then they are driving a car where the engineer has "riced" the car out. They must hate that the guy who did all the clean factory stuff saw fit to "screw up" this beautiful car. The guy that engineered the car has mods on it. Doesn't that tell these mod bashers something. Like maybe the car was meant to be modded if you wanted to. If a car is good enough for the chief engineer to mod then it's good enough to be modded by me too. Powered By Sake.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think the feasibility of a car to modifications is a sign that it's well engineered. Civics are often modified because they can take a lot of modification without having to replace anything significant in the powertrain. The same is true for the Integra. I own neither, but I admit they're well engineered cars.

btw, the BMW 318 was originally targetted to compete against the Integra. It didn't do too well, because the Integra was cheaper, faster, and handled better--some major car magazine reviewed the two. So much for German engineering..

--k

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It was Road and Track that did the comparo, and I'm pretty sure that Acura proudly included that article when sending out Integra brochures. LOL...

I think that demand also something to do with a huge aftermarket, and it seems like there is a compounding effect happening. First, there are lot of Civics (for example) out there. There are a growing number of people who want to modify their Civics (due to trends or whatever). Aftermarket companies see this and put out products for Civics. People notice that there are lots of parts for Civics. More people buy Civics. And the cycle repeats...

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have that article in the brochure acura sent me. funny because i havent looked at that thing in years and i looked at it about 3 days ago cleaning my room. weird. it had pitted a GSR up against the TI. needless to say, the GSR faired better in almost all aspects. my friend has a supercharged TI, and although its nice, the GSR stills reigns supreme. well, now my IS reigns supreme. haha

mike

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I don't have the chief engineers car...he doesn't really like to talk about it since many mods are actually illegal in Japan, though enforcement is lax (SCC). Plus he drives a 4 cyl. and the US uses 6 cyl. I would think that would be a problem w/ the engine mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts