Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting Z-2, Z-5, and Z-6 detail spray. I have been doing some research and have been getting mixed reviews as to what is really needed. According to Zaino, I should use the Z-5 first for any swirls etc (thanks Lexus of Toledo :pissed: ) then use Z-2. Z-6 would be used in-between waxes. It also suggests that I use the ZFX additive for both the Z-5 and the Z-2 applications. Now, some have suggested to me that I need not use the Z-2 or the ZFX, and that the Z-5 applied twice (or more) will give a great shine by itself. Others said it is best to use both the Z-5 and the Z-2 (Z-2 for it's better reflection) but no need to use the ZFX, it simply helps the drying process. Yet others have agreed with the Zaino website and said to use all of the products suggested. Obviously Zaino wants to sell his products, so I am just wondering what is actually needed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
the accelerator works well...but if you're willing to wait 45 minutes for the z-2 to dry then don't bother with it. the detail spray is nice too..when you apply it, it leaves a nice smooth finish..i don't know about the z-5; i've heard mixed reviews about it...i've heard 3m makes a better swirl remover.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Christian Sonntag said:
Cleo said:
the accelerator works well...but if you're willing to wait 45 minutes for the z-2 to dry then don't bother with it.
Funny the way the mind works. When I first read your post, I thought you were recommending using the accelerator PEDAL (i.e. driving the car) to dry the Z-2!!!
:lol:
:lol: that might work too

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great post and thanks. I read it all, but i think that just scared me away from using the Zaino products! :lol:

No but seriously, I had no clue there were so many steps involved. I read the Zaino recommendations on their site, but I guess I took for granite everything he said. Some of the things I don't like now is

A.) Removing the previous layers of wax with Dawn. This just doesn't sound safe to me for my car's finish. My luck something would end up looking like real shit.
B.) Having to apply caranuba layers for depth. I mean don't we want a deep shine and reflection? Maybe I'm not following the terminology correctly. And then if i do apply caranuba, I have to revert to step A to get rid of it to apply more Zaino.
C.) The article states:
...will not hide any underlying paint defect. In fact, Zaino will in many cases make them more noticeable!...Z-5 takes many layers (maybe 6-8 or more) to hide even the smallest micro-marring
wtf is that about? I thought that was the whole purpose of that Z-5 product?? (Cleo >> I did read your post and can now agree with you as well)

I don't know now. It just seems that I can get an equivalent result with an easier method/product. Although the hype of Zaino is HUGE, I have heard of people that don't like it at all. Is it really worth all this effort and money? That's the underlying question I guess.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Zaino is a product that layers when applied to paint. Thus means that you apply one coat of either Z2 or Z5 and then use Z6 and after apply Z2 or Z5 and again Z6. There will be two layers of Zaino. On the other hand, if two carnuba wax's or just plain wax is applied. There is only one layer of wax on the car after applying two coats. That is the difference.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So does anyone know if you HAVE to strip wax before initial application of zaino products? Also, is using a caranuba neccasary to add depth to the shine? And finally, anyone with first hand experience of the Z-5 working as a swirl / light imperfection cover up please give your comments on it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
yes you have to strip the wax off your car before applying Zaino. Then prepare the paint for first application of Zaino. Trust me follow the steps on the Zaino site or here on .net and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
PLAU2 said:
Zaino website suggest to use dish wash detergent to strip off the old wax on your car. I am kinda hesitate to use that.
You have to strip the old wax from the car and start fresh when applying the very first coat of ZAINO. You will not get Zaino results if you apply it on with wax on the car already.

ZAINO is a polish not a wax! There is a difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
thought i revive a thread after doin some searching. i drive a black onyx and i'm interested in the z-5 which as i read from their site will fill in and hide swirls. does that mean after a car wash(s) i will need to redo the process because it's only made to hide temporarily? they have listed some abrasive swirl removal products (z-pc fusion cleaner and swirl removal) and they don't recommend frequent use. Is that just like scratch x? meaning it will remove a very thin coat of paint to blend in? or they are different abrasive type products? i'm not very experience with abrasive products so i'm willing try out the filler products first, but i'm open to suggestions. i also plan on following up with additional zaino products to finish off, but have yet to decide which one i will need.

·
Registered
484 Posts
methodust said:
thought i revive a thread after doin some searching. i drive a black onyx and i'm interested in the z-5 which as i read from their site will fill in and hide swirls. does that mean after a car wash(s) i will need to redo the process because it's only made to hide temporarily? they have listed some abrasive swirl removal products (z-pc fusion cleaner and swirl removal) and they don't recommend frequent use. Is that just like scratch x? meaning it will remove a very thin coat of paint to blend in? or they are different abrasive type products? i'm not very experience with abrasive products so i'm willing try out the filler products first, but i'm open to suggestions. i also plan on following up with additional zaino products to finish off, but have yet to decide which one i will need.
i've tried the Z5 and the results weren't that great, same as scratchx. the best way to remove the swirls is with a Porter Cable and a decent cleaner wax. once you've done that, you can use the z2 (with zfx accelerator). make sure your towels and applicators are clean.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
I recommend 3M and 1Z (Einzsett) products. They are much more user friendly.

Like I told people in other detailing threads, a true detailer has an array of products.

For paint restoration, my process goes as follows:

I start off by stripping old wax using dawn. The idea is to break up the eax, and the only way to do so is with dish soap. The reason it is not recommended for car washing is BECAUSE it removes wax, exposing your paint to the elements.

Once that is done, I bust out the 1Z Polish in the green canister. It is an amazing polish, very effective by hand. If the paint is in bad condition, i will machine it with a rotary buffer.

I then use Meguairs Show Car Glaze #7, OR 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze. Meguairs is a bit easier to remove. This is a slight filler that helpstake care of swirls made by the polish.

Then comes Meguairs #9 Swirl mark remover. It is easier to work with than 3Ms swirl remover.

I haven't settled with a wax I absolutely love. Currently, I'm using Mother's reflections with great results and durability, but mainly because I ran out of Zymol Carbon wax for dark cars. I've also really liked the results from P21S as well. I may get a jar of that next.

Have a different pad for each application. It's a day long process, but it leaves your car looking immaculate.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I use Z5 on my IS and I am really satisfied with how it hides minor scratches and swirls. It does wear off after a few months worth of car washes but that will happen with any wax/polish. It does last longer than regular wax though. I would recommend it to anyone with a dark colored car. I prefer hiding scratches over removing a layer of paint each time buffing out swirls. If you use the car everyday and wash it there is no way of avoiding these minor scratches and the Z5 really does a good job of taking care of them without diminishing the paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.