Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311637&highlight=water+injection

After reading through the entire post linked above I am pretty sold on this. Anyone else have an opinion on it. I trying to get one for my IS and my girlfriends civic if he can get the injectors to fit properly.

Advantages: More hp, more tq, internally cleaner engine, better emissions and most importantly +20% increase in gas milage!

Please read through the above mentioned link carefully before jumping to conclusions on this system.

Discuss!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
kinda cool idea cant wait till he post #'s of hp and MPG on his MKIII

-Brett

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I've always planned on doing water/meth injection, I was going to do it next year sometime, so hopefully a kit will be out by then...........this kit definitely looks interesting! I'm keeping an eye out....

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said this isn't just another meth/water kit... I don't really feel like explaining it but instead of cooling being it's main function it instead focuses on vaporizing the water in the cylinder to produce steam which is more powerful than the gas expansions of gasoline itself. Faster spool cleaner engines, more power. Seems to be pretty revolutionary.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The real difference I see is the individual injectors for each runner, and the ability to really fine tune the water/meth mixture......I think this kit would work much better for some of the high rpm, high boost cars out there........or me next year sometime hopefully :>)

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Reading his article, I am not convinced that this is any better than existing water systems, nor am I convinced of his technical expertise in the area.

Furthermore, the system is hardly patentable (read: "able to be effectively protected by a patent"... not "being able to get a piece of paper from the USPTO").

Sounds like he's just driving 6 more injectors off the gasoline injector signals and modifying the ratio by controlling line pressure in the "water" rail. An interesting idea... but perhaps alot more complex than a water system needs to be.

It's amazing how a guy can go onto SF and post up "better gas mileage! Faster spool! Cleaner engine! with absolutely no proof, and everyone beats a path to his door.". He claims 10,000 man hours of R&D, and doesn't use the proper terms when discussing the topic.

Maybe I should hang out over there more.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
JaysonMFK said:
Like I said this isn't just another meth/water kit... I don't really feel like explaining it but instead of cooling being it's main function it instead focuses on vaporizing the water in the cylinder to produce steam which is more powerful than the gas expansions of gasoline itself. Faster spool cleaner engines, more power. Seems to be pretty revolutionary.

Jason, he's got you hook, line, and sinker. Vaporzing the water in the cyl is nothing more than happens with any other water system, and I see no proof that this kit can do a better job than much less complex systems out there.

I replied, the kid's got a lot of his facts backwards. He sounds like a infomercial, spouting off just enough statements that make sense to get you interested without actually questioning the validity of his claims.

He's got one hope... if spraying the water closer to the cyl gets him some sort of gain, maybe his kit has some benefit. But then again, it's nothing someone couldn't reproduce with a much simpler system then he is proposing (and stay well outside of his "patent")

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, regardless, he's located in South Mass., and he's willing to do a kit for an IS300 if someone can give him a donor car to tune with. He said he'd do it for the cost of parts. It might be worth a shot to find out what kind of results you can get, but you'd also have to let some guy mess with your baby, lol

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
^^Oh, and BTW, he's not touching my car, lol

I think I'd go with an Aquamist or Snow Performance kit first, I know there's several other companies I'm leaving out that also make quality kits too.............

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh, my gf is about to get a civic, I was thinking on letting him play with that first.

But yeah as of right now I'm pretty sold, I might just be gullible. Either way I'm excited to see what the results of a dyno will yield. Hell if no power gains at all but it cleans my engine, I might still buy it if it's less than $300.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
JaysonMFK said:
Heh, my gf is about to get a civic, I was thinking on letting him play with that first.

But yeah as of right now I'm pretty sold, I might just be gullible. Either way I'm excited to see what the results of a dyno will yield. Hell if no power gains at all but it cleans my engine, I might still buy it if it's less than $300.

Your stock intake surge tank or manifold is going to have to be drilled for the water injector ports, and it requires 6 injectors, a "water" rail to put them in, some sort of FPR, a pump and a tank (at the very least)

Under $300? Not likely. And, you have to irreversibly modify your intake parts... and if you're boosted, you've got 6x the potential for boost leaks (6 injector ports vs 1 hole for a nozzle), and if it doesn't work, you've got 6 holes to plug somehow, which is definitely going to make the airflow into your cyl less efficient than a bare intake mani.

Even for the cost of parts, this isn't worth the money. Again, I'll say his only hope is to prove that spraying closer to the cyl yields better efficiency somehow... and if he can't prove that, his kit isn't going to perform any better or worse than the WI kits currently on the market.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm somewhat inclined to argue his side of the story, but right now I think I will just hold off until his "meet" and hopefully he can get a dyno test done. If what he says about instant vaporization and expansion rate of water when used in the right amounts is true, I think this will be my next purchase. I wouldn't mind filling up with water everytime I got gas if it even cut my consumption to 10% although he claims 20%. Anyways, back to the waiting game...

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
JaysonMFK said:
Well I'm somewhat inclined to argue his side of the story, but right now I think I will just hold off until his "meet" and hopefully he can get a dyno test done. If what he says about instant vaporization and expansion rate of water when used in the right amounts is true, I think this will be my next purchase. I wouldn't mind filling up with water everytime I got gas if it even cut my consumption to 10% although he claims 20%. Anyways, back to the waiting game...

Make sure he tests a traditional water kit on the same car he's dyno'ing, and compare the results of those two... not just his vs stock.

In fact, have someone ELSE test the stuff out... this guy is trying to infomercial you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts