1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impreza STi @ www.autoexpress.co.uk

The good:
-0-60mph time of less than 4.5 seconds
-280bhp (keep in mind that companies usually under report their #s in Japan to get under Japan's 280hp limit.)
-373Nm (275lbs/ft) torque
-a special six-speed close-ratio gearbox
-limited slip differential
-Suspension tweaks
-bigger wheels
-lower springs
-bigger Brembo brakes
-strut braces
-more attractive and effective Xenon headlamps

The bad:
-more than 18 months away
-no mention of wether it is coming to the US. However they did mention that it was coming to Europe for the first time.

[This message has been edited by Chiphead (edited November 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the U.S. will get the 220 hp version. They must think that the sales volume wouldn't justify federalizing the car. Would make a nice track car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right the Euro/Australian spec WRX (which I'm 99% sure will be the one we get) has 215hp, but it can do 0-60 in 5.9. In Australia the WRX is about $24k which is a performance bargain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 280 HP number is NOT really a "limit", but an informal agreement among the Japanese manufacturers. Some of them started to circumvent by quoting RWHP. The "limit" will apparently be dumped very soon when the next-generation supercars arrive........

·
Registered
58 Posts
BMW and MB also have a agreement to limit the top speed to 155mph. They did this so there wouldn't be a top speed war between the two companies.

Rick Kim

Originally posted by Chiphead:
Why would they agree to the limit?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i think don schroeder(car and driver's chief editor i think?) died from testing the top speed of a renntech mercedes =(

------------------
1997 5-speed Alpine White M3 Coupe

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Who was the bonehead who thought this Superoo was a contender in the 50K sportscar department? Engage brain prior to posting please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts