Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i go to school and come back and i see geoff has started a war
just so you people know, i have NOTHING against the is300, but when the owners of the car go shooting their mouths off thinking they're the **** i'm not just gonna sit here and agree with you.. facts are facts. i have developed a respect for a lot of the members of this board, and a lot of contempt for the others. some of you shoot your mouths off like the is300 is a racing car, and when i point out that the car is not that fast in a straight line, you get all pissed off. if you can't handle the fact that there is something not so good with your car, you shouldn't have bought it. the arguments FOR buying an is300 come up all te time, oh the car has great handling. what the hell? i'm guessing most of you can't even utilize it, the car is a freaking AUTOMATIC, sure in japan it might have great handling, and it might feel great sticking ot the road, but why don't you take it to a track and bring back some first place rankings? most of you will never go to a track in your entire lives, so when you argue your RWD crap most of it is irrelevant in this situation as you don't know how to take advantage of the speed. notice, i said MOST o fyou, i know there are a few of you who have driven perforamnce cars all your life and you were just looking for something different that you found in the is300, great for you, i don't have a problem with that, that's great. totally understandable. i think some of the owners here need to re-adjust their attituddes about their car, its great to be excited at having a nice car, but don't make it into something its not.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Some people like to pretend that their car (or whatever) is something more than it really is... Is that so wrong?

My new IS300 feels heavy, and is much less "tossable" than my old MR2, but it has many nice attributes that make it a likable car.

I am very proficient with a manual trans, but I want a "self shifting" car for my icky commute.

Don't you have anything better to do than to spend so much time on is300.net trying to make people feel that the IS300 is less than perfect???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Man... you need to calm down. This is about a car. "Adjust out attitudes?" We're not talking about racism, abortion, or equality for the genders. It's about a car. If people buy a car, are misinformed about it... who cares? No one has to take on the job of being the person who cuts everyone down. Discussion is fine, correction is fine... but you seem to take it a bit personally. Just chill out... I like your posts for the most part. Everyone's entitled to their opinions... and I respect yours. If I had $8,000, I would've bought a 330i. But I digress. I think the topic of 0-60 acceleration is beaten like a long-dead horse. We understand the points of IS critics. But we are human, infact. Sometimes, we are insecure when attacked... understand that... mix with a bit of sensitivity and understanding, and this forum will be a great place to share information.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand that people are insecure etc, and i think people need to get beyond that. i know a lot of people bought this car because they wanted something different, and as i stated above, i have no problem with that. but when some guy brags about a race he had with an SI, and i say "the is is not much faster than the si" and someone tells me to stop saying negative stuff, that's plain stupidity. in actual fact, i looked this up and the SI is acutally FASTER than the IS in a straight line, now i'm being totally objective here and i still get flamed for it...whats' up with that? if i was being negative about the is, i would've said straight out the IS is not fast enough to beat an SI or something, but i didn't.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mr. Clam again has hit the nail right on the head. I am an IS300 owner, and I did not buy this car to be a performance car. I do not get upset when I read about others in this forum advising the IS is slow and can not handle, it is an automatic etc..... I know all this. I did not buy the car for performance.

The CL type S was a close second for me in my car choice. Here are the reasons I went with the IS300:

1. 4 doors
2. Lexus Name
3. Design (looks)
4. Smaller. (The CL Type S was to long for my taste)

Speed really has nothing to do with it. As far as I am concerned they are both fast cars. Yes the CL Type S is faster, 1/2 second, one second maybe 1 1/2. Big deal, so what. We will both get from point A to point B in a realtively reasonable amount of time. So the CL Type S might get there first, I don't care.

Geoff started a major war today, but you know what who cares. I love my car, I am happy with my choice. I can state that in a professional way in this forum and not lower myself to name calling and profanity.

I would like to see this forum not lower themselves to this behavior, but to each their own. I will still read the threads and enjoy the comments and even learn some things about performance etc...

Mr. Clam, you are correct, I will never take my car to a race track other then to park it in the parking lot. I have no intentions of taking something I have worked so hard for and just run it to the ground in a 1/4 mile, 0-60 whatever kind of race. That is just not what I intend to do with this car.

If I see a CL Type S, I have no intentions of raceing it, no reason to. I did not buy the car for that reason. I purchased the vehicle for its looks, lexus name and it just felt like me.

I will leave all of you with something I learned in School and from my father who was a very sucessful buisness man.

When you see a salesman or in this case Geoff who owns a CL Type S talk negative or try to bring down a competitor, you can chaulk that up to fear. Fear of what, loseing the sale, making the wrong decision. I will use Lexus as an example. When I test drove the IS300 I specifically asked the Salesman about the BMW 330I and the CL Type s. His response "They are both very good cars. I can tell you I believe the Lexus has things over those vehicles, but all three cars are great and it depends on what you want out of your car as to which one you will buy. I asked the same question of the BMW salesman, his answer when asked about the IS300 "you really do not want to consider that car, it is a piece of junk. They suck and really should not be compared to the 330i.

You tell me who is the salesman that is worried.

Sorry about the length here. Just had a lot to get off my chest.

Thank you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
MrClam,
Calm down...most of your posts have been fair, informative, and factual. Even though this is an IS300 forum, I've learned a lot about other cars from ya. As long as we keep opinions and bashing out...it's all good.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think mrclam has always been "on the edge", and all it took was having "geoff" going balistic to get mrclam started...

Lexus marketing says that the IS300 is an "edgey car" for people who want to be "sufficiently radical", so maybe mrclam is just the sort of person they expect to end up in an IS300.

I know I got myself pretty tormented over my purchase decision. I tried to slice and dice all the numbers to make sure that I got the exact car that I wanted, but when it came right down to it I ended up buying the IS300 because it "felt right" to me, not because of the performance or fuel mileage numbers I was trying to justify.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know the is300 appeals to many people my age, most of my peers are wondering why i'm sitting here busting my butt lokoing for an m3 instead of just going down to the lexus dealer and picking up an is. if i were buying a new car, the is would be among my top picks, i really think te car is great, but i don't think all of the owners are. and ISFAN, i agree, different people go for different cars for different reasons...that's how life is, different strokes for different folks. i decided i wanted to get a used m3 because i wanted a bit more performance, and for the money, you can't get better than an m3 in terms of a sedan and luxury and performance. the s4 is close but there are many reliability issues with turbos and the engine.. i am well aware of what is possible if i took say a civic and modded it to the max, but it is still a civic. the m3 was the best compromise for me with performance/luxury. now that's not true for everyone, but it is for me, and there's few that could argue that there is a better performing sedan for the buck.(especially used) but...what if i were to buy the car and come here saying that the ride in my m3 is much more luxurious than the ride in your is300....i know i'd get flamed. that's stupidity. the m3's suspension was designed for track use, not luxury cruising, granted, the is300 wasn't total luxury either, but i know there is more comfort in an is300 than a m3. if one of you pointed that out, i would accept it and tell you that its one of the choices i amde in buying the car, but i would not tell you taht you're just an m3 hater. i think its common sense.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh btw, the cars i would buy if i had to get a new one would be, in no particular order

is300
acura tl
maxima se stickshift
mercedes c-class

i don't really like the tl because of its length, but it does look like a nice car, and the only reason i woudln't really go for hte is300 is because i AM looking for more straightline speed(personal preference) and because of the way the car was marketed. the car really is a nice performer. the maxima is also a great car, its got a nice flat torque curve with an amazingly smooth ride, i love it =) i just odn't like the tailights. plus you can supercharge it from stillen for like 2.5k =) the mercedes c, well...its just an image car and it does look nice =)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I have to admit when I first joined the forum, I was upset after reading your posts. I recall telling you to go away because you have nothing positive to say about the IS. However, after reading everyone's comments, I agree that you're just being objective. My goal here is to try to get as much information as possible about my car vs. other cars, so I won't have to spend useless dollars when it comes to modification.

I wanted a BMW as well, but I couldn't afford the 330CI on my salary, nor the M3...

I think what made everyone hate Geoff so much was his attitude and his name calling. I found some of the information he's given to be useful... just not his method of expression. Does everyone agree?

------------------
Philharmonic
"Drive Safe & Godspeed Everyone!"

Auburn IS300

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mr. Clam,

If you told me the M3 was more luxurious then the IS 300 I do not believe you would get flamed. Remember it is not what you say but how you say it.

The reason Geoff got flamed and this war started was because of the way he went about it.

I have read your posts and believe me, you obvisouly have a lot of knowledge about cars, and for your age you appear to be very well versed and have posted professionaly and point wise, that is why I enjoy reading your posts. Geoff was far from that and got personal and name calling is really not called for.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i agree, after first reading the post last night, iwas like,...YEAH! FLAME WAR!!!! I SMELL IT COMING!!! :p he he....too bad it ended by the time i got home from school =) but yeah, in that other post iwth the SI vs the IS if the guy had said it must hvae been driver skill or something, i would'vej ust said nice race, but he had to add in the snob comment =)

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I have to agree with most of the comments made here... I did not buy the IS to be the fastest. I bought it for style, decent performance, comfort and features. I was ready to move on a CL but the 4 door was more appealing to me. If I waited another year maybe I would have picked up a TL S type w/ nav... There are a lot of cars out there for a reason...people like different things. The guy had to know what he was asking for when he posted...I mean he claims to be a Technical Director. You gotta have brains to get there (at least sometimes you do)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
By the way mrclam - M3s hold their value pretty well, so used ones are not exactly inexpensive.

If you purely want "bang for the buck", then a 1993 or 1994 Rx7 twin turbo will give you more performance, and can be found for under $20K.

I too considered going with a used 1997 M3 Sedan (for maybe $32K or something), but decided that I would be willing to accept some compromises (like less performance) in exchange for getting a BRAND NEW car.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
like i said, the is300 is one of the best choices if you want a brand new car right now =) however, on the rx7 comment, i agree that those are great for perforamnce, but like i said i was looking for luxury/perforamcne and the best of both worlds that i could get =) the rx7 i know does have problems with the engine at about 60k(usually needs a rebuild) and cannot fit more than 2 people comfortably, and 2 small people at that. otherwise iw ould've went straight supra with bpu+ and gotten 450+rwhp and kicked some azz :p

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Philharmonic:
Well, I have to admit when I first joined the forum, I was upset after reading your posts. I recall telling you to go away because you have nothing positive to say about the IS. However, after reading everyone's comments, I agree that you're just being objective. My goal here is to try to get as much information as possible about my car vs. other cars, so I won't have to spend useless dollars when it comes to modification.

I wanted a BMW as well, but I couldn't afford the 330CI on my salary, nor the M3...

I think what made everyone hate Geoff so much was his attitude and his name calling. I found some of the information he's given to be useful... just not his method of expression. Does everyone agree?

hey chuckles, did anyone ever consider that i'm just having a bit of fun?

it's a CAR. whee. so is my cl-s: a car. nothing more.

u all need to relax jesus

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by ISFAN:
Mr. Clam,

If you told me the M3 was more luxurious then the IS 300 I do not believe you would get flamed. Remember it is not what you say but how you say it.

The reason Geoff got flamed and this war started was because of the way he went about it.

I have read your posts and believe me, you obvisouly have a lot of knowledge about cars, and for your age you appear to be very well versed and have posted professionaly and point wise, that is why I enjoy reading your posts. Geoff was far from that and got personal and name calling is really not called for.

u can stop referring to me in the past tense.

i'm still here loafy

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
u can stop referring to me in the past tense.

i'm still here loafy

Who is referring to you in the past tense? My post said the reason you got flamed, your post is in the past tense it ocurred earlier. I did no refer to you as a person, just your post.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by ISFAN:
Who is referring to you in the past tense? My post said the reason you got flamed, your post is in the past tense it ocurred earlier. I did no refer to you as a person, just your post.

i'll make this simple for u:

any questions?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
any questions?

Nope still do not get it. I did not refer to you as someone who is no longer in this forum. I refered to the thread that you posted and the flames the proceeded. I never once implied that you were gone from the forum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
8 Participants
mrclam
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing