Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my key to my lexus is broke in half, like the part with the buttons is seperated from the actual key, so I have to hold them both together for the car to even start haha.

Question is, how much for just a new casing, i just need the plastic part that goes over the actual button....panel(i dunno what to call it). Do they even sell that? I know anew key is prolly gonna cost me like $100, tryign not to do that.

my second question, one of my dash lights went out, the one right behind the speed gauge, should i even attempt to replace that myself, or have lexus mechanic do it? I need to replace a fog as well, but i think i can do that myself, but i figure if i have to take it in, i might as well get that done too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Ok so my key to my lexus is broke in half, like the part with the buttons is seperated from the actual key, so I have to hold them both together for the car to even start haha.

Question is, how much for just a new casing, i just need the plastic part that goes over the actual button....panel(i dunno what to call it). Do they even sell that? I know anew key is prolly gonna cost me like $100, tryign not to do that.

my second question, one of my dash lights went out, the one right behind the speed gauge, should i even attempt to replace that myself, or have lexus mechanic do it? I need to replace a fog as well, but i think i can do that myself, but i figure if i have to take it in, i might as well get that done too.

Thanks in advance.
The key will cost you ALOT more than $100. If I were you, I'd check ebay.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Thanks in advance.
i can answer the key thing for you, not so much on the others

it happened to me too, u cant get the actual blade out, u might be able to, but i dont reccomend it...... theres one thing in this life that is made for this situation, without u spending over 100 dollars getting a new key and having it cut, then breaking later..

SUPERGLUE!!!!!!!!!! haha, i used it..... it works like a charm, the shell of the blade is perfectly fine, has not broke since.... i can still open the key shell and take out everything, its just u need to be really careful about it... u super glue something and it get into a place u dont want it too..... the thing that has the alarm door unlock and trunk open will get superglued too and u will end up breaking the shell trying to get it out

super glue it... i did and it works lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
The key will cost you ALOT more than $100. If I were you, I'd check ebay.
ebay will; sell u uncut key's u will have to take it to a key cutting place with your vehical vin number and they will cut it for u

its like 75 dollars for them to cut it i think

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing too, I need to have my front kit and lip repainted, for thos eof you who have done it, what am I looking to spend?

BTW: ill tryto post pics of my car pretty soon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
no no no no no no NO!

Just get the key cover... take apart your whole key, put the buttons in the new plastic cover you got from ebay for about 10 dollars and place the key into the little slip, screw the screw in and BAM!! done.

this is all you need I bet
eBay Motors: 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 LS430 IS300 LEXUS KEY (item 300185192916 end time Jan-02-08 05:10:53 PST)

the same thing happened to me... you broke the plastic cover only.. don't do what I did.. I used epoxy and some of it went into my buttons so the lock button does'nt move much anymore.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I see a lot of posts where people have a problem with the cost of keys... Is it not common for the dealership to just replace them? When I first got my car they only handed me 2 keys and I said it wasn't enough so they brought back 3 more keys... Recently I went and had brought the one key they gave me that has no buttons but still has the chip so it can start the car. They asked me where my other keys were and I just told them I didn't know and they gave me 2 more....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts