Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what sup??just wonderin if anyone out there has or has heard a/d/s/ audio in there car??ive been told that directed's high end audio sounds really nice and i was thinkin about gettin it in my car...let me know!!

thanks

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
They do make some nice stuff, but for the money you can and will do better.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
That's all personal opinion. A/D/S isn't THAT expensive. They're about the same price as most other high-end comp. sets. ~$400 for their best 6.5" comp set off of e-bay brand new. I don't think you can do much better IMO. They sound the best to me! I've always been a big A/D/S fan.

Just remember, you will have to push the comp. sets over 100watts a channel before they start to really shine and sound great. They can handle a ton of power, and they sound sweet to me!

Everyone is going to have their own opinion as far as sound goes, but I do remember a carsound article where A/D/S beat out focal and Dyn to be #1. That doesn't really mean anything to me personally, because some other people might hate the way they sound, but it does tell you that they are a well respected and high quality speaker.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A/D/S is definatley some quality speakers. However, like said here already, it's your ear, and what sounds best to you.

My experience with ADS was many years ago ('90) when they were just making there way into the auto scene.
I remember being at a local sound competition and ADS's show car was there. (It was a really nice Porsche BTW)
The system sounded incredible, by far the best car that I have heard at the time.
I know that reputations change and companies take different directions, especially over 13 years, but A/D/S still has held it's stature of top notch quality and sound reproduction.
I would definately listen to them first to see if you really like them, but I think that you will. Good luck, and good sound. :chill:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
A/D/S makes fitment easier, some component Focals ( and especially Dynaudio's big woofers ) are tough fits. Most of the a/d/s stuff is pretty much drop in.

The competition a/d/s stuff is hideously expensive. I don't think you are going to pick it up for $400 off of ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

EDIT: I just checked a/d/s' website and the hideous expensive stuff is gone. Must of stopped the competition line.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have owned a/d/s/ speakers before. I had them for about 3 years and imo they were they best speaker out there. I had them until about 2 years ago. The soft dome tweater is hands down better sounding IMO then the metalic dome tweaters. It was truly a speaker made to sound great, "not made to have a flat audio curve to 20k". I don't think you can ever go wrong with a/d/s/.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.