Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and others have already mentioned this on other topics, but for those who've not yet heard. Mercedes is having a free National driving event and they're inviting the IS300. You can register at: http://www.mbpowertrip.com
It'll be interesting to hear what Mercedes reps have to say about the IS. I've heard some have already been critical of the car's steering???

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Michael ]

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SilverLex:
I'm going tomorrow. I'll let you know what I hear. Bringing a digital camera too, so I'll try to have some pics posted.
SivlerLex,

Let us know how it goes. And post as many pics as you can. I heard at a recent event they had to halt SLK manual driving cuz someone burned the clutch. I also heard the Mercedes Driver told drivers in the IS to be careful around corners, because the steering is not very responsive.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Michael ]

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by IS4me:
man I got invited to that but wasn't old enough, sucks :p... maybe next year
No need to wait until next year, go with a friend who's old enough this year and ride along. Half the fun, but it beats reading about the event in our posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It must suck to have pretty good steering feel and a fair amount of steering effort...

Not every car is catered to people who want to be isolated from the road and have finger-light steering. The old fogeys can't have any fun driving, ya know.

Originally posted by Michael:
I've heard some have already been critical of the car's steering???

·
8,107 Posts
Actually, C Class has heavier steering than IS300 and even BMW 3 series. But I wouldn't call it better than the IS300, it's just heavier. And the IS300 still handles better, though the C class is pretty good for a Benz (or any car). (I know this cause I rented one in Germany)

Originally posted by JW:
It must suck to have pretty good steering feel and a fair amount of steering effort...

Not every car is catered to people who want to be isolated from the road and have finger-light steering. The old fogeys can't have any fun driving, ya know.

Originally posted by Michael:
[qb]I've heard some have already been critical of the car's steering???
[/QB]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Damn... the closest to me are Atlanta and Miami (I'm in Tampa), and Atlanta is booked.. Anyone near Miami going?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ugh...as of 10 am here in Atlanta, it's raining. Forcast calls for an end to rain around 2 pm. My appointment is for 3. Hopefully the pavement will dry by then.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh...as of 10 am here in Atlanta, it's raining. Forcast calls for an end to rain around 2 pm. My appointment is for 3. Hopefully the pavement will dry by then.
You should be alright, I think they'll go rain or shine! Heck, rain may even be a little more fun. But the stability control to the test

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
In my 7 runs at the LA event, they never failed to tell me the "Lexus's Hot Rod" had "twitchy sterring". I guess they are trying to say that the car feels unresponsive, but most of us who have driven the car would probably have a different opinion.

Also, the car will not be on display per se, more like they're there to compare the C-class competitiors on their track. Think Go carts.... Hope you guys have fun

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well I'm back, and still beaming ear to ear.

Cars driven included the new C 230 Kompressor, C 320, IS 300, BMW 325, , CLK 430, and the Pimpdaddy, CL55 AMG.

Ckolsen put it best. The C320 handled great, but felt much heavier more than anything. Had good pickup also, although it's tough to compare when you can't go more than 200 feet in any one direction. I was pleasantly surprised overall, and can see how it is a worthy competitor for the IS and Bimmer.

The new C 230 Kompressor was a disappointment in the "giddy up" department, but handling was pleasant. Too bad it got the rear that it did. Ack!

325 handled great, just a little doggy though. Almost all the cars were automatics.

The CLK 430 and CL55 AMG were by far the highlights. It's always nice to drive a six figure vehicle. Both just blew me away. The AMG handled so well for such a large vehicle, and even with some hard cornering it felt like it was glued to the raod...and the acceleration - good Lord. It begged to be spanked, and I beat it red.

Overall, a very classy event. A lot of gray hair there, but that was ok. It made for some short lines in the hot laps course, which was an experience I'll never forget. The lot was wet the entire time, and let's just say the drifting wasn't a challenge for the fine drivers. A friend of mine was lucky enough to be in one that lost control and pulled a 360.

This is Disney Land for adults and a must for any car enthusiast. Forgive me if I screwed up on some of the model names or numbers.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm back, and still beaming ear to ear.....This is Disney Land for adults and a must for any car enthusiast. Forgive me if I screwed up on some of the model names or numbers.

OH damn!!!
I'm gettin' giddy just thinkin about it. I have to wait until the 16th for the Chicago event. But it's great bait just hearin about it. For those who attended. Do they let you push the vehicle on your own personal drive? At the Ultimate Drive the instructors encouraged us to really push the cars to the limit. So SilverLex, Besides the IS, what was your next most favorite car, in the same price category. Also, were there any manuals at the event?

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This is Disney Land for adults and a must for any car enthusiast. Forgive me if I screwed up on some of the model names or numbers.

Well, it probably won't be quite the Disney Land, since the cars aren't exactly Benz's, but check out this driving event run by Skip Barber's Driving School:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/chrysler_ride_drive.xml

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
IS-F-I-Found
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing