Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 IS300. Really disappointed, just spent close to $50 on a can of AC Pro with the gauge, followed all the instructions I've seen on here and no dice. Car is blowing hot air and its hot as hell here. I've attached an image I found of the location of the low pressure side, is this not it or something?? There was no cap on it, I think it broke off if there is supposed to be one. Anyhow I turned the car on cranked the AC plugged into the port shown in image, the pressure was about 25 psi, so I pulled the trigger and rotated the can back and forth and kept checking the gauge until it got to about 45 psi or middle of green on gauge. The can is about empty at this point. I checked the air and still blowing hot. I then turned the car off before removing it from the AC port(which maybe I was supposed to remove it with the car still running??). When I removed the plug(with the car now off) it started violently spraying out of the AC port shown in image. What the heck did I do wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Did it all spray out? It's not unusual to get some residual Freon to evaporate after you disconnect. The high and low pressure size valves are different sizes do, it's unlikely you used the wrong on. A can of Freon won't help you if the system is really low.

Is the compressor actually engaging? The compressor won't even come on till you have enough Freon pressure.

Recharging this way is 1/2 assed at best. If it works great but it's not shocking if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the whole entire amount that was put in sprayed out. It was spraying a bit of colored liquid at the start and it just kept spraying air violently for a good 3 or more minutes. I walked away from the car cause I didn't know what the heck was going on and it smelled awful.

I think I put too much in, the gauge wasn't going up very quick so I kept holding down the trigger, then suddenly it seemed to shoot up past 45 psi.

I'm pretty sure the compressor was engaging. Without the car on I hooked it up and the pressure shot up all the way into the red. When I turned the car and ac on and attached it the pressure was at about 25. So I believe that means the compressor was engaging?
Either way what do I do now, I'm a bit worried about messing with it more and damaging something if I haven't already.
All the instructions I've seen it seemed pretty straight forward and simple, frustrating.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Either way what do I do now, I'm a bit worried about messing with it more and damaging something if I haven't already.
Sounds like the shrader valve got damaged so it all sprayed out. I'd probably look at the valve and see if it's pressed in or missing. If you lost it all, you'll have to get the valve replaced (or do it yourself) then get the system vacuumed down and recharged.

Basically a conventional AC service.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think if it is damaged its from putting too much in and running pressure too high? Or it was likely already damaged? It's been missing the cap for a while now I believe but it's been working fine. Been hearing a noise inside the car like it's pissed, mostly when starting the car up, so I knew something was up but procrastinated.

Doing things myself all this time has paid off, not this time! End up costing me a ton now probably.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Do you think if it is damaged its from putting too much in and running pressure too high?
I think you mechanically damaged it or by connecting up without cleaning it out first, you drove some crud into the mechanism. I always clean out the port before I connect anything to it. Particularly since yours didn't have a cap.

Doing things myself all this time has paid off, not this time! End up costing me a ton now probably.
It's always hardest the first time. I studied HVAC pretty regularly till I felt comfortable vacuuming down and re-filling mine. You have to keep in mind that cars innerds are as precision as a Swiss watch. Even small amounts of dirt can mess things up.

I honestly think you either bent the valve or there dirt or something stuck in there. The valve can be unscrewed and replaced just like on a tire.

·
Mr. Roo
9,728 Posts
I'm realizing that my A/C stopped working probably because of lowering freon levels, until it just doesn't run at all anymore. I haven't had A/C in a few years. When my front end was replaced, I figured that they'd recharge the system, but they probably didn't. I was thinking of trying to fill it myself with the cans from Walmart, but now I'm not sure lol

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wow. You jumped right in without knowing anything about ac. Your $50 can of freon may have cost you $2,000 repair. Well, why start doing it right now.

The system holds 23oz of 134a which is not quite 2 cans of 12oz. The 134a the system wont cool if its under charged or over charged. So you need to know how much is actually in there. That means evacuate the system and start from scratch. It will cost you about $10 for two cans of 134a, $50 for a guage set at harbor freight, and rent a vacuum pump from autozone for free. Watch a few youtube videos and do it right. First, you need to replace the schrader valve because you bent it with that cheapo can of shit you pumped in. Autozone has a valve kit for $8 i think, to replace the valves and it includes a tool to remove it. Or you can shortcut it by vacuuming the system and refilling untill the sightglass up by the radiator goes from bubbles to clear. Makes the job much easier than measuring ounces. All in, it might cost you $60. Or pay a shop to recharge it and plan on double that.

Here's the link for youtube.
https://youtu.be/lglPJuBXVeE

Lets hope that the crud you pushed into the system didnt contaminate the ac and now needs flushing.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was thinking of trying to fill it myself with the cans from Walmart, but now I'm not sure lol
Tobias, I've successfully tossed in a can or two and had the AC work fine after that. It wasn't an IS though. You just have to be a bit careful and clean out the valve before you hook up. IM QUIKR's way is the best way obviously but that doesn't mean you can't 1/2 ass it. If the compressor won't come on (the electric clutch on front) you probably don't have enough pressure in the system to activate it.

The cheap gauge on the refill can will tell you something and when the compressor starts to click on you know you've at least got the minimum fill.

The manual has a pretty good description of the process. I'd read that as well as watching Quickers youtube video. AC isn't complicated but you do have to pay attention to details.

I'm going to be doing a vacuum and fill on my spare IS as soon as I get the fans mounted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The system holds 23oz of 134a which is not quite 2 cans of 12oz. The 134a the system wont cool if its under charged or over charged. So you need to know how much is actually in there. That means evacuate the system and start from scratch. It will cost you about $10 for two cans of 134a, $50 for a guage set at harbor freight, and rent a vacuum pump from autozone for free. Watch a few youtube videos and do it right. First, you need to replace the schrader valve because you bent it with that cheapo can of shit you pumped in. Autozone has a valve kit for $8 i think, to replace the valves and it includes a tool to remove it. Or you can shortcut it by vacuuming the system and refilling untill the sightglass up by the radiator goes from bubbles to clear. Makes the job much easier than measuring ounces. All in, it might cost you $60. Or pay a shop to recharge it and plan on double that.
Here's the link for youtube.
https://youtu.be/lglPJuBXVeE
Update:
Followed the pointers and youtube link above and was able to recharge the A/C. I first replaced the Schrader valve and then went and borrowed a vacuum pump and also was able to borrow a gauge set from Autozone all for a $285 deposit which was fully refunded once I returned everything. I'm wondering if all I had to do was replace the valve instead of having to bother with the pump and gauge set. Either way didn't want to take any chances and they were free anyway. Make sure you buy the connection that taps into the refrigerant can and connects the can to the middle hose of the gauge set, it was only like 6 bucks.
Thanks for the help above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 IS300. Really disappointed, just spent close to $50 on a can of AC Pro with the gauge, followed all the instructions I've seen on here and no dice. Car is blowing hot air and its hot as hell here. I've attached an image I found of the location of the low pressure side, is this not it or something?? There was no cap on it, I think it broke off if there is supposed to be one. Anyhow I turned the car on cranked the AC plugged into the port shown in image, the pressure was about 25 psi, so I pulled the trigger and rotated the can back and forth and kept checking the gauge until it got to about 45 psi or middle of green on gauge. The can is about empty at this point. I checked the air and still blowing hot. I then turned the car off before removing it from the AC port(which maybe I was supposed to remove it with the car still running??). When I removed the plug(with the car now off) it started violently spraying out of the AC port shown in image. What the heck did I do wrong?
Wrong hole bro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts