Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
couldn't find anything like this in a search... i have an '04 with an a/c noise that sounds like the start of a siren.

the sound lasts maybe a second. it seems to happen when the car is hot, the a/c is left in the "on" position and i shut off the car (like when you fill up for gas). sometimes when the car is restarted (5-10 mins) the /ac lets out this high-pitched siren-like sound. the a/c works fine regardless, but man, is it embarrassing!

took it to the dealer and they replaced the compressor... that didn't fix it.

anyone else have this problem? probably not if i couldn't find anything. any ideas are helpful.
thx-b

·
Registered
672 Posts
i got the same problem on my 04 is. when the AC is on, that real loud whiny siren noise pops outta no where, then its quite. it only makes that noise when the AC is on. weird. i dont know what it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
illegalkigga said:
i got the same problem on my 04 is. when the AC is on, that real loud whiny siren noise pops outta no where, then its quite. it only makes that noise when the AC is on. weird. i dont know what it is.
nah, it's not a loose belt. that would be more like a squeel.

illegalkigga-at least it's good to know i'm not the only one. this rogue noise is so fast the dealer can't even trace it to anything. it happens to me only when it's dallas hot (95+). not in the winter.

i'll just keep bringing it back to the dealer until it's fixed. hopefully.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
i had the same pitch in my '02 (had the fan blower replaced a few months back, that's when the noise started). it happens when the fan is set to OFF -> LOW
There's a whined up noise for a second, then disappears. if you set it to anything higher, you don't hear it.

The noise just went away one day...
go figure,

Have your dealership check out the fan blower.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
happysmp said:
i had the same pitch in my '02 (had the fan blower replaced a few months back, that's when the noise started). it happens when the fan is set to OFF -> LOW
There's a whined up noise for a second, then disappears. if you set it to anything higher, you don't hear it.

The noise just went away one day...
go figure,

Have your dealership check out the fan blower.
the sound i'm referring to is coming from under the hood. i can sometimes feel the gas or brake pedals vibrate when it's happening.

was that your problem... or was yours inside the cabin?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The inside the cabin noise is the interior blower fan motor. Mine was replaced.
The underhood noise is most likely the expansion valve sticking.

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts