Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced my tensioner pulley in my 01 is a few months back...when i put everything back together, i put in a new red top battery and was expecting it to be good...apparently not though...i had it running for one day, then the belt started squealing horribly again and the battery drained totally...there was a burning smell and the squeal seemed to be coming from the ac...almost as if the pulley was totally seized...

1. is this something that can happen?...can the clutch on the ac lock and keep it from spinning?

2. if it is, do you think the entire compressor needs to be swapped or can the pulley/clutch be changed separate?...the only reason is that the pulley is MUCH easier to swap than the compressor (that thing is deep in and doesnt look like it comes out easy)

3. would it be just that that would drain or do you think i could have a drain somewhere else?...when i turned the car off the first time, it started fine again...but when i went to start it again it was dead

·
Registered
22 Posts
well ur ac has no way to charge your battery, so i would first suspect your alternator which can put a smell off if it seizes. the alternator is what recharges your battery while the car is running, so either the alternator is bad or the wire from the alternator to the battery could be broke, frayed, or possible burnt all the way thru which iv had happen before on a truck. and im pretty sure you can replace a clutch pully on ur ac but the compressor still would have to be pulled.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts