Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well I've tried searching the forum for my kind of problem but havent come across a thread yet.

But today when I turned on my A/C I started getting vibration that shouldnt be there. I get the normal vibration from turning on the A/C but this one is a big vibration. I could even hear it inside the cabin. It doesnt vibrate when i put the fan speed to Low but when it gets faster something starts vibrating and makes vibration noise.

Sounds like a phone vibrating on a wooden desk.

Do you guys have any idea what it might be? This socal heat is KILLING ME.. I hope my AC doesnt go bad..

(I posted here after I posted on clublexus, thought there would be more people who would answer here :))

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
If the vibration increases with fan speed, it is probably the blower fan.

Reactions: jasonm4

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
^^^^agreed. If it changed with speed....your fan must be hitting something or possibly foreign object in the shroud.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I posted the exact same issue just a couple of weeks.
Same thing...vibration occurs somewhere behind the drivers steering wheel.

It's like the normal A/C vibration when you turn on the A/C but much more and louder.
Only really happens when the car is first started. Tried turning off the A/C with just the fan going and same thing...also it's really prevalent when I've braked and the car is at a stop.

Trying to schedule an appointment at the garage this week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought blower fan motor was behind the glove box. I wouldv said put an ear near the glovebox area but this puts a damper on my troubleshooting

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
When I had vibration, I isolated which servo it was by putting my finger on the servos to see which one was vibrating ... I know, dumb, but it works.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i have the same problem, also noticed my volt meter would drop after i turned on the ac, i had my alternator changed but it hasnt really helped the noise. Anyone find the solution to this yet? Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had this issue a couple of times after parking the car at a gas station and walking in to get a drink. When I come out and pop it into reverse A/C on (Automatic, keep in mind) it sounds and feels like there's a pulsation leading through the steering. I actually got out to make sure there wasn't anything caught in the wheel well because it sounded/felt like my tire was rubbing against something as I was backing out of the parking space with the steering wheel locked to the left. Mentioned it to my mechanic and described it as similar to a "pulsation or vibration as you feel when your rotors are wet and they pulsate at very low speeds" and he told me certain cars are notorious for that while pointing at a Buick (Century? Maybe a LeSabre), saying they vibrate or pulsate like mad and that there's actually nothing wrong, it's just the A/C.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
well i went to the garage and unfortunately the car wasn't acting up so no joy there.
I did manage to catch it once when the car was started cold... threw on the parking brake, got out, popped the hood and surprisingly I couldn't isolate where the noise/vibration was coming from.

hasn't happened in a while...I'll keep monitoring but this is NOT normal.
Car's been running great for years on years...this is definitely something new and something going wrong.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, so it feels like we're swimming in the Devil's Vagina here in So [email protected]@

This damn vibration started happening again.. only this time my AC stopped blowing cold too..

So when I turn on the A/C on the Lowest fan speed, it does not vibrate like crazy and make a crazy vibrating/buzzing noise in my dash or all my pedals. Anything above the Low fan speed settings I start getting the mad vibrating/buzzing sound AND feeling in All my pedals.

When I turn the A/C off the vibration/buzzing/sounds stop.

anyone have an idea what it might be?

·
Registered
359 Posts
have you inspected you cabin ac fan..? maybe its got a couple of broken fins causing it to be unbalanced at higher speeds... make sure you inspect it well...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so if that breaks then it could cause a serious vibration?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
If you lower your glove compartment box, you can see the blower fan module on the right side. Check there next time if you have a vibration. Once you stick your head in there it will be VERY obvious if the vibration is indeed from there. Try putting your finger on the part to feel if the vibration is coming from it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just started having this issue as well.. besides the vibrating though, i also get what sounds like a little birdy chirping around the glove box area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks + rep for finding something like this.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Recently I have been searching the net for the same problem. Excuss my grammar and spell please.
· An Abnormal viberation that comes and goes when the AC Compressor kicks on or has been on for some time.
· An Abnormal viberation emitting from the passager side of the car while running the AC, sounding like a Cell Phone viberating on a wooden table.
· An Abnormal viberation off and on when the AC Fan speed is set to High. Not to often on lower speeds.

Like many people of today trying to save a buck, I am a "Do It Yourselfer." Summer was approaching and my wife's 03 Beetle wasn't blowing that cold anymore. So I ran down to the Auto store and purchased a can of A/C Pro 134A Refrigerant with a guage / connector. Read the direction and thought I did everything correct at the time. The AC blew colded and ran great.
Summer hit and then the "Problem" ocurred. Many sites Suggested it to be the Heater Blower Motor making the viberating noise due to be coming from the passager side, which it is located under the Glove Compartment.

Yes this can be one of the problems you can be experiencing due to:
· Blower Wheel having trash or something in it.
· Blower Wheel having damaged fins causing it to be off balanced
· Blower Wheel just being off balanced some how

Since the Beetle is 9 years old, I figure that it had to be it and replaced it as a whole Motor and Wheel, $109 part. Extremely easy to do on any other car, but on a VW you have to take off your passager side dash that holds the Glove box. Still an Easy job though. However, this did not correct the problem and it came to my attention that the Compressor was clicking on and off "Way too Frequently" now. So I grab my little AC Gauge from the Frigerant can and slapped it on the port. It was now reading that it had waaaaaay tooooo much in the line when the Compressor would shut off but would be fine when it enaged.

In the end all I had to do was bleed some Refrigerant off slowly til the Compressor Kicked on. I then would put the guage back on see what it read if it disenaged on its own. Course it still being too high, I just repeat the step. Making sure that it didn't turn on and off with a 10 minute period, though I did let it run for move like 45 minutes while talking to a nieghbor in front of it. At that time the Compressor didn't turn off at all.
So all in all be care not to Overcharge your system or it can create that annoy Abnormal Viberation. Further more after coming to this conclusion I decided to look up Overcharging your AC Line and found this helpful Link that gives you a diagonsis and solution if you have the AC Manifold Guages.

Volkswagen Jetta ac does not blow cold air

1 - 20 of 26 Posts