Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My 2002 Sportcross needs a new motor and I've found a 1999 GS300 motor for a good deal and I was wondering if there was anything weird I'd run into trying to swap it in. I couldn't find anything on the google side so I've resorted to this.

Thanks,
Seb

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
In California, if you put a new engine in a car, it has to be the same year or newer - that was what I was referring to. Not sure about the laws of other states.
That is funny. The engine is exactly the same. Unless you can read the julian date on the block. Even that is useless. You can use your ECU on it. So it would be just like getting a replacment head or short block. So as long as the ECU and all the smog stuff is there. It is the same thing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Its not funny, we put up with so many BS smog laws. We fail merely by visual - they wont even perform a actual test after that. CEL, you fail. I cant swap in a Supra Turbo 2JZGTE, even though it passes smog. No headers, no single cat, etc............... We have some smog places that will not run you with a after market intake, even though its got its CARB/EO sticker. I think that some places run a scam with the state. Some places can be bought off, but some of us cannot or should not be doing that depending what we do for a living.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Its not funny, we put up with so many BS smog laws. We fail merely by visual - they wont even perform a actual test after that. CEL, you fail. I cant swap in a Supra Turbo 2JZGTE, even though it passes smog. No headers, no single cat, etc............... We have some smog places that will not run you with a after market intake, even though its got its CARB/EO sticker. I think that some places run a scam with the state. Some places can be bought off, but some of us cannot or should not be doing that depending what we do for a living.
I know what you mean. But on the motor thing it is fine. Otherwise you could never get a replacement from the factory or anywhere. The issue is the ECU and sensors that they use. Witch California is a bit stupid. I have swaped emission controlled stuff. The Clean air people said it had to have all the same pollution control stuff the orginal had and pass the sniffer with visual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts