Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealer. They want $2400 for the full service. Includes timing belt, water pump, tranny service, power steering flush, injector flush, differential fluids, and so on.

Do I need all that stuff? They said $1600 for the timing belt and water pump, plus some other stuff.

I drive a '04 MT, with 95k (95% freeway) miles. No mods.

·
Registered
266 Posts
from a dealer? I know a guy that has worked on my car before (comes to the house and works on it here), said it would cost $1k. Another guy from the same dealer called me back said that they can do it for $1300.
Toyota dealership did it. I even told someone about it on this forum and they got it for the same price as me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Took mine to toyota. I got the timing belt, seals, and water pump done for $758. As for the tranny service, power steering flush, injector flush, differential fluids, just do all that yourself (you'll save yourself alot of money) I think there is a DIY for everyone of those on this site!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just had mine done by a VERY reputable local shop for $375 + I bought all my own parts. He did the timing belt, water pump, changed all fluids including the diff and transmission, and of course spark plugs. All in all I spent about $700ish I think? (and that's with genuine oem parts, not autozone)

·
Registered
202 Posts
lexus dealer quoted 1,000 for timing belt and water pump, local import shop with great repuation said 400 for labor and whatever parts are and at that they shouldn't be over 200, so around 600 total is what i was quoted, not bad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got quoted 850$
from Lexus? I'm probably going to go to toyota, $1,100 for everything including tranny flush, plugs, differential flush...

For some reason my mechanic doesn't want to do it. He said changing the timing belt is not necessary until 150k miles or 10 years! He'll do all the other stuff for me, but I probably go with toyota, since they'll do everything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just completed the 90K service myself by following the DIY posted on this forum. Lexus quoted me $1590 for the service. 90K includes the timing belt so it's not an "extra" charge like some other shops tried to explain to me when I was shopping around. I bought all the parts and tools and paid approx $400 for the entire job. It took me 4-5 hours to do the whole thing. If you really don't want to do it yourself and you live in the SF Bay Area there is top notch Toyota shop in SF. The guy is a former Lexus/Toyota master mechanic he opened his own shop called the Toy Shop. Look it up on Yelp the guy runs one of the most honest repair shops in the Bay Area. He will not rip you off he'll actually try to save you money because he values your business more than making a buck. I like to get my hands dirty so I chose to do it myself if I didn't I would have taken it to him in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
I got mine done for about $600 with parts and labor. It was my local shop that I take my cars too all the time. There very reputable and have done and excellent job for the past 14yrs.

from Lexus? I'm probably going to go to toyota, $1,100 for everything including tranny flush, plugs, differential flush...

For some reason my mechanic doesn't want to do it. He said changing the timing belt is not necessary until 150k miles or 10 years! He'll do all the other stuff for me, but I probably go with toyota, since they'll do everything.
I heard that if the timing suggests 90k, you can wait till 130k to do it. But if you wait to long after 90k, youll have a better chance of breaking the belt. And our cars motor will bend valves, when the belt breaks.
So its really up to the owner of the vehicle to decide when they want to change the belt.
I do mine every 100k. But this last time, I had to do my 2nd belt early, due to my water pump going out. 40k miles earlier than I wanted to do it. Grrrr :pissed:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.