Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading and reading throughout the forums on switching fluids and when is a bad time to do so. I have read a lot of information, but have not found the answer I am looking for. I am approaching my 90k service, and am considering switching the tranny/diff fluids to either Redline or Amsoil synthetic. I thought about going synthetic with the oil as well, but I am concerned with the mileage and possible leaks with crossing over. I purchased the car with 50k on the clock, and have done every maintenance/service required per schedule. Don't flame and say search, I have already done so. Pretty much, would it be a bad idea to switch over with the mileage on the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
def go for the syntehtic...

as for diff fluid, go with REDLINE...;)

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
HAHA it will help if anything. I use Royal purple for everything. slightly over priced but worth it. Redline products are amazing as well. I switched to synthetic around 75k and i feel safer pushing the car and i love and glad i switched.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to hear two positive responses, especially at the mileage. I have always been told its a bad idea to change over to synthetic with a higher mileage vehicle. I guess its on to ordering parts and fluids then. Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
royal purple for the win.

synthetic, of course. I havnt had any leaks or anything, it will be a bit more expensive but I love it. everything just feels... smoother..

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
yeah, i switched over at 78k and havent looked back. car runs smoother and no problems with leaks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
don't take my word for it but if i remember correctly from automotive class...the piston rings may have worn down from the previous, more abrasive oil so that when you switch over to the finer, smoother synthetic oil, it may blow by the piston rings and burn inside the cylinder. but i believe if you kept up on your oil changes, it might by ok. perhaps if you switch to a higher viscosity synthetic oil?? you cant really tell. oh well. better sooner than later. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
At that high mileage I would strongly recommend against switching to synthetic motor oil. You could cause leaks.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
At that high mileage I would strongly recommend against switching to synthetic motor oil. You could cause leaks.
No you couldn't.

Synthetic oil doesn't cause leaks, it -finds- leaks. Big difference.

The correct response to it doing so is not to run thicker, inferior oil.

It's to fix the leaks.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
don't take my word for it but if i remember correctly from automotive class...the piston rings may have worn down from the previous, more abrasive oil so that when you switch over to the finer, smoother synthetic oil, it may blow by the piston rings and burn inside the cylinder. but i believe if you kept up on your oil changes, it might by ok. perhaps if you switch to a higher viscosity synthetic oil?? you cant really tell. oh well. better sooner than later. :p
No...read this:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/myths-of-synthetic-oils/

It may find leaks as stated above, but it shouldnt blow by the rings.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Ive been using Synthetic Mobil1 oil and rear diff. since 30k.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
MYTH: Switching to systhetic oil will cause leaks on high mileage cars.

There is no factual basis to this myth. You can switch to synthetic oil at any time or mileage....as long as your engine is in good mechanical condition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MYTH: Switching to systhetic oil will cause leaks on high mileage cars.

There is no factual basis to this myth. You can switch to synthetic oil at any time or mileage....as long as your engine is in good mechanical condition.
Research it in real forums, not in a forum full of teenagers.
I'll stick to Pennzoil Conventional.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts

If you want to stick to inferior oil, you go right ahead.

If you have any even vaguely-based-in-reality engineering explanation for how synthetic oil can possibly -cause- a leak though, feel free to provide it.

In fact, even the folks from Pennzoil say you're wrong.

Motor Oil; Filters

“Synthetic oil will not make seals leak,” says Pennzoil.

Guess their engineers are all teenagers, eh?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
and if you knew what the hell you were talking about you would know that pennzoil conventional used to be NOTORIOUS for sludging motors since the paraffins heat up and cool down and form sludge...-rep for being a newbie smartass

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Lets keep it on topic guys :rolleyes:

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love to argue with little teenage girls, spoiled brats whose parents bought them expensive cars ..... read and learn, boys, read and learn ....

Whether synthetic oil is bad stuff or good stuff depends on who you talk to, but you should not base your opinion on what you've "heard around here", and c'mon, the ones of you that can "feel" the difference when they made the switch, give me a break, i bet you also notice your car running faster after you wash it right? And a lot of what you hear from backyard mechanics is rumor and myth. Myth # 1 is the claim that you don't have to change Synthetic oil as often as regular motor oil. Remember when Mobil 1 said you could go 25,000 miles between oil changes with synthetic oil? Notice they haven't said that for a good number of years? Keep that thought on the back burner for now... Myth #2 is that synthetic oil causes oil leaks. In this article I'm going to try to dispell these myths for you with the cold hard facts about the differences and similarities between dino vs. synthetic oil.

Let's talk first about what "dino" oil is (Dino is short for Dinosaur, which is when it started forming). Dino oil is created from something called "Base Stock". Base stock what the oil companies get after they have processed the crude oil that comes from the ground. From there, additives are combined with the Base Stock, to create our motor oil. There are 7 main additives which include anti-foaming agents, anti-corrosion, etc, etc. At the molecular level, dino oil contains molecules of varying sizes. Imagine the floor of a gymnasium covered with basketballs, baseballs, volleyballs, and beach balls. Now imagine that all those different size "balls" are moving around, flowing past the floor. Every time a ball surface contacts the floor surface, the ball absorbs heat from the floor. That is how oil removes heat from your engine components, from surface to surface contact.

Now imagine the same gymnasium floor covered in uniformly sized golf balls. Smaller, more uniform molecules can absorb more heat from a surface, because there are more of them AND they have a larger surface to volume ratio which means they have more surface area contact. That's what synthetic oil is. A man-made "Base Stock", where all the molecules are the same size, and smaller than those in dino oil. Better heat transfer, better lubricating properties, and a lot wider temperature range without breakdown, are now obtained.

Myth #1 debunked

Oil does not break down under normal use. This is true of both dino and synth oil and is also the reason why you take oil to the Recycling Center and not the trash dump. So if oil itself doesn't ever degrade, why do we have to change it? The answer is twofold: additives and contamination. It will probably surprise you to learn that synthetic oil has all the same additives that dino oil has! The additives in oil DO break down, which is part of what necessitates oil changes. The other reason for regular oil changes is that with use, motor oil becomes contaminated (dirt, water, acids, etc). Using synthetic oil does not protect against either of these problems, which is why you CANNOT go further between oil changes when running a synthetic. You should still change your synthetic oil at the same intervals as you do with dino oil. Anyone want to guess how many claims Mobil 1 had to pay to people that were going 25,000 miles between changes?

Myth #2 debunked

Synthetic oil causing oil leaks is another commonly spread myth. The truth of the matter is that if all your engine seals and gaskets are in good condition, synthetic oil will NOT leak in your engine. The myth started because on occasion, an engine will leak with synthetic oil, but not dino oil. The reason for this is that the smaller molecules of the synthetic are able to get past very small crevices, where the larger molecules of dino oil cannot. But this does not mean that the synthetic oil has caused the leak, it simply has "discovered" an infant leak, and regardless of what oil you are running, this infant leak will eventually grow to a size that will allow dino oil to occupy and pass also. Synthetic oil has not been shown to deteriorate engine seals or gaskets. It is not some evil solvent that will break down sealant, or anything like that. Like was said earlier, it is just a man-made base stock, that is uniform and smaller in molecule size than dino oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is one thing I need to clarify though -- if you are not running an oil filter, there really is no point to using synthetic since your oil is going to become contaminated very quickly. Your engine will still benefit somewhat from it, but due to the higher cost of synthetic oil, the gain of running it before it becomes contaminated is negligible. But, hey, what do i know, i'm a newbie, newbie to what, to a forum with a couple of spoiled teenagers? I guess that's why i hard such a hard time finding an unmolested IS.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Post references (articles from scientific journals) to your claims or otherwise you're just like every "teenager" here that says "do this and do that." If you want an intellectual debate then bring your references and do not come here and belittle people.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I love to argue with little teenage girls, spoiled brats whose parents bought them expensive cars ..... read and learn, boys, read and learn ....

I'm confused.

Your previous post was about how synthetic oil can cause leaks, and he should stick to conventional just like smart ole you does.

Now this post where we should read and learn directly contradicts that and explains in some detail how wrong you were.

It's also the same source I provided to you earlier.

So the only thing I learned was that you're still wrong.

Was there another lesson in there?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts