Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 100K miles on a 2005 and am overdue for the 90K service; have been doing regular oil changes recently, but not a more complete service.

Lexus of Serramonte quoted me $1114 for the 90K service but they do not include a timing belt replacement as per the Lexus Maintenance schedule. Is that common. They quote me an additional $2000 for a "timing belt package"

Timing Belt package===== $2000 + tax
Timing belt / outside drive belt / water pump / oil seal / tensioner pulley / idler pulley / coolant……….

So, they are asking $3114 in total.

I compared to City Toyota who would do a 90K service that includes timing belt for $2000 to $2500 (not sure why there is such a big range in the estimate).
City Toyota would alternately charge $1800 for timing belt replacement and also water pump, bearings and seals.

It seems more expensive than prices that I saw mentioned here. But many of those are from 10 years ago. Is this what it costs now?

·
Registered
2002 is300
403 Posts
That seems about right. I hope both include replacing ignition components as well. The difference between dealers might be due too labor rates, Lexus generally charges more per hour then Toyota. The range in parts might be because along the way the might find other stuff that needs to be replaced and want to include that as well.

·
Registered
2002 is300
403 Posts
Thanks for your comment @Thatblueis
Here is what see for the estimate of the 90K. Anything misisng?

View attachment 141479

For comparison, from the maintenance schedule:
View attachment 141480
Seems right minus the timing belt stuff, 90k is just all fluids and filters and anpect . When doing the timing belt there's a lot of stuff I would replace while you're there that might no be included in the timing belt service like valve cover gaskets and pcv etc. it's not just the belt.

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
I would recommend looking at mechanic places other than dealers. The dealer price is already going to be high, but especially so for an old car like this that they don't want to work on. And with everything else going on in the world that is hurting dealerships, yeah they are going to mark up the prices like they are doing on everything. Meanwhile in contrast, mechanic shops are still just as busy as ever trying to maintain even more older vehicles since people can't afford (or find) new ones. So I'd shop around more.

·
Registered
2002 is300
403 Posts
You are all very right that it's alot of money. But that's what dealers charge for major services. I'd hope all said and done it comes out to 2k. If you ask a dealer why they charge so much it'll come down to oem parts and warrenty. If it goes wrong the dealership was warrenty on there work. If a shop messes it up you might get a warrenty maybe not though. If you can find a place to do it the service itself isn't that bad and could be done in a weekend. Maybe one of those do it yourself places.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You are all very right that it's alot of money. But that's what dealers charge for major services. I'd hope all said and done it comes out to 2k. If you ask a dealer why they charge so much it'll come down to oem parts and warrenty. If it goes wrong the dealership was warrenty on there work. If a shop messes it up you might get a warrenty maybe not though. If you can find a place to do it the service itself isn't that bad and could be done in a weekend. Maybe one of those do it yourself places.
Eh...I've seen dealerships place blame on the customer when something goes wrong and not warranty it. They are also in the business of making money so if they can avoid warrantying something, they will. I've seen dealerships blame a faulty engine code on an aftermarket exhaust. Code had nothing to do with the exhaust but they voided the warranty because of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received an alternate 90K service as well. This option "follows the book". It includes the timing belt, but "nothing else… no water pump/ no tensioners and other drive belt". It also adds Cooling system exchange that was not on prvious.

Also does not include transmission fluid drain and fill, differential oil service, differential service, fuel optimizer & throttle body, wiper insert replacement.

Former was what the dealer recommended in particular to my car given age and maintenance records. This is according to the lexus book and totals $1414.

Working backwards, I see that the previous estimate of $1700 more for the items deleted from this estimate (and then whatever the cost of cooling system exchange might add). Don't know how reasonable the costs are, but interesting that the dealership is attempting to customize for my car's condition.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts