Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put a different brighter bulb in their reverse lights? mine suck i cant see anything at night. i retrofitted 9005 bulbs in my tails, they fit fine and work good, so far. i havent tested at night yet tho.

i guess... will the 9005 bulb harm my wiring or my tail light?

also has anyone done anything else to their reverse lights to make them brighter? anyone go HID, i saw one thread about putting HID's in there but it wasnt very informative.

thanks for your help
jason

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
why would you need brighter reverse lights? i don't get it :confused: i'm sure that will harm your harness in some way or another

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fast response man thanks, idk im bored and tired of opening my door, and sticking my head everytime i have to back up.

you think it would mess my wiring up?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Also, it might melt the housing, even though the reverse lights might be on momentarily, I don't think the plastic housing is made to deal with the intense heat a 9005 might put out.

·
1,621 Posts
Also, it might melt the housing, even though the reverse lights might be on momentarily, I don't think the plastic housing is made to deal with the intense heat a 9005 might put out.
Good point!

So it looks like HID would be the better choice since there would be alot less heat given off and it would be alot brighter!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i'd love to see this as well, or a high power LED. my LEDs are not that different from stock, just whiter in appearance

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
I've already begun modding the stock connector so I can plug in HIDs in the reverses.

I wanted to be the first to do it, pointless or not, I have an old HID kit that won't sell for sheet, and high powered LEDs, while intensely bright when looking directly at that them, they don't do so well when it comes to lighting up the road behind me.

And thats with 3 watt Luxeon LEDs with integrated reflectors.

Will have pics once I get everything wired.

·
13,727 Posts
I want to be the first person to strap a jet engine on my IS. They say it cant be done, but we'll see....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would recomend going with led instead. Xenon reverse bulbs are highly illegal and you will get pulled over in a second. I have about 20 leds for reverse lamps and they are plenty (even with 5% tint). If you want an easy route, look for the plug-n'-play leds. I think chado or nigell, they seem to have went through alot of led bulbs.

If you must have hid reverse lamps, here's a picture of how it will turn out. I believe this is on a Tacoma.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I would recomend going with led instead. Xenon reverse bulbs are highly illegal and you will get pulled over in a second. I have about 20 leds for reverse lamps and they are plenty (even with 5% tint). If you want an easy route, look for the plug-n'-play leds. I think chado or nigell, they seem to have went through alot of led bulbs.

If you must have hid reverse lamps, here's a picture of how it will turn out. I believe this is on a Tacoma.

yeah, that's a little too much :lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Those HID reverse lights are brighter than some of my friend's headlights.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Give me all the shit you want, but I got spare parts, and I'm going to do it. I've already done LEDs, they aren't enough. 3 watt luxeons to boot. I'm going HID. The IS300 reverse reflector is not as big, and mine is already painted black, that should help.

SHould be great for the typical EVO owner who likes to tailgate people, hahaha.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Give me all the shit you want, but I got spare parts, and I'm going to do it. I've already done LEDs, they aren't enough. 3 watt luxeons to boot. I'm going HID. The IS300 reverse reflector is not as big, and mine is already painted black, that should help.

Not saying you shouldn't do it but just don't see why you would need those so bad. Do you live on a farm without street lights?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

yeah man im with you, i want to do this too, but i dont have hid kits laying around, i got to buy one:( anyway if you get it done before me, post pics. and how you did it.

i just tested out the 9005 bulbs and they suck, just a little brighter than the oem bulbs:suspiciou

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Not saying you shouldn't do it but just don't see why you would need those so bad. Do you live on a farm without street lights?
I don't need them so bad.

I have a spare HID kit, and nowhere to put it. It's an old eagleye kit, so it' worth nothing, and I've modded it in some ways, so I wouldn't sell it.

Might as well stick it somewhere, and I can use more light when I back up.

Done Deal.

·
Registered
694 Posts

your going to shift into reverse at speed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts