Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
what did you use to clean the subframe? i want to clean my magnaflow muffler from all the caked on road grime

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
what did you use to clean the subframe? i want to clean my magnaflow muffler from all the caked on road grime
Back from the dead...I have a lot of updates on this build. As for the subfram grime, we used a lot of purple power degreaser from autozone. It's like $3 a bottle. Also i went through a couple brass wire brushes to scrape all the grime off. It went through a few stages of degreasing, pressure washing w/soapy water, degreasing, etc...Took a while to get it clean enough to sand and paint that's for sure. I'd recommend simple green over the purple power though, nothing works better.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Finished off the sound deadening by scrubbing off the remainders with goof off, a drill and wire brush bit. You couldn't pay me to do this job again...

Picked up turbo2 goodies off our friend's FC that we was getting ready to junk. Rear end, driveshaft and axles acquired.

Picked up this corksport short throw.

2J-related: Supra TT fuel pump w/hanger. Yep, going in the RX7..

4 brand new rotors

Preparing to do the rear diff bushings. We torched them, banged on it a few times, and in minutes the PBM solid aluminum bushings were ready to go in.

Toasty

Also had the diff mount bracket repaired

Primered

A L L | G O L D | E V E R Y T H A N G

PBM bushings subframe bushings, check

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One of my favorite parts going in this car. We came across a killer deal on a barely used OS Giken twin disc clutch. #budgetbuildlol

Let's hope we put this back together right (we got curious, okay... and have a nack to want to clean everything going on this car)

Diff time. We drained it, and took it apart.

Then started prepping for paint, twas much filthier than expected

New axle seals and front pinion seal

Diff primered and painted

PBM diff bushings installed

Trinidad James seal of approval

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Core swapped the t2 axles for brand new ones...This was a lot more work than it sounds lol. 3 autoparts stores, 1 wrong shipment, and a 20% restocking fee later we got our hands on them.

Oh and then this happened

Tomei 2-way LSD!

We also bought a spot weld removal drill bit. No more speaker shroud above the rear struts

G U T T E D

AND it's finished. All our hardwork paid off in the end..

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay, so this is where it gets real serious.

New carrier bearings purchased for the new LSD

Installing the diff, measuring backlash. Tidy cats box. Much precision.

Mazda FSM specs are .0035-.0043 in. we set ours to 4 thousandths exactly

Preloaded the sidebearings afterwards, FSM specs are 204.43-204.5mm

Then we checked contact patch with marking dye

Now we're ready to skid. Well sorta.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Next, we purchased all new wheel bearings for the front and rear. Why? Why not. I will tell you that it was more work than we had anticipated since we had to take the rear hubs (because of their odd shape) to our friend's shop to borrow their press. All in all, it was semi to moderately worth it. And that counts for something.

(scope that gold doe & new polyurethane bushing)

Here are the front hubs cleaned up and ready for bearings.

Then we managed to get our hands on this nice Greddy intake plenum. Much volume.

We also put together a custom camber link set (oem in the middle). Before installing we upgraded the hardware to grade 8 nuts/bolts and spot welded at an adjusted length. The PBM spherical 'tilting' aluminum bushings allow for these joints to not need adjustment. The'll be connecting the rear subframe to the trailing arms.

More rear end set up goodies..We put the rear brake assembly together, the dual caliper set up came out nicely after a slight hiccup with hardware we were given.

Came up on some Greddy 720cc injectors, they will be used as the primaries. And also an s5 counterWEIGHT for the OS clutch.

Now I know what you're all gonna think (all 4 of you), why would they paint the underside of the car? Well, I'll tell you now. Because we felt like it..Lots of degreasing, simple greening, pressure washing, and scrubbing followed by 6 cans of primer, a few days to dry and 8 cans of gloss white cause if it ain't white, then it ain't right. (i'm just kidding, i'm not a racist)

Unfortunately we began losing light before we could hit the inside of the car since it was all wire brushed/sanded down to bare metal for the most part. So we quickly sprayed it with primer for the time being.

We then later realized that with great steering angle, comes great responsibility. And the only responsible thing to do at this point would be to cut more stuff with dangerous weapo- tools.

And also beat the fender seams up for preemptive wheel clearance prep. Plus hitting things with things is always good. That's like 95% of all car work, I'm pretty sure..

Before sending the frame off to get the cage fabbed, we needed to figure out ideal seat placement as the bracket for the seat will be hard-mounted to the frame. Luckily Russell and I are near the same size/height, so we can fit in the same seat and drive in the same seat position. We purchased this Planted universal bracket, and it fits pretty damn good. Better than we had hoped for at least.

We also managed to get our hands on this rare HKS cast manifold. It came with an HKS wastegate, but we chose to upgrade to a larger wastegate (hopefully a Tial 44mm) and sold it.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay, so now it all looks like we're getting somewhere. I like when things fit..Rear end assembled. (middle school skateboards = true garage build)

Uhhhhhh sonnnnnnn. #AllGoldErrThang

Here's the 44mm vband adapter plate we had to purchase in order for the HKS manifold to accept the tial.

And now, as we wait to save more money and collect tax returns we found ourselves wanting to keep taking it further. I mean we already painted the underside of the car, so we figured let's clean up the engine bay. We're going to plan on running a custom wire harness and tuck, and we're also going to be plumbing all of the brake lines with our Wilwood pedal/reservoir setup. So we decided to fill/plug all the holes in the bay as well. We prepped all the the areas to be filled with filler by belt sanding them to bare metal, then a rough scuff with 150grit 3M bodywork sand paper, and then finally brake cleaning the area and quick wipe down before applying the filler. We used Evercoat metal glaze putty with cream hardener, stuff is amazing to work with and sand.

Also note, that this was days worth of prep, sanding, applying many layers of filler, mixing...But again, semi to somewhat worth it. We mocked up the front end too just for shitsngiggles.

What do you know about wheel clearance?

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Damn, that shyt is starting to look sexy. Almost thought you guys were going to do all gold. Nice contrasting colors so far. Keep balling on a budget :cool:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Awesome work chad.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is the best build thread I've ever read.. complete with hilarious comments and AIDS!

·
Registered
133 Posts
nice build... idk if i missed it but did you say what motor your putting in, the fuel pump lead me to believe its a 2jz.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
madchyers; said:
In this thread you will see the progress, frustration, and determination between 2 ricers and their struggle to craft a functional drift car with style that only Elton John could compete with. We live in a small, quiet town where the only dominating car scene consists of vtec, wheel gap, and fart cans. We are here to break away from this tradition by bringing a fresh, QUALITY build with attention to detail and showcase of skill (somewhat). This is the story of the "Pirate FC" and the bond between ricers so strong that it must be gay. Here is our story.
They share everything

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks guys, we're planning on 13b turbo. Hopefully with bigger turbo, hks manifold, supporting fuel mods, bolt ons and standalone we should be able to squeeze 300-350hp out of it. Depending on how much we want to spend maybe even do a mild street port or something cool like that. This car is going to be shared between Russell and I, yes.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts