Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In this thread you will see the progress, frustration, and determination between 2 ricers and their struggle to craft a functional drift car with style that only Elton John could compete with. We live in a small, quiet town where the only dominating car scene consists of vtec, wheel gap, and fart cans. We are here to break away from this tradition by bringing a fresh, QUALITY build with attention to detail and showcase of skill (somewhat). This is the story of the "Pirate FC" and the bond between ricers so strong that it must be gay. Here is our story.

- Chad & Russell

A few months back a friend of mine and I came across a deal on a rolling chassis RX7 FC + spare parts at a price we couldn't pass up. So we jumped on it and have begun the tear down and accumulating parts for this build.

What did we get ourselves into - right off the trailer (cool body kit br0)

Pepboys special interior w/side of cheetoh's crumbs and AIDS

Spare parts in the hatch

Rat's nest in the bay

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Pulling this out wasn't fun at all

Put it where it belongs

Started working on filling, sanding, fixing, etc the only part of the body kit we kept...50mm over = okay in our book.

We also pulled the windshield out to get it ready for the roll cage. Took about 15 minutes and 1 guitar string later...

Putting the Pepboy special seats to good use

Removing the sound deadening with dry ice, so much fun :pissed:

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parts we have acquired so far

Powered By Max coilovers 9K/7K

Disregard females, acquire bushings

New diff mount to replace the shoddy welds on the OE mount

Self made adjustable camber bar/toe bars

Mazda Racing dual pulley kit

Wilwood reverse mount pedal set w/master cylinders and external reservoirs

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
good stuff so far chad.

if you ever need extra help, hit me up :)

I don't think the body kit looked too horrible(especially by drift car standards LOL), certainly wasn't installed nicely though, if you're planning on getting a different kit look at the duraflex lineup from extreme dimensions....sides & rear from there were very good-excellent fitment withvery minor tweaks....not as flexible/ulletproof as their video claims but definately more so than standard fiberglass

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Nice progress. Will be following this build as I am a fan of FCs ;) :cool:

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good stuff so far chad.

if you ever need extra help, hit me up :)

I don't think the body kit looked too horrible(especially by drift car standards LOL), certainly wasn't installed nicely though, if you're planning on getting a different kit look at the duraflex lineup from extreme dimensions....sides & rear from there were very good-excellent fitment withvery minor tweaks....not as flexible/ulletproof as their video claims but definately more so than standard fiberglass
Thanks Sean :) The kit that was on was actually an Extreme Dimensions kit, they fit like dog poopoo for the FC's haha. We're planning to do BN replica from AIT; we have a hook up over there and can get the kit for practically nothing BNIB.

Nice progress. Will be following this build as I am a fan of FCs ;) :cool:
Awesome, I have a bunch more documentation, I just wanted to wait a little to keep from cluttering the first page lol.

should be sweet man!
Thanks Jerm ;)

Right now the entire rear end is in pieces in the garage. Just finished getting all of the bushings out that we are replacing...That was far from fun trust me, pressing the new ones back in hasn't been fun either. So far we've pressed in the DTSS polyurethane bushings in (took some time to freeze the bushings, grease them up, and a few hard hits with our mallet which we have named "Thor" for obvious reasons). And also the trailing arm bushings (also polyurethane) have been pressed in via grease and heavy duty C-clamp...I'll update in a couple hours or so :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Your doing it the hard way lol....come over to my place....ive got an aframe press.....think its 5ton rated, maybe more....made bushings on my miata a breeze lol

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a A frame 6 ton press, it's not that it doesn't have enough force, it's the opening at the bottom being too small to fit odd shaped Mazda parts inside of it lol. All our bushings are out now so now its just the fun of pressing them in.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dremeling through the metal sleeves on the DTSS bushings so that we could pinch/crush them out with the vice.

Making used stuff look gayer

DTSS bushings in

Trailing Arm bushings in

We still have a lot more work ahead of us with all these stupid bushings, but it's coming along a steady enough pace for us. I'll post more updates as we progress.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found some more pictures of what we have waiting to be put on.

Racefab dual caliper brackets, cause more is always better in the rear. Had to stick to the gay theme, so we painted them gold too :rickrossapproved:

Speaking of brakes, we picked ourselves up a set of practically brand new Hawk pads for next to nothing :charliesheen:

Here's a picture of Russell grinding off that diff mount that was held together with 90% slag and 10% hopes and dreams, now it's ready for the brand new OE replacement.

More shots of the rear end when we started pressing out the bushings

Found this on our photobucket too

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we've made some more progress with the bushings. They're all in minus the PBM diff mount bushings.

We got our hands on a second set of OE rear calipers for the hydro the other day, so as we patiently wait on our modded spindle/knuckles from Abercrombie, we decided to clean them up and give them a fresh coat of caliper paint.

Put that away

Finished

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Fractional, and for that, I will post some updates that I'm sure no one will see!

Project Mu brake pads for le hydro

This is what 72 degrees of steering angle looks like

6 new ss braided lines for the brake system. The Mazdatrix rep we placed our order with was like what...? We told him we needed 2 spare lines just incase Trollololol

More sound deadening removal

You couldn't pay me enough to do this again

Decided to tackle the subframe and steering rack as well. 20 years of caked on grease, power steering fluid, oil, and AIDS...Not the cleanest job, nor the most fun.

But since this is the internets, we make magic happen instantly.

Russell accidentally deleted the quality pics of the subframe degrease, sanded and primered. But here's the end result. Trinidad James would be proud.

We even chromed the steering rack brackets

1 - 20 of 46 Posts