Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some service troubles at my Lexus dealer in Knoxville, TN.

1. Rattling sunroof. I've had in 3 times: once they weren't able to hear it, next they 'fixed' it and it did it again immediately, finally they did something that fixed it, but skinned the dark silver paint off part of the interior and got a greasy handprint on the headliner. It only rattles when its open now.

2. Clunking e-shift tranny. It's been in 3 or 4 times, they can't diagnose it. Then they said it was something with hill descent mode and I might have to just live with it.

Current situation:

I got a CEL and took it in thinking that the tranny may have finally thrown a code. Plus I wanted them to service the tranny, change the fluid etc. ($100 charge for that.)

I got a call from them say the code was for bank 2, cyl 2 O2 sensor and that it would be $455 to replace plus $85 for the diagnosis because my car has over 68k miles on it now. I told them not to replace it, that I would do it myself.

My question: should I dispute the $85 diagnostic? All they did is hook a code reader up. My car is still under the powertrain warranty and is still having a powertrain problem, so that's why I took it in when the light came on.

Also, what should I do about the tranny? It often clunks/ surges when coming to a stop. They say they'll have to ask some engineers about it now because they've never had a report of this symptom. (Same thing they told me about the rattling sunroof.)

:confused:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You are out of Warranty (unless you have extended or something) for anything other than powertrain.

You could dispute the $85 if they didn't tell you about it upfront. Most places do charge you to read a code (even though Autozone does it for free, and for $85 you could buy your own OBD-II reader).

As far as the sensor goes, I'm not sure if those are covered under warranty, i'd check the fine print, but I believe there's a sticky in the roadside assistance forum that shows you how to change that particular O2 sensor (gotta pull the passenger seat)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not worried about changing the sensor, but my thoughts are that as long as anything is under warranty on the car, they shouldn't charge just for a diagnostic. The CEL could have been for a warranty-related issues (transmission.)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Your stuck with the payment. Same thing happened to me when I bought my theft recovery IS300. Had no Cluster so I bought one. It had 18k miles on it took it to the dealer and they said the last visit to lexus said 22k miles. Warranty gone and they charged me the $85 anyways.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Think about it this way. You should NOT be charged if the problem they diagnose is covered under warranty. Since you only have powertrain now, an o2 sensor may fall under Emissions and that "according to them" is not powertrain".
When you are out of warranty they will ususally waive the diag fee if you let them fix the problem. This same thing happened to me on my fuel pump. They told me it was a CAT which is "Federal Emissions" so that doesn't fall into Powertrain. I ended up paying the diag fee took the car, malfunction ended up being the damn fuel pump. Go figure.
I think o2 sensors should be under powertrain. Ask them to give you a print out of what is covered under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
^what he said.. If the diag. doesnt come up with a problem relating to whats under warranty your SOL. Sounds like a crappy dealer though either way..

·
Registered
873 Posts
you have to pay for it regardless...i mean they ran the code...you should have asked if it was going to cost. BTW: you can get your codes read through autozone for free. i have the same CEL on for the sensor 2 bank 2 (very common) and its a $100 part from autozone...ive heard its not TOO hard to fix either. search it. find a solution? im me with it, hah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts