Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Only if it's worth however much they charge for your piece of mind. Not only are Lexuses extremely reliable, but they calculate warranty charges by figuring out the average cost of repairs for a given time, then multiplying it by 2x to 10x, depending on the exact deal. It's like playing slots; overall everyone loses, but if you get lucky your car will die and be fixed for free

·
Registered
201 Posts
My main question is how many miles do you put on a car in a given year? If you plan on keeping it for 4 years at 25K per year then maybe. But you should ask is this something that is only offered at the beginning of the term or can you come in later and purchase the extended warranty separately? A lot of companies offer this option.

------------------

·
Registered
113 Posts
you should consider getting the warranty @ your local Credit Union. Mine offered me 7yrs/100,000mi for $675 bumber to bumber. Don't get at dealer, it's a rip off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Fock, no. Why did you buy a lexus, then? You know Lexus car will last forever.
Well, if you didn't get a lemon... then there is no reason to get extended warrantee.

------------------
K.P. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
if you read up on consumer magazines and all, extended warranty on cars are RIPOFFS!!!

If anything major goes bad, it will more than likely show up before the standard warranty expires. Plus, it's a Lexus. It's made to last.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only good thing is that if you never have a claim on your warantee they refund the entire amount. The factory warantee is full coverage Lexus and only costs 1350 for 100,000 and 7 years. Any more opinions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
if you read up on consumer magazines and all, extended warranty on cars are RIPOFFS!!!

If anything major goes bad, it will more than likely show up before the standard warranty expires. Plus, it's a Lexus. It's made to last.

I heard that they were a ripoff for things like electronics. I have never heard that they were not good for cars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by vvtipwr:

I heard that they were a ripoff for things like electronics. I have never heard that they were not good for cars.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
About those extended warranties for electronics...I usually don't get them, but I did get it when I bought my Palm IIIxe at Best Buy. I figured it would be some peace of mind since I'm in college and the Palm would suffer some abuse...

Well, one day my Palm had failed (plus it had defective RAM
), and with the warranty I got a brand new Palm.

I suppose I was fortunate enough to be covered under that warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really wouldnt buy the warranty because most likely the car will last over 100,000 I think its not needed, but if you want to be sure than get it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only way I'd get it is if you don't plan on getting regular oil changes.
Seriously, I think these things are pretty much useless, especially with Japanese cars - I've got an Infiniti G20t with 165K, and it's NEVER had any major problems (of course, I keep up with regular maint, though) - and Lexus is much more reliable than Infiniti (well, its close, but Lexus is better). I expect my IS300 to outlast the G20 easily.

Scrap.

·
Registered
756 Posts
FYI........Lexus cost on the warranty is $925..........I was able to get them to include it for free.......try getting it for $950 they should take....they don't sell many of them and management would be excited to sell one....use that as buying power.......the only reason I got mine for free was becuase the dealership sold two silver IS' beneath me even though I had a deposit down..sold them as I was driving to the dealership....any inconvenieces you have had you can also use as buying power.....work the dealership don't let them sell you the warranty for any more than $1000....they are making some margin at that!

------------------
~DownShift~
Millenium Silver Metalic
Carbon Fiber / Spoiler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts