Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the required parts to install the getrag 6seep found in the mk4 supra into the is300 chassis.

Questions include....

What cross member?

What drive shaft?

Flywheel & clutch?

How well does it mount up to the shifter hole?

Are there starter problems?

I am willing to go it alone and build the custom parts, but it would be allot easier to just get the info from those who know.

This thread is meant top be purely a educational source for the getrag 6 speed conversion.
I would prefer not to discuss other trans swaps in this thread in an attempt to keep it on topic and easy to understand.

Thanks for any info you may be able to contribute.

aaron :)

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
aaronyoung said:
I am looking for the required parts to install the getrag 6seep found in the mk4 supra into the is300 chassis.

Questions include....

What cross member?

What drive shaft?

Flywheel & clutch?

How well does it mount up to the shifter hole?

Are there starter problems?

I am willing to go it alone and build the custom parts, but it would be allot easier to just get the info from those who know.

This thread is meant top be purely a educational source for the getrag 6 speed conversion.
I would prefer not to discuss other trans swaps in this thread in an attempt to keep it on topic and easy to understand.

Thanks for any info you may be able to contribute.

aaron :)
What do you mean by what cross member?

You have to get a custom driveshaft made.

MKIV Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder.

You will have to shorten the shifter assembly 2" have a fabrication shop do it for you.

Tranny mounts up directly to engine, you will need to get a custom rear tranny mount made. starter works just fine.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
You also have to have the Tranny Tunnel modified as Mo there has told me. I think he said that the IS tunnel is too small for a v160, so they have some cutting to do.

And please search next time, as this is one of the most popular subjects in this forum :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I did search.
I came up with a bunch of threads that went off topic with in the first page.
They either ended up debating on why one would want to do the swap or how much it would cost. Or trying to talk others into using a different trans, ect...
None I read had any comprehensive factual information.
maybe it was just the key words I used?

I would be more than willing to read a previous thread with the information I am looking for.

About the drive shaft...

I assume you have to use the supra front section and the IS rear section?
Cut and welded just after the trans?

How tight is the clearance for the tunnel?
Can it be beaten into shape with a ball peen hammer, or must it be cut and re welded?

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
I have a question for you charlie...why do you have a car in your sig with all these mods when it's not even yours? I should add Ferrari 360 modena **not my car** but I wouldn''t feel cool.. :-?
Im representing the owner on this site Carwise. Since he dosent have the time and whatnot.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
CharlieD06 said:
lil' IS 300 said:
I have a question for you charlie...why do you have a car in your sig with all these mods when it's not even yours? I should add Ferrari 360 modena **not my car** but I wouldn''t feel cool.. :-?
Im representing the owner on this site Carwise. Since he dosent have the time and whatnot.
Good job then. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
CharlieD06 said:
You also have to have the Tranny Tunnel modified as Mo there has told me. I think he said that the IS tunnel is too small for a v160, so they have some cutting to do.

And please search next time, as this is one of the most popular subjects in this forum :)
Tranny tunnel does not need to be modified, I do not recall ever mentioning that.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
IS300GTE said:
2 inches isn't correct, good luck!
well thank you for all your help!!!im sure your fellow is300.net members will also thank you for all the usefull info you submited here!!

this is why im starting to hate this site. no one wants to help others on here. if you have info that will help someone share it! dont be a dick and just say no thats wrong help them. if you wanted info on somthing or needed help you would want them to do the same for you.

sorry about the rant. its just this people need to shut up if their not going to give usefull info.

-Brett

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nline6 said:
well thank you for all your help!!!im sure your fellow is300.net members will also thank you for all the usefull info you submited here!!

this is why im starting to hate this site. no one wants to help others on here. if you have info that will help someone share it! dont be a dick and just say no thats wrong help them. if you wanted info on somthing or needed help you would want them to do the same for you.

sorry about the rant. its just this people need to shut up if their not going to give usefull info.

-Brett
I think he is trying to deter people from trying this themselves. This is not a DIY project by any means. If you don't have the proper experience, you will not complete the project.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Do I owe you anything? (besides a warning for spouting off at the mouth and wasting bandwidth?)

How about this, you make me give you the info you think I should ...

Nline6 said:

-Brett

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Swift Racing Technologies said:
Tranny tunnel does not need to be modified, I do not recall ever mentioning that.
--would you recommend any tranny tunnel hammering just to avoid the tranny from hitting when the motor is torque-ing around?

and would you recommend modifying our stock is300 shifter, or modify and MKIV one?

man, i hope someone can make a nice sticky on this, as this subject is brought up so many times and it seems as we still don't have definite answers to many of the same questions ask... ... :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
IS300GTE said:
Do I owe you anything? (besides a warning for spouting off at the mouth and wasting bandwidth?)

How about this, you make me give you the info you think I should ...
I never said you owe me anything, I just said basically this site is for helping one another and sharing information. But if you feel you must owe someone something before you give them something in return that’s your own selfish ways I guess...

I’m done now so if you really feel like giving me another warning for "spouting off at the mouth and wasting bandwidth" go head I just wanted to defend what I said in front of everyone and say I’m sorry to the thread starter for this!
-Brett

·
Registered
165 Posts
you need to use the mkiv shifter. i ordered one for a '94, they changed lengths over the years. you need this one due to the lockout reverse.
go for the longest shifter possible. from my recollection it was the 93.5-94 that had the longest, but there is a note(a wiser note) that the 96-98 was the longest.... hmmm.

yes, buy corn flakes and sell the pork bellies.

goldznnz said:
--would you recommend any tranny tunnel hammering just to avoid the tranny from hitting when the motor is torque-ing around?

and would you recommend modifying our stock is300 shifter, or modify and MKIV one?

man, i hope someone can make a nice sticky on this, as this subject is brought up so many times and it seems as we still don't have definite answers to many of the same questions ask... ... :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.