Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry just had to get your attention:

Some comments on the IS300, very nice looking car, love the lines, nice power, but a little too heavy.

I'm an Integra boy, but my loyalty to Integra is not blinding me. I'm in the market for a new car this summer and I was thinking of going for the IS300, the 5spd of course. I was always under the impression that most Japanese manufacturers measure the crank hp of their cars not the whp, so I assumed in looking at the stats that the IS puts down 210 at the crank. Is this the case? So saying a GSR puts 170hp is the crank figure but not the whp figure right?

Anyhow right now I'm thinking of going with the IS, its turn offs are that it is a 6cyl, and it weighs alot. I prefer a 4cyl, I guess that is the Honda in me, so I'm waiting to see what the next gen Integra can do. If it is going to be double independent suspension (not struts in the front like the new civic), and the styling is nice (the spy photos as reliable as they are, make me cringe at the possibility, it looks like ****e in some cases), and provided that the hp will come in at 220 on the type R, I will go with the new 'Teg. I realize that the IS is more of a luxury, strike that, much more of a luxury car than the 'Teg but it does have a sleek side, and a host of amenities that endear it to me. Other cars I have ruled out, the new impreza (ugly as sin, the turbo isn't strong enough stock to make it all that fetching), s4 (Don't have the dolo to get that beast yet)

Stock 17s, chronograph cluster, yadda, yadda. If only the 4cyl would come here. So anyhow what other intangibles do you like on your IS? I'm not all about speed, although it is an important consideration, but there are some of the little things that make you really like your car. What other cars do you guys really like in the general price range of the IS, no BMW please

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I LIKE that the IS300 has 3.0 I6. I got tired of that little 4-banger in my Miata until I put a turbo on it... The engine is not THAT much heavier than the 2.0L I4...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I went from a '97 GSR sedan to '95 325i, not wanting to wait a year for the 5 spd IS300. If you're a Honda fan but like the IS300, why not save your money and wait for Honda's competitor? It'll be 4 door, RWD, lighter than IS300, 4 cylinder, probably 220-230 hp, maybe 2002 or 2003 (2003 model year). By 2004 the next Alfa Romeo 156 will be out, 4 door, FWD, 4 or 6 cylinder, probably look and sound gorgeous like the current one. My next car will probably be one of those three, the Honda, IS300, or Alfa 156. Or maybe 330 if BMW fixes steering, but it's too much money for what you get.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
There will be Alfas in the states again?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yes, when GM invested in Fiat (owner of Alfa Romeo), they started plans to bring Alfa back. The GTV coupe comes in 2003, followed by 156 sedan in 2004. They'll be sold in Saab dealerships. The models will be new, not current models, and geared more toward US market, which means they'll probably ruin them, but oh well, we'll see.

Originally posted by JW:
There will be Alfas in the states again?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts