Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I just had my 60k service done for $681. Thought it was a little pricey, but I guess it needed to be done. Anyways, my car's been experiencing some problems lately (lag, hesistation after 4K RPMs, and shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear) that I figured it time for Lexus to see what's up. Anyways, turns out the car threw a code for a broken O2 sensor. The problem is still there, and I just paid close to $1000 on the service, with the same problems not being fixed. Now, I gotta take my car back to the shop and have them do a full test on it to see what's going on. Has anyone else experienced this problem on their vehicle? I am really getting fed up on this stuff, and have been thinking about parting with it for something else if the dealer keeps telling me my car has all these problems and they still can't find what the hell is causing hesitation, lagging, and shifting problems when my car has no modifications. That's all.

K

·
Registered
514 Posts
kennethlin said:
Hey all:

I just had my 60k service done for $681. Thought it was a little pricey, but I guess it needed to be done. Anyways, my car's been experiencing some problems lately (lag, hesistation after 4K RPMs, and shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear) that I figured it time for Lexus to see what's up. Anyways, turns out the car threw a code for a broken O2 sensor. The problem is still there, and I just paid close to $1000 on the service, with the same problems not being fixed. Now, I gotta take my car back to the shop and have them do a full test on it to see what's going on. Has anyone else experienced this problem on their vehicle? I am really getting fed up on this stuff, and have been thinking about parting with it for something else if the dealer keeps telling me my car has all these problems and they still can't find what the hell is causing hesitation, lagging, and shifting problems when my car has no modifications. That's all.

K
first off dude, did u hand the dealer some lube because u were anally rape for the 681 bucks. I dont know about NC, but here in Cali we have a guy who specializes in Lexus and only uses Toyota parts for service. Saves u about a good 400 bucks :wink: but then again if u dont then u have to take it to the dealer. 2nd, I have had my 60K and before that I experienced lag between 1st and 2nd gear and still do. Dont know about the 4th to 5th I havent had any problems and I have a 01. I would def take it to the dealer and if u keep going for the same problem and its not fixed u can file it under the lemon law. I am not sure they have one for NC. U paid 30K+ might as well take advantage of the warranty, but u have to understand even Ferrari has car's who have problems, so not every car company is perfect. Good luck man.

·
8,849 Posts
If you have 2001 model, there was a fix for a batch of them where the ECU needed to be reprogrammed and Trac ECU changed. The fix was to resolve some hesitation issues and overactive Trac control. It was to be done only if a customer complains of a problem.

If the ECU has been throwing a code, was the CEL (Check Engine Light) on?

If your car is still having problems, I would try tranny fluid change.

P.S.
Your car is warrantied for 6 years/70K miles on the drivetrain. Transmission problems are still covered.

P.P.S.
The dealer just made some good dough on you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys:

Thanks for your comments. First of all, I told the dealer about the ECU re-programming and they are looking into that. I did go to another Lexus dealer in the past when my car had around 25,000 miles to do the ECU change, but I do not believe they even did it now that I think about it. Also, I am dropping my car off to them on Tuesday, and told them I do not want it back unless all of these issues are fixed, especially with the amount of money I just handed to them last week. Therefore, they are giving me a loaner until they resolve this issue. As for the transmission fluid flush, I do believe this solved alittle of the problems. Don't get me wrong though, the problem's still there, but not as noticible now. It seems that after the 60k service, my car's running alot smoother and shifting much better, but when the car's running cold, the hard shifiting and hesitation is still present. I will definitely keep you all up to date about it and hopefully, the car's issues get solved or I think it'll be time to get something else.

K

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got an update from the Lexus dealership: They are informing me that the hesitation problem is due to my MAF sensor. They said, since I have a TRD air filter, rather than the stock OEM filter from Lexus, it caused alot of dirt and grime passing through it and entering into my intake. As a result, that destroyed my MAF sensor. What do you guys think about that? By the way, Lexus wants $320 to do the labor and part. Should I go with it, or do you think it's way too much. Also, how easy is it to put and install a new MAF if I really do need one? Thanks for your input.

K

·
8,849 Posts
Intallation involved removing 2 screws and 1 wire connector.
It is very simple.
Take some wire cleaner and sparay-clean the MAF sensor. That is what is recommended when it gets dirty.

I would contact irontoad.com to see what the price is on the new MAF sensor. It will be far less than a dealer would charge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final update:

Well it looks like, after some talking and clearing up the misunderstandings.....my lexus dealer here in NC has helped me out tremedously. They decided to replace my MAF Sensor and installation completely on their cost. I just got the car back an hour ago, and man, what a total difference. The car runs like new again, and I can't believe that a simple little sensor would make such a difference to my car. Not only that, the original hesitation problem that I have is completely gone. I would just like to say, thank you all for helping me out. And if any of you need help in planning your financial goals, just send me a PM or IM, and I will be glad to help out. Again, thank you all for helping me deal with this ordeal. It is finally over!

·
Registered
6 Posts
kennethlin said:
Final update:

Well it looks like, after some talking and clearing up the misunderstandings.....my lexus dealer here in NC has helped me out tremedously. They decided to replace my MAF Sensor and installation completely on their cost. I just got the car back an hour ago, and man, what a total difference. The car runs like new again, and I can't believe that a simple little sensor would make such a difference to my car. Not only that, the original hesitation problem that I have is completely gone. I would just like to say, thank you all for helping me out. And if any of you need help in planning your financial goals, just send me a PM or IM, and I will be glad to help out. Again, thank you all for helping me deal with this ordeal. It is finally over!
the reason the trd filter caused that is due to the oil on the filter covers the sensor and it doesnt get a proper air sample it will cause aton of driveability problems
problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts