Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a place to do 60k service in San Francisco Bay Area. I got a quote from Magnussen Fremont for $1398 :eek: anyone knows a better price??

·
Registered
350 Posts
woah.... that sucks. lexus of fremont will probably be the cheapest also. i would take a drive to sacto or even modesto. i was quoted $800 for the 60k in sacto. save yourself $600. maybe you should plan a trip to reno or tahoe...drop the car off in the morning in sacto, take the loaner and the $600, and try to double your money.

·
8,880 Posts
Nemo said:
what do they do???? :eek:
Quite some work they "deem" necessary and charge an arm and a leg for it. :lol:
They are in this business to make money. :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called several Lexus dealers near bay area:

Magnussen Fremont Lexus
$1389

Stevens Creek, San Jose
$949

Modesto
$1247
Timing Belt change

Sacramento
$564 :roll:
No timing Belt. No Spark Plug.

The service manager in Sacramento said there is no need for spark plugs and timing belts change(hence the low price), but the modesto manager said its needed. I am confused.... any comments?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
louiee_g said:
maybe you should plan a trip to reno or tahoe...drop the car off in the morning in sacto, take the loaner and the $600, and try to double your money.
i prolly go for the sacto dealer, cost less than 600. I am planning a trip to redwood forest - with the loaner :lol:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I'm just gonna take mine to Harvey's tire store and give him the list of stuff to do. It will be a lot cheaper. As long as fluids and stuff are the Lexus type or approve type, there shouldn't be any problems, should there? The Lexus guys don't do anything special or secret do they?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Char said:
The service manager in Sacramento said there is no need for spark plugs and timing belts change(hence the low price), but the modesto manager said its needed. I am confused.... any comments?
i've heard spark plugs every 60k, and timing belt every 90k. that's what i'm planning to do.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
All those scheduled maintence items are in the manual.

Most modern cars only need regular oil and filter changes. Maybe transmission serive and belts at 50,000 miles and spark plugs at 100,000 miles. I just want to know why so much expensive stuff has to be done to a Lexus IS300 like every 15,000 and 30,000 miles. I haven't taken a car back to the dealer for over 15 years. They all got their oil changed and stuff and I ran some up to the 100,000 mile mark. Didn't cost an arm and a leg to get that done at a private garage and none of them ever had a breakdown.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
ok, this is what happend in my 60K service.
i was quoted at $1200... but they ended up charging me 700-ish b/c they didnt feel the need to change parts that 'thought' they needed.

things they thought they needed but didnt do include...
throttle body cleaning
spark plugs (change at 10K)
air filter (i have re-usable TRD one)
alignment
etc etc etc

the besting you could do is... read your supplement manual about maintenance schedules, and then make sure the dealer does what the manual says; no extra stuff.

hey, welcome to 60,000 mile club. :lol: 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
niker89 said:
so Stevens Creek save u $400 and they do exactly same service as Fremont?
based on the info on hand, stevens creek is 400 bucks cheaper.

--------------------------------
Magnussen Fremont Lexus
510 657 6600
$1389

Stevens Creek, San Jose
408 330 3000
$949
8/8 Friday 5pm
No Timing Belt change
Spark Plugs
Change all oils.

Modesto
209 575 3987
$1247
Timing Belt change

Sacramento
800 916 5398 (main)
916 870 1717 (Mike)
$564
No Spark Plugs.

Oakland
$550
loaner has 100 miles/day limit
No Spark Plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
blueIS said:
ok, this is what happend in my 60K service.
i was quoted at $1200... but they ended up charging me 700-ish b/c they didnt feel the need to change parts that 'thought' they needed.

things they thought they needed but didnt do include...
throttle body cleaning
spark plugs (change at 10K)
air filter (i have re-usable TRD one)
alignment
etc etc etc

the besting you could do is... read your supplement manual about maintenance schedules, and then make sure the dealer does what the manual says; no extra stuff.

hey, welcome to 60,000 mile club. :lol: 8)
blueIS, where you go for 60k service?

woohoo 60k, getting old.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i went to Putnam Lexus in redwood city... only because they arent busy and i can get appoinments time easily. (stevens creek is always booked)

i would opt for Stevens Creek... or Lexus of Serramonte

btw, as i said before... dont let them perform things that aren't mentioned in the maintenance manual(... supplement manual, not the service manual)as it is useless....
just a thought.

--
last time i called stevens creek for 60K service, they quoted me at 650-ish... hrm......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts