Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who want to do most of the 60k service on your own, I have created this thread and the attached links so that you can pick and choose what you want to do. I tried to document as closely as possible the procedures taken in each procedure. I have also tried to document prices, part numbers, time taken, and effort required.

General consensus says that you do the following things:

Oil/Filter Replacement If you are at your oil change interval.
Skill Level: Beginner
Tools Needed: Minimal
http://my.is/forums/f87/oil-change-diy-lots-pics-printable-pdf-attached-264598/

Coolant Replacement
http://my.is/forums/f87/radiator-drain-refill-diy-pictures-256156/

Power Steering Flush
Skill Level: Moderate
http://my.is/forums/f87/power-steering-fluid-flush-diy-w-lots-pics-256159/

Transmission Fluid Replacement
http://my.is/forums/f87/transmission-tranny-drain-refill-flush-diy-pics-included-printable-pdf-attached-254631/

Differential Fluid Replacement
http://my.is/forums/f87/differential-diff-fluid-replacement-diy-lots-pics-printable-pdf-attached-254397/

Inspect Brake Pads (Replace if necessary, 1mm is the minimum pad thickness before replacement)
Tools Needed: Moderate
http://my.is/forums/f89/brake-pad-rotor-replacement-diy-lots-pics-pdf-instructions-now-attached-255699/#post3493206

Brake Fluid Replacement
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/howtobleedbrakesright.htm
For the IS you need a 10mm wrench and a 12-14" length of 1/4" clear tubing

Spark Plug Replacement (if you have Platinum and not iridium plugs)
Tools Needed: Moderate
http://my.is/forums/f87/spark-plug-replacement-diy-lots-pics-printable-pdf-attached-254217/

Fuel System Maintenance
I use BG44k before I change the oil which is a total fuel system cleaner.

Replace PCV Valve
Replace Oil and Filter
Replace Air Filter
Replace AC Cabin Filter
Lubricate hinges
Rotate Wheels
Inspect/Replace Serpentine belt. For some reason I could not get the pulley to move so I am going to pay someone to do this for me. I know,.... it is supposed to be easy, but I was not able to do this one.

Things you probably cannot do on your own
Balance Tires (Subjective, if you need it, do it. If not I would skip it and wait until you replace your tires)
Alignment (Subjective, if you need it, do it. If not I would skip it and wait until you replace your tires)
Torque drive shaft bolts

Common Questions:
Q: How much does the dealer charge?
A: Based on everything I have ever read on this car, the 60k costs between $800-$1200 at a Lexus Dealer and $500-$700 at a Toyota dealer (if you can find one that will work on a Lexus)

Q: How much will a DIY cost, what do I have to buy, where did you get it?

A:Item Description * Cost * Purchased From
(1) Gal Coolant PN 00272-1LLAC-01 * 15.95 * Toyota
(6) Spark Plugs * 71.70 * www.sparkplugs.com
(2) Qt Mobil 1 Synthetic 75/90 GL-5 rated * 19.70 * Local Auto Parts Store
(3) Toyota Type IV Tranny Fluid (Drain Refill) * 11.25 * Toyota
or
(10) Toyota Type IV Tranny Fluid (Flush) * 37.50 * Toyota
(1)Transmission Drain Crush Wash PN: 35178-30010 * 1.80 * Lexus
(2) Differential Drain/Fill Crush Wash PN: 12157-10010 * 1.68 * Lexus
(2) Qt Valvoline Dextron III ATF * 2.49 * Local Auto Parts Store
Accessory Serpentine Belt PN 99366-D1930 * 36.95 * Lexus
(6) Qts Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30 * 24.95 * Costco
(1) Oil Filter * 6.95 * Lexus or www.irontoad.com (cheaper @ irontoad but I found out too late)
(1) Can BG 44K * 18.95 * Acura Dealer (Purchased a while ago can't remember if the cost is exact)
(1) Bottle Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid * 8.95 * Local Auto Parts Store
(1) PCV Valve * ??.?? * Lexus (Did not replace it)

Apx Total Cost (with a tranny flush) inc. Sales Tax @ 7.75% $300.00

Add cost for AC Filter, OEM Air Filter, Alignment, Balance if necessary (I did not need them)
Balance generally $7 per wheel
Hunter Laser 4-Wheel Alignment generally $69.00
AC Filter $16.32 @ www.irontoad.com
OEM Air Filter $12.74 @ www.irontoad.com

LMK if there are any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

If you have any suggestions on how to make this thread better or if any of my procedures are incorrect please do post, I would be happy to make adjustments.

Thanks.

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
great job. i tried to +rep, but:
"You must show some love to other members before giving it to Hiroshima again."

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
just an FYI.. and this is totally subjective... i had my 60k done at a local Toyota dealer who did everything - spark plugs (iridium.. 90k) + synthetic oil for $400 FLAT.

considering all the labor that goes into it...and after reading this thread, I hae a feeling that I came out pretty good out here :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amitkc said:
just an FYI.. and this is totally subjective... i had my 60k done at a local Toyota dealer who did everything - spark plugs (iridium.. 90k) + synthetic oil for $400 FLAT.

considering all the labor that goes into it...and after reading this thread, I hae a feeling that I came out pretty good out here :lol:
Great price you got, if I found that price and they did everything I have listed I may have gone that rout, but I needed plugs, I don't like the drain/refill only tranny service, I like Synthetic fluid in the diff, and I wanted the PS fluid flushed (which I *think* but am not sure, that dealerships don't do).

My other rational is that I think I will do a better job than the dealer. It is my car and I want it to be perfect. I am not saying that dealerships to shoddy work, but I think I take more pride and ownership in the work performed since it is my car.

Really good price you got though.

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
+rep - ive been very impressed with writeups in the last few days..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the post! bookmarked this page too :)
too bad "You must show some love to other members before giving it to Hiroshima again."

·
Registered
354 Posts
My dealer mentioned a valve adjustment today, when I asked about the 60k service. Curious as to why I didn't see that in anyone else's 60k. Dealer also wanted $1359 for the service.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Awesome stuff. This is great information for me. Specifically, I now know that I don't want to do it myself. I used to be a DIY'er. I've changed the oil, brakes, and coolant on my old car many times before, and was planning on doing the same. But in order to perform a full 60k maintenance sounds like too much work. I'll be looking to find the most competitive price out there later this year.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
have said this before and will say again great posts. +REP again.

The DIY approach means synthetic fluids and I do think a better job because the dealer is always rushing it and often forget or don't bother with some things...also by DIYing it one gets to know their car better which means the car will typically get more attention to the finer details (such as just checking over the car every so often just to see if things are OK and if they are not then seeing to it right away) that do count in the long run.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can also flush you tranny another way. Take your tranny cooler lines off and put two long hoses on the. Run one of them into a bucket filled with tranny fluid and put the other one in an empty bucket. Start the car up and it will pump the clean tranny fluid through the tranny and dump it in the empty bucket. Just make sure you have the right lines in the right buckets. Have done this before and really flushes all the crap out good.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts