Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? I'm new to this forum so this is actually my very first posting. I just wanted to get you guys input on the price of a 60k maintenance for a 2006 IS350. One of the local shops that I went to gave me a quote of $640 total. This includes replacing the air filter, the spark plugs, the drive belts, the transmission fluid, the brake fluid, and the AC filter.

So do you guys think this price is reasonable? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
the spark plugs, the brake fluid
These are the only two things you actually need a dealer to do at 60k miles, per the owners manual. (Well, and an oil change if you don't do those yourself).

This includes replacing the air filter
you can do this yourself in about 10 minutes

and the AC filter.
You can do that one yourself in 5 minutes

the drive belts
Like the accessory belt you mean? I haven't changed mine yet, but on previous cars this was also something you could typically do yourself in about 5-10 minutes, and the manual does not call for it to be done at 60k miles either. It should be done like brake pads, as required by the wear on the part, and it's usually pretty visually obvious when it's needed.

, the transmission fluid,
This is physically impossible on a 2IS. Again read your owners manual, it clearly states the transmission is a sealed system and a fluid change is never required or called for.

This is the dealer trying to screw you out of money and in exchange he's gonna swap like 10% of the fluid in the system by pulling the plug and replacing what comes out.

So do you guys think this price is reasonable? Thanks.
Obviously from the above, no, not reasonable.

get a quote on JUST the brake fluid change, spark plug change, and if needed the oil change. Then do that.

Change the filters yourself, and see how your belt looks (and change if needed).

As an FYI, other than another brake fluid change at 90k and a coolant change at 100k you won't need anything further from the dealer until 120k (where you repeat the 60k stuff) (except possibly oil changes if you don't do them yourself).

As a general rule you should never ask for the "X miles" service... they'll increase the price 2-3 times and do either the same stuff they would otherwise, or some stuff you have no need for. Just do the actual action items the maintenance schedule calls for. These are:

Every 5k: Oil change (You can certainly go longer, and MUCH longer if running synthetic)

Every 15: Check (or possibly change) air and AC filters- very very easy to do yourself.

Every 30k: Change brake fluid (should be 100-150 at a dealer)

Every 60k: Change spark plugs (haven't priced at a dealer yet so I dunno what they get here, doubt it should be more than $200-ish

Every 100k: Change coolant.

That's IT.

Everything else is a dealer trying to get extra cash out of you to no benefit to the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, very much, Knightshade, for your detailed response. I really appreciate it.

Btw, I looked at the owner's manual for 60K maintenance, and it says something about replacing the differential oil. So should I get that changed too?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thank you, very much, Knightshade, for your detailed response. I really appreciate it.

Btw, I looked at the owner's manual for 60K maintenance, and it says something about replacing the differential oil. So should I get that changed too?
I'm pretty sure for the IS350 it doesn't say anything about the diff other than to inspect it to insure it doesn't leak (this is one reason they jack the price up so much if you ask for the "X miles" service, they point out all the "inspections" they do... what they don't tell you is, they'll notice any leaks during the normal oil change labor, and they will inform you of them, all without you paying extra for them doing it).

Actually just checked the 2010 maintenance manual at lexus.com, indeed, only car that gets a diff oil replacement is the IS-F (because the 2010 IS-F has a real LSD... the IS350 does not, and thus never calls for a diff fluid change in scheduled maint.)

·
Registered
103 Posts

Yes replacing th rear differentila oil is a good idea. I replaced mine at 40k and it was pretty dirty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here is the list I found from another site for our 60k service.. dealership just quoted $995 to do.

Most seem to be DIY-able.. but how about the "bold" items

oil and filter change
transmission service(drain & refill the pan)
coolant service (Drain & refill the antifreeze)
rear differential service (drain and refill the gear oil)
rotate and balance the tires
brake inspection (check the pads and rotors)
replace the spark plugs (6)
4 wheel alignment
replace the drive belt (drives the alternator, power steering pump, a/c
compressor, and water pump)
E.F.I. service (cleans the intake, valves, exaust ports)
replace the a/c filter (its like the filter for your home a/c)
replace the engine air filter
replace the brake fluid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.