Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...everyone who "thinks" that the IS will come out with manual transmission must surely reveal their sources..because i know for a fact yall didn't see this in any publication whatsoever...

i am not saying i don't want them too...but everyone keeps saying...6 sppeed this...5 speed this..getting my freaking hopes up and ****...

i work for toyota...and no one ever knows ..i mean no one!...ever knows the future design models...that is like top secret.....

these people.....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've heard apparently the 5-speed is more likely and that the 6-speed would be too large to fit....
Eric...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Over here in the UK, we'll be getting the IS300 in September, with both a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed automatic transmission. The 6-speed transmission from the IS200 can't handle the torque of the 3.0L engine and the 3.0L's extra torque renders a 6-speed box unnecessary.

We'll also be getting an estate (Touring) IS around the same time. Rumours are also abound that there's a diesel engine on the cards, but I shouldn't think that'll appear outside of Europe.
--
Alex K.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
A dealer salesman in CT told me that it was coming in April.

Maybe he's telling the truth. Maybe not.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I have a 6 speed manual tranny in my TT and personally I think it's a pain... 6 gears is one too many (but I'm sure I hold the minority opinion)...
Eric....

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I for one totally agree, I think it's marketing BS, unless it's a low torque car like the IS200 - the Integra screams (literally) for a 6th gear. But in Audis or an IS300 with lots of torque, there's no point, especially in the US.

Originally posted by EricK:
I have a 6 speed manual tranny in my TT and personally I think it's a pain... 6 gears is one too many (but I'm sure I hold the minority opinion)...
Eric....

·
Registered
125 Posts
With a 5 speed tranny, I think you guys will be able to run a 6.6 second 0-60.

Cross your fingers.

EricK,

I love the six speed in my S2K.

------------------
Unicron
S2K/00/Silver/Black/4766
-Comptech Coilovers
-18x8.5 18x7.5 Volk Racing TE37's (Anthracite)
GrandTouring

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
in the m3 the only thing 5th is any good for is highway cruising. when its just me alone(my dad has this thing abuot me shifting around 5k rpm) i rarely see use into 4th gear, much less 5th.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The 6th gear is usually made so that 1-5 can be shorter. Thats why the Miata 6 spd is slightly quicker to 60mph. The 6th gear can also improve mileage by lowering the rpm at cruising speed. For sports cars, you need a 6 spd so that the engine can be used at highspeed. W/o the 6th gear, it would run out of breath (rpm). That being said, I think 6spd mtx would not be necassary on the IS. Also it depends on the torque curve. The narrower the powerband, the more gears you need to stay in the sweetspot.

[This message has been edited by Chiphead (edited November 05, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I question whether he even works for Toyota, as little as he seems to know about Lexus and the IS300. Maybe he's in charge of filling the water cooler? That could be where he gets all his information.
Every car magazine PLUS Lexus themselves say there's a 5 speed coming next year. (some out of touch mags incorrectly say a 6 speed). But some peon at Toyota knows different? Yeah right.

Originally posted by DtEW:
nemesiss, what do you do at Toyota?

After reading your posts, I'm just a little curious.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ckolson: I was just being tactful about it, that's all.

What got me wondering was that post on "L-Tuned Exhaust Volume", where it seemed like somebody needed to dig up a primer on basic exhaust theory. Stamped/welded manifolds are NOT optimized.

On a related note, I think the stock exhaust tubing is mandrel-bent, but that's only from what I could gather from lying on the ground without jacking up the car. I did notice that at least on my vehicle, there seems to be a rough flattening of the tubing where it goes under the rear axle/suspension at the point it is closest to the ground. The lack of gouges along the direction of travel leads me to suspect against bottom-out damage. Does anyone else see this on their IS300?

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited November 05, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Chiphead:
The 6th gear is usually made so that 1-5 can be shorter. Thats why the Miata 6 spd is slightly quicker to 60mph. The 6th gear can also improve mileage by lowering the rpm at cruising speed.
The Miata six speed has just about the same final gear ratio as the five speed. I think 5/6th gear cruising rpm's differ by about 200. The gears are just basically closer together in the 6 speed. Many people (including myself) were gung hung about putting the 6 speed in their older miata (all the miata tranny are interchangable) until they found out what the actual gear ratios were...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
BMW's don't have overdrive in many of their 5-speed trannies...top gear is 1:1 in your M3.

Originally posted by mrclam:
in the m3 the only thing 5th is any good for is highway cruising. when its just me alone(my dad has this thing abuot me shifting around 5k rpm) i rarely see use into 4th gear, much less 5th.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New United Motors Fremont people...helllooo.....but ne ways...someone is gonna find out who i am now.....just great.....
NUMMI all the way!!!!!.....

TRD

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gosh guys...dont needto get all offensive....i just hate getting my hopes up...trd finds out about new designs before consumers ..thas all..and the manual hasn't hit the boards...i didnt say that it isnt coming out..i just hate it when the dam dealers always "lie" and give out stupid dates..just to get their consumers in a bunch........

TRD

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you do work at TRD or Toyota, can you tell me what is the 5 speed used in the TRD? I think that is the 5 speed they are throwing into the IS300.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts