Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been exactly a week since I got mine. And today's the first day I got a scratch on my car!!! We were taking a trip (6 hours of driving today on IS) and I was making a U turn on a shoulder. I heard some noise, but thought it was the gravels on the shoulder. When I got home I found about 2 inches long 1/8 wide scratch on my bumper. It's under the right corner of the front bumper. I see black plastic(?) underneath. Since the bumper is plastic, I take it I won't have to worry about corrosion?

Should I even bother to fix this at all? It's barely noticeable if you look at it from the side. How much would the cost of fixing it?

Another question, What is L in your gear box?
When would you use 2, 3, or L while you are driving?

Help please....

Sean

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
L and 2 are mainly used for driving up and down long, somewhat steep hills, I think. Keeping the transmission in a lower gear during downhill travel will induce engine braking, which helps to keep your regular brakes cool. This prevents your brakes from getting too hot and causing the brake fluid to boil, which causes bubbles to form. This is a serious safety hazard (cf. spongy brake problem).

With manumatic transmissions becoming more prolific, it seems like having L (or 1) and 2 (and 3) is redundant.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
L means (L)ow gear, which means 1st gear.

You can use the shifter the same way as you would use the e-shift.

Normally if you hold a gear, it's for prevention of gear hopping (going up hill: 2nd to 3rd, then back to 2nd, and then 3rd, so on....) As far as going downhill, to hold the car speed from rolling faster; kinda like applying brakes, but in this case, engine braking. Engine braking is normally used for the prevention of overuse of brakes which may cause brake-overheating.

Especially when you're in Seattle, quite a few uphills and downhills, holding a gear down or up would be beneficial.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regarding to the pain problem, it'll probaly cost you $30 to buy a bottle of touch up paint, after all sooner or later paint chipping is going to be a problem for the is300. so, mind as well have it handy.

------------------
why worry, be happy!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Seems to me that the scratch will be difficult to patch up.....The only way to make it look nice again is to have the whole bumper repainted......Partial repainting may result in mismatch color, glossiness of the paint, and uneven distribution of metallic flakes......

Plastics do not rust, so that part you're safe.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi nextsean:
Sorry to hear about the paintchip. So how was the IS as a long trip car? I'm interested since I like to take long road trips from time to time. Was the car quiet or comfortable enought on the highway? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SteveB:
Hi nextsean:
Sorry to hear about the paintchip. So how was the IS as a long trip car? I'm interested since I like to take long road trips from time to time. Was the car quiet or comfortable enought on the highway? Thanks.
Well, my back was hurting little bit after driving for 6 hours. But I just found out yesterday that my seat was too high. So my back was leaning forward while I was driving. But I was having too much fun driving to notice any discomfort during that 6 hours.
Also IS is not made to drive like those really comfortable luxury sedan, as you know already.

As far as my paint scratch is concerned, I don't want to replace my whole bumper since you can't see the scratch unless you look underneath the bumper. I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse (cracking for example) in the future. I put a lot of wax on it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by nextsean:
Well, my back was hurting little bit after driving for 6 hours. But I just found out yesterday that my seat was too high. So my back was leaning forward while I was driving. But I was having too much fun driving to notice any discomfort during that 6 hours.
Also IS is not made to drive like those really comfortable luxury sedan, as you know already.

As far as my paint scratch is concerned, I don't want to replace my whole bumper since you can't see the scratch unless you look underneath the bumper. I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse (cracking for example) in the future. I put a lot of wax on it...
Thanks for the info. Hope you have your problem resolved soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts