Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a set of bronze FN01R-C off a friend. My questions are for those of you running these wheels, how have they held up?

I was not too impressed that the FN01R-C print on the wheels was over the clearcoat, and not under. I feel like I have to be very gentle when I clean over that area.

I've heard of the finish peeling off, and chipping away and was wondering if this was a regular occurance with these wheels?

When I clean them should I just wipe them with a towel and avoid the use of chemicals? According to Bgwilly he used just some car soap and water and the bronze started peeling off his wheels. Any one else run into these issues?

Any input would be helpful. Also I am missing those little rings between the hub and the wheel for 3 of the wheels, are they necessary? Where can I get them?

·
Registered
271 Posts
they hold up just fine. i have some in matte black and they have no peeled at all, i use car soap to clean them and a brush. you just gotta be careful with them cuz they are not powdercoated or anything, they are anodized.

are you talking about he hubcentric rings or the caps on the rims?

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
You can get the hub centric rings from most good aftermarket wheel shops. I have the bronze and i have a little flaking near the outer little lip. Some day I will strip them down with oven cleaner and refinish them but in the mean time it still looks fine.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
sounds like it is just a sticker on the wheel

Just go get new stickers made if you want that on them
haha i have these things but they havent really been put on my car for more than a day yet. Waiting on new tires. It is not a sticker he is tolking about. It is like an etched paint kinda thing. I have it on my matte blakc 5zigs. I will eventually get mine powdercoated anyways but in the mean time they have held up really good inside my garage on the shelf lol. I have a small chip on the lip of one because the tire guy is a Fckin Idiot. but you can only do and ask for so much. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool thanks for the input.

Yeah I see some odd spots where the paint seems to flake a little. They are great looking rims though, and I love the dark color cark on bronze contrast.

So I guess I'm going to need these hubcentric rings. I found a ebay store that seels them for cheap, Discount Tire.

It's a shame that the finish comes off fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Yeah look really careful on the outer lip out from the FN01R-c lettering... in the closeup you can see some flaking on my wheels.

BTW I have soem TEIN Flex w/EDFC on the way hehe...

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I got some flakin also. I wonder if it has to do with how we clean the wheels? What products do you use to clean yours Tom?

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
It has nothing to do with cleaning, mine flaked with in a week before i had ever washed them. I do a normal car wash, and some elbow grease with a soft towel, if you clean your wheels enough you dont need to scrub the brake dust off. It just wipes or rubs away. My wheels arent flaking in the heavy cleaning areas either, they do quite well there actually

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
BTW I was thinking of bringing my wheels to a machine shop and having them machine the FN01R-c into the wheel about 1/64th of an inch deep, not enough to cause a wheel to go way out of balance but enough to see if I refinish the wheel.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've owned these on my old car, a 7th gen Celica in bronze. The lettering on these wheels are very senstive, they get scratched off easily. The paint on these wheels are a bit thin, but its expected since they're very light wheels, I guess they kept everything minimal especially not caking it on with paint.

The only version that had nice lettering was the forged version which is the FN01-R's which had the "FN01R" engraved into the actual wheel.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Thats why i know its going to be a pain in the @$$ but im going to get mine powdercoated. Holds up much better than anodizing. It will cost almost $100 dollars a wheel tho :( Oh well.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
just use common sense... don't brush them or use any type of chemicals. i had the GN+ Pros (Bronze) and all i used was soap and water with a regular spunge. that should do the trick and yes they chip easy so be cautious about those curbs

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the lettering is definately way too sensitive. I was not impressed how the did the lettering over the clearcoat as it could be scratched off easily.

Anyhow, I only wash my all my wheels with soap and water anyhow, but bgwilly had these and he washed his wheels with soap and water and he mentioned the paint started flaking away :(

I think I'm going to get these either repainted or powder coated later if they start to flake badly. I want to keep the bronze color, I wonder if they powder coat in bronze?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just get them powdercoated, you can get any color you want pretty much (althought they might have to order some colors depending on the shop).
Almost any painted wheel starts to flake later on down the road

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I'm going to get a very dark slighty more red (vs the yellowish/gold) shade of bronze when I get the powder coating done.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good Tom. I also wanted a darker bronze look. The bronze on these rims are bit too light to be justified as bronze lol.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes the lettering is definately way too sensitive. I was not impressed how the did the lettering over the clearcoat as it could be scratched off easily.

Anyhow, I only wash my all my wheels with soap and water anyhow, but bgwilly had these and he washed his wheels with soap and water and he mentioned the paint started flaking away :(

I think I'm going to get these either repainted or powder coated later if they start to flake badly. I want to keep the bronze color, I wonder if they powder coat in bronze?
Yes, they do flake bad too based on normal driving. I remember when I purchased mine for my old car, after 2 weeks of driving (daily driven on the street/hwy) I already had a couple of areas where the paint had flaked off on the lip.

If you were to do a bronze, do the bronze that Volk has on their wheels, it's a lot darker and cleaner in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts