Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive in 5th all the time to save on gas. Will this hurt my engine in the long run?

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
chadro said:
I drive in 5th all the time to save on gas. Will this hurt my engine in the long run?
i think your ecu will start to read that you doin't put enough air into the engine and will make your car possibly weaker in terms of fuel and mpg.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Delta00 said:
you should always be above 2k rpms when in gear.....
What do you base your assertion on? There are many cars that cruise at 60 below 2000 RPM

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah I don't know if I buy this...I usually try to keep my rpms low, and in as high a gear as I can.

Besides, what would be the point of low-end torque if it is bad for your engine to use it?

·
Registered
902 Posts
rubley said:
What do you base your assertion on? There are many cars that cruise at 60 below 2000 RPM
Going by the Lexus manual the "reccomended" speeds to shift at all put the next gear at 2000 rpms if I remember correctly

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Why would driving in at lower rpms hurt the engine?!?! One of our previous cars would do approximately 1500 rpm while driving in the city.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of the things I love about this car is that I can leave it third gear in city traffic, routinely going even BELOW 1500 rpm without a whimper.

As long as you don't hear the engine pinging or rattling, and as long as you don't use a lot of throttle when lugging it down low, you won't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
old guy said:
One of the things I love about this car is that I can leave it third gear in city traffic, routinely going even BELOW 1500 rpm without a whimper.

As long as you don't hear the engine pinging or rattling, and as long as you don't use a lot of throttle when lugging it down low, you won't hurt a thing.
Exactly.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
you're probably not saving gas because you're over loading the engine.
it requires for the engine to consume more gas because the engine is not generating enough torque in the down low. in the high rpm range, you're also not producing gobs of torque yet uses lots of fuel to rev at such high rpm.

"to improve fuel economy, wear and noise, [the driver can choose to operate] within a speed range of between 200 to 400 rev/min on the positive torque rise side of the engine torque curve that is in a narrow speed band just beyond peak torque"
-Heinz Heisler "Advanced Vehicle Techonolgy. 2nd ed."

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i hate when people shift at extremely low rpms. taxi drivers in asia (china) do it, the car always lugs and it takes forever to get anywhere!! i guess they're thinking they can save gas doing that.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
and what's up with the username??!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts