Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an IS and want to do Lanse's stage II (there are lots of great turbos, but I'm close to Miami). I"m trying to decide between the 5spd and Auto. I would prefer the 5spd hands down, but I want this to be my fast, no problem car. Lanse says Auto is the way to go with 400rwhp; that I'll have problems with the 5spd.

The car won't be drag raced or powershifted. It's just for fun. I'm actually a roadracer and may do an occasional DE with the car, but mostly it's a fun, fast daily driver. Even taking the car to sebring, I won't be TOO hard on the gears.

So, you guys with 350 to 400rwhp and 5spds, have they held up? What problems occur? Thank you very much.

-early

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
the 5 spd is quite notorious for failing in higher power cars. Its almost luck of the draw because like wxman his has been holding and he dynoed at 549rwtq but i'm not sure what he daily drives it at. While some of the PFS owners had their tranny go around 400rwhp. I'm sure you will be fine at 350 400rwhp but don't expect it to last if your gonna drive it pretty hard. If you get the 5spd i would opt that you get the r154 tranny or if you wanna spend the cash def go for the getrag for the peace of mind of knowing your tranny won't be the thing that goes.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
just for fun boosted is300..... :eek: , my car is my only car, i dont have more than one.... 8) Wish i did :wink: , but most 5-speed owners that are boosted dont have too many problems, but tranny upgrades seem to be the thing that is needed most...(high hp #'s are needed, othwise ur fine) also u have to upgrade the clutch....with the 5-speed

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ive heard that the 5sp manual can hold up to 300hp. if thats true i would get a stage one PFS turbo kit and spend the rest on suspension parts if youre on a budget

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Well I have had Lance boost an 01 auto and a 02 5spd which is now an 02 6spd, and I can honestly that if you only want around 400rwhp than the auto is the choice for you. I had my 5spd boosted for 2 weeks, and I was running around on 11psi which equates to about 360 range and my 3rd gear discintagrated at about 4500rpms, I wasn't getting on it, I was just driving normal and I went to pass a car so I gave it some gas and next I hear what sounds like glass breaking, well it was my 3rd gear.

Now if you want to spend the $$$$.$$ for a 6spd than you won't have to worry about your tranny breaking, the piece of mind factor, but that thing is expensive, I believe around $4500 for the tranny alone, then you have another $1100 in misc parts, ie. nunts bolts plates, etc. Then you need to have a driveshaft custom made which is another $300, then you need to buy a new clutch and flywheel, which is another $1200, then you have to pay for the installation which is another $1000, which is a grand total of about $8000- $10,000. So if the means out weight the intentions than the 6spd is for you, if you can't justify spending all the money for a 6spd then the auto is for you.

Hope this helps, and if you ever around Lances shop hit me up I don't mind giving potential customers a ride, just so they can know what they are getting themselves into.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
You can always do the R154 swap.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
ITP said:
You can always do the R154 swap.
Thats true, I had forgotten about that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Freelance said:
Well I have had Lance boost an 01 auto and a 02 5spd which is now an 02 6spd, and I can honestly that if you only want around 400rwhp than the auto is the choice for you. I had my 5spd boosted for 2 weeks, and I was running around on 11psi which equates to about 360 range and my 3rd gear discintagrated at about 4500rpms, I wasn't getting on it, I was just driving normal and I went to pass a car so I gave it some gas and next I hear what sounds like glass breaking, well it was my 3rd gear.

Hope this helps, and if you ever around Lances shop hit me up I don't mind giving potential customers a ride, just so they can know what they are getting themselves into.
I was hoping to hear from you. Thank you very much for the offer. I"m in Vero, so a couple hours north of you.

Did you sell the Auto to get the 5spd? Or do you still have both?

Didn't the other 5spd come in the SC300 as well? Anybody know the cost to swap that one in? Thank you again.

-early

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LexIS307 said:
just for fun boosted is300..... :eek: , my car is my only car, i dont have more than one.... 8) Wish i did :wink: , but most 5-speed owners that are boosted dont have too many problems, but tranny upgrades seem to be the thing that is needed most...(high hp #'s are needed, othwise ur fine) also u have to upgrade the clutch....with the 5-speed
It would be a daily driver, not just a weekend boost machine.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
earlyapex said:
Freelance said:

I was hoping to hear from you. Thank you very much for the offer. I"m in Vero, so a couple hours north of you.

Didn't the other 5spd come in the SC300 as well? Anybody know the cost to swap that one in? Thank you again.

-early
Randys auto IS got totalled. So he bought the 5-speed and blew the tranny in 3rd gear. The 5-speed (R154) came out of the older supra's, while the "other" 5-speed came from the sc300. But there would be no need to swap that one in because it is weak also.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
ITP said:
earlyapex said:
Freelance said:

-early
Randys auto IS got totalled. So he bought the 5-speed and blew the tranny in 3rd gear. The 5-speed (R154) came out of the older supra's, while the "other" 5-speed came from the sc300. But there would be no need to swap that one in because it is weak also.
ITP is right on this one, my first IS had a run in w/ a wall at the drag strip, so I went out and bought a 5spd, which I blew the tranny and I just got the car back last Fri. w/ the 6spd installed.

Vero, I know that place, we go surfing up in that area well mostly Sebastian or Jupiter, but we stopped once in Vero.

Anyways if your down in the area or your planning to make a trip let me know I will clear some time and we'll meet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Freelance said:
ITP is right on this one, my first IS had a run in w/ a wall at the drag strip, so I went out and bought a 5spd, which I blew the tranny and I just got the car back last Fri. w/ the 6spd installed.

Vero, I know that place, we go surfing up in that area well mostly Sebastian or Jupiter, but we stopped once in Vero.

Anyways if your down in the area or your planning to make a trip let me know I will clear some time and we'll meet.
Freelance,
Which do you like better, the auto or 6spd?

A ride would be great. Thank you.

You should come out to Sebring Sept. 6th and 7th for the PBOC driver's ed event. Your car would be awesome on a road race track (although the brakes may not be able to keep up with the turbo). Let me know if you are interested in coming and I'll set it up.

-early

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have the auto Toyo Stage II ++ and I'd like to give you a little advise...

If you're gonna do this thing right, here's the way to go...

1) DONT get a brand new car, b/c you're gonna void the warranty anyway by doing the turbo and I'm sure you're gonna do suspension so the warranty will be useless... get a 15k to 20k mile car for a $8-$10k discount.

2) Get a 5-speed and buy the 6-speed supra tranny and rear end. If you're lucky, you'll find them used, but brand new, the whole setup with install will cost you in the $10k range (money you saved by getting a used is300)

3) Do the setup with the supra tt internals and a large turbo, and you'll be set for a killer car.

Trust me, my car right now is capable of over 650 whp, but I can't do it with the auto... I can't put the power to the ground nor can I run that power with the tranny... and now I'm looking at over $12k for a manual swap and one hell of a headache!

So, do it right the first time and get the manual car. That's my friendly advise. Till then, I'll wait till Lance works his magic and solves the auto tranny problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good advice, how about e-shift to 6spd mod??

onyx_is said:
I have the auto Toyo Stage II ++ and I'd like to give you a little advise...

If you're gonna do this thing right, here's the way to go...

1) DONT get a brand new car, b/c you're gonna void the warranty anyway by doing the turbo and I'm sure you're gonna do suspension so the warranty will be useless... get a 15k to 20k mile car for a $8-$10k discount.

2) Get a 5-speed and buy the 6-speed supra tranny and rear end. If you're lucky, you'll find them used, but brand new, the whole setup with install will cost you in the $10k range (money you saved by getting a used is300)

3) Do the setup with the supra tt internals and a large turbo, and you'll be set for a killer car.

Trust me, my car right now is capable of over 650 whp, but I can't do it with the auto... I can't put the power to the ground nor can I run that power with the tranny... and now I'm looking at over $12k for a manual swap and one hell of a headache!

So, do it right the first time and get the manual car. That's my friendly advise. Till then, I'll wait till Lance works his magic and solves the auto tranny problem.
That's great advice. Does it make any sense to buy an eshift with higher mileage to get it cheap and swap to a 6spd? If I'm going to swap the engine, tranny and rear, why not? unless the auto to 6spd is a major PITA. Is that what you are going to do?

-early

·
Registered
612 Posts
Re: good advice, how about e-shift to 6spd mod??

earlyapex said:
That's great advice. Does it make any sense to buy an eshift with higher mileage to get it cheap and swap to a 6spd? If I'm going to swap the engine, tranny and rear, why not? unless the auto to 6spd is a major PITA. Is that what you are going to do?

-early

It does NOT make any sense to get the e-shift. Just get a high mileage 5-speed and do the swap. I know you can get a 40k mile one for about $21-$23k. Swapping out the auto with a manual is a MAJOR endeavor... and a big pain in the ass! If you're starting from scratch, just get the 5-speed. As for me, I'm going to wait a while till hopefully someone comes up with a good solution for the auto tranny. If that doesn't happen in a year from now, I'll probably look for a used 5-speed and throw everything I have in my car into it and then sell my car. I think I'd be better off that way than trying to swap a manual into my auto.

·
Registered
161 Posts
PFS shifts GREAT!

Well, you can always make the choice to get a PFS turbo kit and then we modify your automatic transmission so it will shift awesome in ALL gears.

We have tested this at over 500rwhp to date and ran 11.7 sec in the quarter with our customer’s car.

Very soon you may well see an 800rwhp IS300 running with a PFS upgraded automatic transmission. Unfortunately this upgrade only works in conjunction with the PFS turbo kit and TEC 3 engine management.

BTW: The valvebody upgrade costs only $500 when you purchase the PFS turbo kit. Much cheaper than $10K for a 6 speed and faster in the quarter mile. (I have raced both)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts