Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'min the market for a used IS300.

There are a LOT of autos on the market. As that was the ONLY tranny config available when the car came out, there are more of them.

I plan to do basic mods intiially. i/h/e and that woudl be it.

maybe down the road I woudl do a turbo. although as I live in CA I need a smog legal turbo kit and I have yet to see oen...so until one is made, I will have to stay NA.

with that said, aside from the obvious differences, what do you all think...should I get a stick or auto..

i have only driven the auto/e-shift....it was cool....it's just that no matter what, those auto shifters NEVER are like a true manual...

i like changing gears...but sometimes I feel like an auto..

is one faster than the other??

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the manual , if driven by a good driver, will beat the auto considering the auto driver is a good driver as well.
the difference between the two is about +/- 15rwhp

if you add intake and exhaust to the auto, it will run pretty well, sound good, and be less a hassle to drive in traffic.

manual will still be faster if you add the same mods and are a good driver.

just know that what it really comes down to is driver skill.

i have a 2001 auto (only choice available at the time) with intake and exhaust. i have actually beaten a manual is300 a few times just because the driver couldnt drive well enough.
ive also beaten autos by really big distances just because the driver couldnt launch well either.. its a big part driver, littler part manual or auto.

i actually like the auto myself. its easy to drive and still fun. the Is300 is just a fun car overall. really enjoyable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I commute in the manual, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I feel more comfortable in a manual, feels like i have a lot more control over the car. I raced an auto and he never had a chance, and i'm not haten on the autos. Just depends on your own preference.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
5spd-lexus said:
I commute in the manual, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I feel more comfortable in a manual, feels like i have a lot more control over the car. I raced an auto and he never had a chance, and i'm not haten on the autos. Just depends on your own preference.
you must be a good driver then :D

the guy i raced was just horrible in his shifts.. some people have it, some dont.. haha

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've never lost to a "stock" automatic car :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Think about which one you would regret more if you didn't get. Will you be driving one day and say I wish I had the manual, or will you be stuck in traffic and say I wish I had the auto.

That being said, I would go for the manual. At this point, I will only consider manual cars.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I say manual,more fun, let me clarify the traffic issue. Traffic is only irritating if you have to come toe a FULL stop repeatedly. I live in NYC so im in traffic 3 hours a day buts its slow not stop and go

·
Registered
971 Posts
Get the one that YOU like or want. Make sure when you get it, you won't regret it. Cars aren't girls where you can switch everyday :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Rav4skyracer said:
Get the one that YOU like or want. Make sure when you get it, you won't regret it. Cars aren't girls where you can switch everyday :D
unless you have lots of money.. then its 7 girls for the 7 days in the week.. haha

just like Jay Z in that video "whats ur name".. 7 cars.. "sunday", "monday"..etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts