Lexus IS Forum banner

5 speed owners / how long did your clutch last

4K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Allen0506 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 5 speed with 28k on it, and all i hear about is how our clutches are so weak.

I'v heard all the storys and just want to know who has and hasn't had to replace there clutches yet. Will I have to replace it no matter what?

Please state mileage, year, how hard you drive the car, and if your on the original clutch or 1st, 2nd etc.

Thanks

#2 ·
Clutch wear depends entirely on the driver, if you beat the shit out of the car (drag race, burnouts, doughnut etc) then don't expect the clutch to last long. That's like asking someone how long will your tires last. There are way too many variables involved. The theoritical answer would be 200k+ before true wear and tear becomes an issue and replacement is neccessary.

#4 ·
[QUOTE='03IntensaBlueBeast]Clutch wear depends entirely on the driver, if you beat the shit out of the car (drag race, burnouts, doughnut etc) then don't expect the clutch to last long. That's like asking someone how long will your tires last. There are way too many variables involved. The theoritical answer would be 200k+ before true wear and tear becomes an issue and replacement is neccessary.[/QUOTE]

I don't do any of that I drive my car very respectable except for every once in a while I like to push it.

#5 ·
I'm at 49K, spirited driving but never abused. Any less than 150K would be disappointing...200K would be more like it. Last year I sold my 95 Accord @225K with a perfect original clutch and I drove that car really hard.

Fact: Too many people abuse or don't know how to drive a manual.

#7 ·
bought my car used with the clutch toasted at 52k..but from what i hear alot of people who dont remove their CDD experience slipping in late 28k miles...

#8 ·
If you drive like an idiot you will toast it!

My brother in law has a 2003 and his clutch is blown to hell.
He thinks hes Mario Andretti, but hes just Mario the pizza guy (no
offense meant, my uncles Italian). He drives this thing into the ground and then some. Of course he cant shift worth a damn either, his idea of speed shifting is keeping your foot on the gas and dumping the clutch in an instant, so the car learches and jumps every time he shifts. Sad part is its a corp. lease, so he does not give a crap!

Entropy

#9 ·
Got 50 out of mine. :pissed:

And lucky me - the flywheel had some damage so Lexus says - you need a new flywheel to.

Like im gonna pay for that.

I just bought the car a month ago, and the previous owner obviously didn't know how to drive stick, cause Lexus is replacing my tranny under warranty - FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!!

At least I don't have to pay any labor, as it is included in the re&re of the tranny.

So I called up Unorthodox, ordered the IS300 solid flywheel and their new IS300 Kevlar clutch. (full disc, not puck design)

As soon as it is done, I will drive it home and do the CDD delete. Not gonna have that luxury piece of shit shift smoother-outer fuck up this clutch.

#11 ·
Wookie said:
As soon as it is done, I will drive it home and do the CDD delete. Not gonna have that luxury piece of shit shift smoother-outer fuck up this clutch.
:p That is def. the FUNNIEST thing I've heard all week!!! "luxury piece of shit smoother-outer"

#12 ·
30K here, beat the clutch pretty bad. Still works like a champ though :) Im expecting about another 20 - 35K out of it before i replace it. Theoretically though, if you drive a car properly and just baby it, dont slip it or anything, it should last for the life of the car.

#13 ·
wookie..the solid flywheel same as the 11lbs lightened one??..and yeah take that piece of shit clutch damaging device out.. then light that shit on fire

#14 ·
Wookie said:
Got 50 out of mine. :pissed:

And lucky me - the flywheel had some damage so Lexus says - you need a new flywheel to.

Like im gonna pay for that.

I just bought the car a month ago, and the previous owner obviously didn't know how to drive stick, cause Lexus is replacing my tranny under warranty - FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!!

At least I don't have to pay any labor, as it is included in the re&re of the tranny.

So I called up Unorthodox, ordered the IS300 solid flywheel and their new IS300 Kevlar clutch. (full disc, not puck design)

you're lucky they change your clutch/trany under warranty.

i got about 42k miles on mine. I replaced it with oem, took out the CDD and now it feels perfect. I can feel the engagement point better. None of that " luxury piece of shit shift smoother-outer ..."
:lol:

#15 ·
I think removal of the CDD allows the perceptive driver to engage the clutch more precisely and rev match much easier. Im sure that the way the CDD engages the clutch is far less accurate, I mean you could drop the damn clutch at stand still with no gas and the car would shake for like 3 seconds just to let you know that you were doing something wrong before it stalled, lol. Lexus is just trying to aid those whom think they know how to drive a stick. I have 35k and drive the shit out of my car, but I do my very best not to over rev when 0mph starting. I think that the most damage occurs when you over rev and drop the clutch b/c theres no freakin way the stock clutch is gonna grab the fly wheel and spin the wheels dramatically like the engine is capable of doing. My clutch still feels like butta baby.

#16 ·
agent009_98 said:
you're lucky they change your clutch/trany under warranty.
Only the tranny - they wanted me to pay 2600 CDN for the flywheel/clutch kit. Although they are paying the labor - they would have to swap the clutch components over anyway.

Just under 3K for parts only?!?!?! Pucker up and kiss my white arse!

Unorthodox Flywheel and CLutch kit for 1300 CDN.

Done. And makes for upgrading later on much easier.

#18 ·
dinh said:
How I will know when my clutch is worn out? (1st manual car :))
You'll feel it like revving higher at rpms and the car wont be moving as fast... Best way to find out is to drive on a uphill.. like come to a complete stop try to engage first gear going up the hill.. if it doesnt grap right away your clutch is slipping. ANother way of doing it is to Leave the car in first gear and just let go of the clutch and letting it stall.. if it stalls right away your still good.. if it take like 2 seconds to stall.. ur clutch is no good.. Hope this helps

#21 ·
Wookie said:
Only the tranny - they wanted me to pay 2600 CDN for the flywheel/clutch kit. Although they are paying the labor - they would have to swap the clutch components over anyway.

Just under 3K for parts only?!?!?! Pucker up and kiss my white arse!

Unorthodox Flywheel and CLutch kit for 1300 CDN.

Done. And makes for upgrading later on much easier.
Wookie how does the clutch feel? I am very interested in changing to a solid flywheel and sprung disc because I hate the way my clutch feels/engages. Is the new disc smoother and less clunking?
As for the thread info I have 65k on my clutch and drive it hard. Drag racing, burnouts the whole deal.

Eric

#22 ·
vwluv10338 said:
Wookie how does the clutch feel? I am very interested in changing to a solid flywheel and sprung disc because I hate the way my clutch feels/engages. Is the new disc smoother and less clunking?
As for the thread info I have 65k on my clutch and drive it hard. Drag racing, burnouts the whole deal.

Eric

Eric take a look at my review i just got a similar setup on my car.. everything you ned to know is in there...
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=263713

#23 ·
23k on it and i beat it up pretty bad-it won't last another 5000-word 2 the wise: DO NOT LET A CHICK LEARN HOW 2 DRIVE MANUAL ON YUR LEXUS-LOL-ONE CHICK RODE IT SO BAD

#24 ·
it smelt like shit for 4 days

#25 ·
Mine only lasted 20K. So i brought it into the dealer and blamed it on the CDD. Found out that my clutch was gone flywheel was gone and needed a new tranny cuz some kinda bearing fell in the tranny. All covered by warrenty! <I didn't drive it hard either>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.