Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, huge huge thanks to IS300.net member CEB (Charles) for removing my CDD for me. I drove down today and he pretty much did everything. Awesome guy, really really nice and I learned a few things in the process. :)

Let me start by saying I have read people's opinions of removing the CDD and how its the best bang for buck, but I think its like night and day. Honestly, my IS finally feels like a 5-speed! As crazy as that sounds, it felt more like a luxury 5-speed manual rather than a somewhat sport 5-speed manual. The gears weren't as precise as my Prelude, or Celica in the past.

After removing the CDD, the clutch feels AWESOME. The pedal stiffness feels about the same, but the engagement point is very distinct.

When taking off from a deadstop with the CDD, it feels like you have to ride the clutch to take off smoothly. At least for me, it always did. Now that the CDD is removed honestly every shift feels way smoother.

My next mod: short shifter. :) Any advice on which one?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just installed my B&M Short Shifter about a month ago and i love it....It only shortened the height by about an inch or less but the throws are at least 50% shorter, very precise....the installation was very easy and only took me about an hour and a half....

Mark Anthony

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anthony, how much was the B&M and where did you get it? Any noises?

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
anthony488 said:
I just installed my B&M Short Shifter about a month ago and i love it....It only shortened the height by about an inch or less but the throws are at least 50% shorter, very precise....the installation was very easy and only took me about an hour and a half....

Mark Anthony
How in the hell does the CDD mod have anything to do with he B&M shifter...? I know its the same topic of shifting and whatnot, but the topic was the CDD...:lol:

j/k its all good how do you like it? Got any pics?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Great to meet you as well Mike. I'm glad you are happy with the clutch now. Happy modding. Hope to see you around again.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Whats the NAPA part number to make the conection were the CDD was again???

B.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
BlackSportD said:
Whats the NAPA part number to make the conection were the CDD was again???

B.
Napa# 7934A (10mm - Brake Line Union)

I just bought mine after work today...luckily they have 2 in stock :)

Hey! SoCal .netters who are interested in doing the CDD mod why don't we do a meet at someones house and do the install???

..i dunno just a thought, i'm too cheap to buy that clutch bleeder...or i can buy it and you all can use it...that way i don't feel its a waste.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^^ Sounds damn good. What part stores should have that part? Is it a pep boys thing or I gotta go somewhere else?

B.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I'm down too! Who wants to buy the clutch bleeder? I have the tools...

When?
Where?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
2 JZ-GE said:
I'm down too! Who wants to buy the clutch bleeder? I have the tools...

When?
Where?
The clutch bleeder is optional but it sure does make life easy.....it will come in handy for the brakes as well...as well as other things.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I've read some did the CDD mod without bleeding and everything was fine. Then again, I'm anal like that so I rather do it once & do it correctly.

Thanks for the 411

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
2 JZ-GE said:
I've read some did the CDD mod without bleeding and everything was fine. Then again, I'm anal like that so I rather do it once & do it correctly.

Thanks for the 411

Please bleed the clutch. If there is even a little bit of air in the line, you will have serious problems driving the car. I know from experience (not from doing the CDD mod, but because the Lexus dealership didn't bleed my line when they did some warranty work).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
azzurro said:
Please bleed the clutch. If there is even a little bit of air in the line, you will have serious problems driving the car. I know from experience (not from doing the CDD mod, but because the Lexus dealership didn't bleed my line when they did some warranty work).

I agree. Whether by bleeder pump or conventional method, it really should be done for good measure because it is virtually impossible to do this mod without getting some air into the line....and any air in the line is bad even if it may not seem to be a problem at first. The same thing with brakes any air is bad even though the brakes may seem to be ok with a tiny bit of air. Brake/clutch fluid absorbs moisture over time and looses performance. Even a tiny bit of air will reduce the margin one has. My brakes felt fine but when I changed fluid/bled them at 30K they became firmer better is a good case in point.

Just to clarify, when I said the bleeder pump was optional I didn't mean bleeding was optional.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
CEB said:
Just to clarify, when I said the bleeder pump was optional I didn't mean bleeding was optional.
sureeeeeeeeeeee.... ;)

j/k

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I just did the CDD mod Saturday night...
results you say? I will just take MonStar1120's statement
MonStar1120 said:
After removing the CDD, the clutch feels AWESOME. The pedal stiffness feels about the same, but the engagement point is very distinct.

When taking off from a deadstop with the CDD, it feels like you have to ride the clutch to take off smoothly. At least for me, it always did. Now that the CDD is removed honestly every shift feels way smoother.
Yup! Exactly what he said...
:cool:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
wow! now only if someone in So Cal knew how to do it :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts