Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a 5 speed Leather Boot? I have an automatic right now, and want to place the 5 speed booth over my automatic console, so it appears to be a Manual. I know this is very lame, but I would like to see the look and try it out. Anyone done this yet? and better yet, anyone have pics and pricing, part info or where I can buy just the leather boot?

Thanks for your time and reply.

Kevin

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah, i've done this with a momo boot. I just had to cut some of the excess leather on the bottom. Works nicely with the momo knob since the boot screws onto the base. I'll take some pics later if you want.

As a side note, i didn't do this to fool anyone into thinking i have a manual. i have no issues with driving an auto and letting people know that, but i've always thought that the big colored letters were ugly and i just wanted a clean look. Flame if you will but i like it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
^^ Show us some pics please :)

Mercedes uses leather boot on automatics, and I gotta say it looks much more elegant and stylish than a plastic cover.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea man, throw up some pics if you can. I don't really plan on fooling anyone into thinking it's a manual (only 2 pedals still :) ) I do agree it's a much more refined, and stylized look that I want to go for.

Also, if you could tell me where you bought the boot etc, from and for how much?

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You know what, it actually looks a lot better than the E shift !

How dud you go about taking the console off ?

Any instructions anywhere ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
installation is really easy, the hardest part for me was getting the momo logos to line up on the boot and knob.

all you have to do is take a knife (or something similar) and use it to lift up the chrome ring that surrounds the shifter. lift it up from the front (closest to the seat) and the ring as well as the rest of the pocket behind the shifter will pop out. then just put the boot on and stuff the base of it into the grooves where the ring would be and snap it back down. That's it.

i'd say that whatever boot you get is going to have too much leather, so you'll have to trim it down so you don't have excess pouring out around everywhere. just be careful not to do too much or you'll be SOL and have to buy a new one.

for those asking about pricing.... the momo stuff isn't cheap, so you'd be better off hitting up ebay to see what you can get. the knobs tend to range from about 40 all the way up to 100. the boot i have is made for the momo knob and is called the "performance boot". it usually runs for about 50, so again ebay may be your friend.

if i wasn't clear or anyone has any other questions, fire away.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
how much do we cut off of the boot? other than that the instructions are good. Thanks man :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
BUTRBALL12 said:
how much do we cut off of the boot? other than that the instructions are good. Thanks man :D
i don't remember exactly how much i had to cut off... i just remember that it took me about 3 trys before i cut enough off to make it look good.

just do a little bit at a time and see how it looks on. also be careful, cause the boot gets more narrow as it goes up, so if you cut too high it might not be wide enough to fit around the base of the shifter.

good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
alright i was lookin and i wanna keep my stock shift knob.............also i dont feel like spending 100+ dollars on a mod like this :oops: .............. is there any way i could just buy like a universal leather shift boot and make it fit to the stock knob........how would it attach to the knob???? thanks alot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts