Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
the thump is just when putting it in gear from a stop. that noise and the syncro noise are guna be there no matter what. unless you change trannys. its wierd because i had become used to it, then during lunch today i was like "SHIT THAT SOUNDS CRAPPY, while shifting" but then i remember to just try and ignor it.

sorry this post doesn't help, but your not alone buddy.....we all got it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So you're talking about the thump you get when you are at a stop with the engine running and then you put in the clutch and when you push it into first *thump*? Isn't that the same noise that is caused by the slack?

When the LSD kicks in, I get a series of thumps.... but that has nothing to do with the shifter, no?

Cleo said:
it's the noise from the synchro-mesh gears not the rear differential. they sound similar but the rear differential thump only occurs when you're moving

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
my car does not get a thump while putting the car in gear. The only thump that i have is the mechanical thump comming from the rear. I have a thump in every gear, not just 1-2 or 2-3. And i believe the thump comming from the transmission itself is the cause of a lousy throwout bearing. If you guys can get your hands on a better quality throwout bearing (think supra tranny) your initial thump going into gear should be eliminated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.