Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering when I have to start worrying about replacing brake pads, stock tires?

I bring my car into toyota or lexus every 5000miles
haven't had any recommendations for fixes thus far...

90% driven on highways (long commute to work)

nj weather

+41K miles on 17inch stock tires??????? used to have is300... had to replace those tires like less than 15K

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a valid question... if it were roughly the same posts, but they aren't

one is referring to brake pads and tire wear... which is not covered under warranty.

the other post refers to stuff people have been fixing on their cars under warranty (under warranty = free)

So I think I should be free to ask valid questions on this general forum, without you policing my posts

·
Premium Member
14,403 Posts
IF that were my car, i would have changed my brake fluids, pads, resurfaced the rotors, flush the tranny fluid and differential fluid. On top of the obvious oil change and filter changes.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
IF that were my car, i would have changed my brake fluids, pads, resurfaced the rotors, flush the tranny fluid and differential fluid. On top of the obvious oil change and filter changes.
He has an automatic 2IS, you can't change the transmission fluid, it's a sealed unit.

The service manual never suggests a diff fluid change either.

No reason to resurface perfectly good rotors unless you want to have to replace em sooner.

And the pads need to be replaced when they're below minimum spec (1 mm)... that could be at 20k miles, it could be at 41k miles, it could be at 80k miles too... (and with it being almost all highway driving the higher numbers are more likely).... Just about any brake place will do a free inspection and tell you the remaining thickness on pads.

For tires, same deal, you need to replace them when they're near the end of their service life, and again most shops will measure this for you free if you don't know how yourself (though it's easy enough to look up how online).... 41k is pretty impressive for the factory tires though so I'd definitely want to know the tread depth ASAP on those.

Now, brake fluid, yeah, that should be done every 2 years or 30,000 miles. Should run 100-150 bucks.

·
Premium Member
14,403 Posts
He has an automatic 2IS, you can't change the transmission fluid, it's a sealed unit.

The service manual never suggests a diff fluid change either.
whoa, seriously?

So I don't have to worry about the tranny fluid at all? Is it the same lifetime tranny fluid as the 04+ LS430's?

As for differential.. If it's still maintainable, i'd like to change it out around 50k miles or so.. royal purple synthetic. Don't you think it would need at least a fresh fluid change?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
whoa, seriously? So I don't have to worry about the tranny fluid at all? Is it the same lifetime tranny fluid as the 04+ LS430's?
Seriously. Says it right in the scheduled maintenance guide, it's a sealed unit with lifetime fluid. Even if you were to drop the pan you wouldn't get even half the fluid out... I assume it's the same WS fluid as used in the LS.

As for differential.. If it's still maintainable, i'd like to change it out around 50k miles or so.. royal purple synthetic. Don't you think it would need at least a fresh fluid change?
Here at least it is physically possible to change the fluid, but it's never called for.

Especially given that it's not even a mechanical posi with wear clutches I'm not sure why you'd need to change that either, it's not like that fluid is ever really subjected to much abuse.

Why open it up and risk getting contaminants in there without a good reason?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks knightshade, I did all the schedule maintenances every 5K miles...

wouldn't they inform me of worn out treads??
or brake pad issues??

I mean I pay good money for these maintenance... i'd expect some recommendations at the least from these dealership service centers?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
thanks knightshade, I did all the schedule maintenances every 5K miles...

wouldn't they inform me of worn out treads??
or brake pad issues??

I mean I pay good money for these maintenance... i'd expect some recommendations at the least from these dealership service centers?

Absolutely they should be informing you when these parts are near worn out... as I say your brakes especially might well have a ton of life left in them if you mostly drive on the highway and don't brake much.

What I'd suggest though is that next time (assuming they don't note this on your invoice) ask them exactly what the pads, rotors, and tires measure. They should be checking this anyway so it's information they should have to hand to provide you.

That will allow you to make a fairly well educated guess on exactly how soon you'll need to replace any of those parts and you can plan/budget accordingly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Transmission is a sealed unit? That's a load of bs. You never have to change the transmission fluid but my dealer recommends changing it every 60k. I did my rear differential fluid at 40k and that's also supposed to be lifetime. You can absolutely change the fluid and if you plan to keep the car past 100k I would definitely recommend it. Most dealers charge about $360 for the job though.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Transmission is a sealed unit? That's a load of bs. You never have to change the transmission fluid but my dealer recommends changing it every 60k.'
Of course he does, he wants money from you.

What does he know that the people who built the car do not?

You can absolutely change the fluid and if you plan to keep the car past 100k I would definitely recommend it. Most dealers charge about $360 for the job though.
You really can not change the fluid.

You can drain a small fraction of it out, then replace that amount.

I imagine that's what your dealer hits you up for $360 to do and then tells you he "changed" the fluid.

If you'd care to explain how it's even physically possible to remove all, or even most, of the fluid to do a change, we'd all love to hear it.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
You must know everything so i'll leave you alone.... :rolleyes:
Well, I know ya can't get most of the fluid out anyway.

So does Lexus, that's why they tell you it's a sealed unit in your owners manual.

For your reference here's how to add fluid to the system, and the amount you can get out of it for various things-

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/500/Transmission_fluid_change.JPG

The total system has like 8-9 quarts in it. Removing the oil pan entirely only gets 1.3-1.5 qts out... simply removing the drain plug will likely be less.

That diagram is from Lexus themselves.

So again, what do you think you know that the people who built the car don't?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.