Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do yall think it would be worth it, about 1000, i want to retain the stock look while adding some meat to the tread, only .5 an inch on each wheel though, gett a couple tires sizes up on it.. maybe..

i am still fighting on the "worth it" thing

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
I certianly wish we had those wheels stock...

If it's worth it depends on how much you want to stay "stock looking". There are plenty of other 17x7.5 wheels you could get for the same or less money.

You can fit 225's easily on the 7" wheel now. For it to be worth it, you might want to go to 235...

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like the stock look of the rims, i have never bought rims outside of manufacturers, not really sure why i just never have.. if i buy aftermarket rims i would go for 18x8.5 all the way around or the widest that fits, no stagger.

i dunno,the sport cross rims just seemed like a good idea, i thinkit'd be kinda cool, get some all seasons on the 7" and then get some r compound on the 7.5"

i don't really know the rubber sizes for ech wheels but would the difference in an r-compound of the 7.5" be enough better than the r compoound on a 7", performance wise? i can pick up a set of 7" decently cheap, hard to find the sportX rims, especially 2 sets of rears

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
umm what are you talking about? the sportX wheels are the same as the sedan wheels. the only difference is the wider tires on the rear. 225 vs sedan's 215.

you can always just put 225s on your stocks.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
irv_usc said:
umm what are you talking about? the sportX wheels are the same as the sedan wheels. the only difference is the wider tires on the rear. 225 vs sedan's 215.

you can always just put 225s on your stocks.

the rear wheels on a sportX is 17x7.5 . he's talking about getting 4 of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I read that the rear SportX wheels will rub the suspension in the front due to the 55mm offset. For not a whole lot more money, go for 17X7.5" SSR GT1s, 48 offset. They are kinda sorta stock looking, only better.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I also remember one of the sportcross owners tried to install a rear 7.5 wheel and 225 tire on the front of his car and he reported that it rubbed. The sportcross 7.5s are harder to find but you can buy lighter new SSR GT1s from the tirerack for $299 plus shipping.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it rubs? thats the first i heard of that, well then i might get some ssr's i like them , i like the gt3's better and those aren't 300 a piece :) thanks guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
how about putting the sportcross rear 17x7.5 rims on sedan rear?

if i do i would just leave the front w/ 17x7 but would like to upgrade the rear to 17x7.5 if there isn't rubbing issue on the rear fender lining....

please advise~

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
you know you can just stick a 225 tire on the stock sedan wheel if you just want a thicker tread pattern right? other than that i don't see the point in searching for four sportx rear wheels when they might rub in the front.. if you want wider wheels just go aftermarket... get a knockoff even if you want to stay with 17s.. they are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well back to my original question, how about running the oem 17x7 rims on the front & running the oem 17x7.5 rims (from sportcross) on the rear? would they rub for sedan on the rear?

please advise anyone? 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
sun said:
SportX rears will work fine on the rear of a Sedan. I have this set-up on my car.
that's exactly what i wanted to hear!!!
thanks for the reply!!! :D

hey can you possibly post the picture here? i just want to see how they look on the rear, in case i want to drop my ride crazy(tuck in).

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're looking to put R compound tires on a set of wheels, you may as well get something lighter than stock, especially for $1000.

·
Registered
42 Posts
EL_PAALO said:
If you're looking to put R compound tires on a set of wheels, you may as well get something lighter than stock, especially for $1000.

hehehe, i love to stay with the oem style, i've had too much fun with my accord, so no more mods for me except the oem mods.

$.02

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here are a couple of pics. They aren't that good as it's snowing out. I'll be posting these for trade in the For Sale Forum.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
somguy2u said:
get some straight from the rear shots
yeah, you can barely tell they are wider...i can't tell at all

get some pics to make the rear rims look really MEATY

i would get aftermarket rims, unless i can get a good deal on the Sport-X rears.....

remember rear axle does not turn, so rubbing is not as much of a problem....if you do it, think about the height difference when you got someone in the back seat

·
Registered
586 Posts
Staggered

Running a wider size in the rear offers no performance advantage on an IS300. I would run the 225/45 17 all the way around on a light weight Kazera, Kosei or SSR 17 x 7.5 wheel. For the best summer performance this would be a great combo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts