Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been dreaming about getting a 4post lift for my garage for the longest time. It'll provide me with an at-home solution for a hoist to allow me to do a lot of wrenching at home and increase my indoor parking space situation from a 2 car garage, to a 3 car. I really like where I'm living right now and I don't really want to step up in house size (I don't need more sq ft of living space and hate cleaning as it is right now) in order to get a 3 car garage.

Here's my current car-parking situation.

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:

I've researched a couple of brands: Rotary, Restmod, DirectLift and ProPark etc.

It looks like I will have to spend about $3000 installed.

Anybody have experience with installation of these lifts? What sort of electrical work needs to be done?

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
baller would be once I get this installed to get a GX470 to pull my race car behind it.

(imagine its not recreational marine craft......but a race car)

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^yes please could you ask him:
a) what kind is it? Rotary? Restomod? Direct Lift? Pro Park?
b) how much? how much installed?
c) where he got it?

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Well.....Just how much clearance do you have with that ceiling of yours?

Don't forget when lifting a car 6 feet, you need another 5 to 6 feet of ceiling height.

I would say, that you need a minimum of 12 -14 foot ceiling height or more, to be able to walk under your vehicle especially if you want to park another car under it!

I have experience with Rotary, ADG forward, Bend-Pak, Hydra-Lift if you want some reliability recommendations. Rotary are the best of the bunch, but you will pay a little more for one. Bend-Pak is the next as a value option, and why most pictures you have are their models.

In all of those pictures those cars are not lifted high enough to comfortably work under them. This would cause you great effort on your back in a half bent of position for long periods of time.

Most use an electric motor that drives hydraulic pistons. The motors can be wired 220 or 110, just specify when purchasing the hoist - they will have both options available. Your first picture shows the motor and hydraulic reservoir mounted to the post. That's it! You will just have some high pressure lines and the power cord.

The posts will have to be bolted to the concrete pad - The second picture shows the 4 bolts per post required.

You really do not need to be an engineer to mount a 4 post ( a 2 post is a lot more tricky) - its the assembly of the parts that will take some effort.

Quite frankly I'm surprised at your price. This would seem to be a bigger investment to me with the shipping and installation costs. I would think this would be closer to $6000 Canadian

FYI - its the law to have your hoist inspected yearly as it is classified as a lifting device (like elevators).

The Toronto auto show always has a hoist vendor/ distributors in the Skydome/ Rogers Center vendor area.

Digger08

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
liftsuperstore.com

carlift.ca

directlift.ca

$3000 is like the installed price.

Digger, why don't you come over, see Luke, and the race car. And help me measure the ceiling height!

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the lifts come with drip trays.

on top of that......... Lexus' maintained by meticulous people should'nt have leaks!

1,786 Posts
the lifts come with drip trays.

on top of that......... Lexus' maintained by meticulous people should'nt have leaks!
amen...
how about you check your pm's mr moderator? :p

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ I'm not near my laptop to be able to pull out the parts catalogue. I will when I get back to my hotel tonight. Sorry DiHo.

1,786 Posts
^^ I'm not near my laptop to be able to pull out the parts catalogue. I will when I get back to my hotel tonight. Sorry DiHo.
sall good holmes.

.. off topic.. i hate the jar of marbles sound on my flywheel..:(

my next lexus will be a 2Jz...with the e-shit shifter......but i guess without Mr miagi inside...lol

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here's what he said:

1) its a 4 post 7500 lb lift, made in Texas, USA
2) the installed price was about $4200.00 (5 years ago)
3) I purchased it from the Mustang Store in Pickering. I believe they still sell the american made lift ,but now they also sell a less expensive lift from china as well....if I recall correctly ....& last year the import lift cost around $3000 or so. Ask for Joe at the Mustang Store.
NOTE: the american lifts are USA safety certified/ I have heard the imports do not meet the North American standards.....so check this out before your friend buys a lift......"safety first".

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the ProPark 8 is ALI and ETL and ANSI certified. But I think the ProPark is made in China.

But $2500 cdn is a really good price

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Looks like the ProPark 8 is ALI and ETL and ANSI certified. But I think the ProPark is made in China.

But $2500 cdn is a really good price
Check that the electrical is CSA approved as well..no point in getting a Hyundai lift, if its going to implode.

Digger08

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I've been dreaming about getting a 4post lift for my garage for the longest time. It'll provide me with an at-home solution for a hoist to allow me to do a lot of wrenching at home and increase my indoor parking space situation from a 2 car garage, to a 3 car. I really like where I'm living right now and I don't really want to step up in house size (I don't need more sq ft of living space and hate cleaning as it is right now) in order to get a 3 car garage.

Here's my current car-parking situation.

Toyota Tundra in your garage... I Have the exact same one in mine hahaha i'm guessing you work for Toyota? thats how you snagged it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.