Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 auto is300 was running perfect. Valve cover gaskets were leaking on gte, so I replaced them. After re-assembling rpm idles around 2100-2300 with 4 cel codes. Throttle responds perfectly raising rpm from 2100, then once released it goes back to 2100.

1. Put in new spark plugs with the same iridium ones that were in there. (So shouldn’t make a difference)

2. Throttle body had really bad deposits, so I used a toothbrush and simple green to get rid of it all. After I removed all the black deposits, there was some space between the side walls and metal valve when it was fully closed. (Metal circle valve must have eroded away on the top and bottom edge after 230k miles?)

3. Sprayed engine bay down with simple green and hosed off everything while throttle body was fully removed (just plugged hole in the Y-pipe.). Maybe water got into one of the three throttle body connectors and shorted it?

4, Three codes were P2138 P2134 P0122 P0222

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both TPS and TLP sensors are bad.
What exactly is the TLP? Are you referring to the throttle body lever sensor which attaches to the throttle cable? I’ll try those out first this this morning.
ALSO I have a voltage meter along with a decent obd2 scanner w/live readings if that helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE! The only problem all along was just the tps sensor.
-It was initially damaged (probably water shorted it when I pressure washed the engine bay)
-then when I installed the new tps from Autozone it was jacked up as well. Figured that out after testing the resistance. So I exchanged it and calibrated it to 14% via live Obd II readings. Runs perfect again. Gonna return the $143 throttle lever sensor.

·
Registered
754 Posts
im glad you fixed your issue, but be careful when spraying the bay with a pressure washer. I have heard stories about used car dealers spraying cars' bays with a pressure washer then running into issues because some of the sensors under the hood went bad (presumably due to pressure washing). atleast the bay was clean so someone could work on it. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard stories about used car dealers spraying cars' bays with a pressure washer then running into issues because some of the sensors under the hood went bad (presumably due to pressure washing). atleast the bay was clean so someone could work on it. LOL
I worked detail at an Audi dealership in 2012 and we pressure washed every single engine bay that ever came through. New or used ????. Now I know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts