Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this product. Anyone have pics of there car before and after the product was applied to the front of the car? Does it dull out the finish or what? How does it look? Can you even tell it's there? If you can hook me up with some details on this one I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My web site has before and after shots of ScotchCal on my Spectra Blue IS300. I have no stone chips in my hood (1800 miles so far).

I've always been a big fan of ScotchCal. It is not completely invisible, but it is hard to see if you aren't looking for it.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
537 Posts
Bugs. The evening I got the ScotchCal applied I ended coming home after dark and got splattered pretty well. I took the pics the next day. Minnesota has a lot of bugs (I'm sure we're not alone).

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Rob... did you get the bumper done as well, or just the hood? Looks like he did a killer job. I did my hood myself, but the bumper looks like a bi*ch to do.

t

·
Registered
537 Posts
Didn't do the bumper. Got the hood, fender tips and side corners, mirrors, and door pulls done. I passed on the bumper because I've not had problems with chips on plastic bumpers before. I had a '93 GrandAm with TONS of chips on the hood (no ScotchCal), but virtually no chips on the bumper. Same thing with several other vehicles I've had... not much happens to the bumpers because the plastic absorbs the impact. Now if the Lexus paint over the plastic isn't as durable, then I might be wrong, but I'll take that chance.

Rob

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much did it cost you to do all that work? This way i can get an idea? How long did it take?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i did the bumper myself. it really helps with two people, one to hold the thing while you align it, and to keep it the one side damp while working the other. it does need to be stretched on the ends somewhat. the thing works great, after only two days of driving, its got bug guts and road stuff all over it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My installation cost $115. I believe it was broken apart like: $80 for hood, $25 for mirrors, $10 for door pulls. The fender tips and side corners he threw in after I mentioned that I was going to do before and after pics for this board. The $115 price was his original stranger-off-the-street price before I mentioned the pics. This guy does this type of installations for a living at a couple of dealerships and does it out of his garage at night. It would have probably cost upwards of $300 at a dealer. By the way, it probably took about 2 hours to do, but we were doing a lot of BS'ing which wasted some time. He probably could have done it in an hour if I wasn't there.

Rob

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh this is like a "tint" film you apply? I saw the templates in another link. I thought this was some type of heavy duty clear coat that had to be sprayed on at a body shop. Does this thing leave bubbles like window tint? Where can I buy it? Does the finish lose the luster of a new clearcoat

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can this ScotchCal be removed easy? Or after it is applied your done for? How does it hold up against washing and cleaning chemicals that may dull the finish.

·
Registered
537 Posts
ScotchCal is a clear adhesive film that is applied to the paint in sheets. It comes in rolls with a backing that peels off prior to installation. It is perfectly clear and will not fade (I've seen some about 5 years old that was still crystal clear). It needs care just like the clearcoat on your paint. Don't scrub it too hard and wax it regularly. If the vehicle is well cared for (cleaned and waxed), the ScotchCal stays as nice looking as the paint. It could leave bubbles if it wasn't applied right. It is pretty easy to work with (judging as a spectator), and there's no reason to have bubbles. The installer will use a tiny syringe to poke holes in the problem bubbles and release the air if they can't lift the film or work the bubble to the edge. I still wouldn't recommend this as a do-it-yourself job, though. Have someone experienced do it.

As for being removable, that's something I don't know for sure. If applied on good quality paint, you could probably remove it without problems. The paint would have to be cleaned and waxed afterwards, but it should hold up. It is a good adhesive though, so I could see it pulling up some paint if there were any chips or loose paint to start with. Generally however, ScotchCal is a 'apply it and leave it' product. There is really no reason to remove it.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts