Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my fog lamps. Looked at my fog lamps one day and decided they look like shit..I need to do my headlights since the last owner decided to do a shitty job on the headlight vinyl film

Before: Left Fog Lamp
Auto part Exhaust system

After: Right Fog Lamp
Automotive lighting Auto part

Side to Side:
Auto part

·
Registered
504 Posts
im having similar success on my fogs. my headlights need a bit more attention tho. :( anyone got any tips?
be sure to mask the paint around the headlights to prevent any miss sanding. (sand paper + paint = bad)

try to use one of those plug in drills, not those rechargeable ones cause they tend to run out of battery too fast
with the 500 grit sand paper, use that to remove all the oxidation. there is no time limit on how long you should sand. until you feel like all the nasty stuff is off your headlights you can stop. (your headlight should feel smooth and have a uniform texture to it.) next with the 800 grit, take your time with this one. the goal is to remove all the sanding marks left by the 500 grit. Also use plenty of water, and wipe the sandpaper everyonce in a while cause plastic tends to build up on it. do the same thing with the 3000 grit pad as you did wit the 800

as for compounding its pretty simple, buff into you see your headlights start clearing up

if you want good results, take your time with it. most people rush it and end up getting their headlights hazed up.

Good luck

btw.. 1 kit last a long time. Ive reused my 3m headlight restoration kit on 5 different cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my left fog finished. im SOOOO HAPPY with the results
Auto part Automotive lighting Headlamp

i also am having trouble with my headlights.. i think i just need to spend more time on them .. only spent total of 30 minutes on both

i also need to do all 4 of my tails since my car has been repainted before and i see alot of overspray

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good job buddy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
looks really good man. I need to do these on my foglights as well, but I need to wait till all this snow and shat is gone. Did you use any special polish or did it come with the kit?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
damn! that looks super clean. brand new lookin! I wetsanded my fogs before and they didn't look as good as this. There were still road nicks and shit on it. I spent a long time sanding them too. I must of did something wrong. What steps did you take for it to come out brand new lookin?

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Definitely can see the results. How easy was it to use the 3M kit in your opinion?

I had somebody who does detailing do it for me. In addition to the light looking better... i found you could also see better because more light could leave the housing properly. Before I couldn't even notice the fog lamps on the ground while in the car... but after you can clearly see the yellow area on the ground.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it all comes with the kit. only thing is my 3000 grit foam pad came apart after a while since you soak it in water before use.. and honestly ya there are some knicks and scratches that would need alot of sanding to get out.. the pictures makes it look flawless

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
im having similar success on my fogs. my headlights need a bit more attention tho. :( anyone got any tips?
wet sand. 800, 1500, 2000, 3 passes with rubbing compound, 3 passes with meguires plastix

before

after

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Definitely can see the results. How easy was it to use the 3M kit in your opinion?

I had somebody who does detailing do it for me. In addition to the light looking better... i found you could also see better because more light could leave the housing properly. Before I couldn't even notice the fog lamps on the ground while in the car... but after you can clearly see the yellow area on the ground.
had to bump this up cuz my fogs are hazy after doing this... Crester, did your guy do this with the fogs still on the car??? Squeezing my hand in there to get the fogs on and off was a PITA!!! I'm gonna give it another go.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Anyone ever try Crystal View headlight defogger? I used the 3M kit several times and was satisfied..but was not amazed. Its like 3M doesn't give enough finishing paper. I opted to try this CV kit...comes in a silver bag that includes 1500 and 2500 grit wet/dry. It also comes with cleaner and the finishing clear coat packs. I also bought 800 grit cause mine was pretty bad.sells for $22 and I recommend it. Took me an hour for the fogs and headlights. I have to post pics to prove it. BTW..I am Not affiliated with this company...just throwing this review out there.

Oh..and when I used any kit..I kept the lights on the car...just taped up the sides with painters masking tape.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
General FYI: If you already have paint polish and a polisher, you don't need to buy any headlight-specific kits. Having a circular and/or dual action polisher makes the job a LOT faster and easier.

(Almost all of the specs are inside the lens)

In all pics above, I'm using my Brinkmann LED swirl finder to emphasize every little flaw.

No spotlight.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did the 3M kit on my headlights and foglights and it worked great. Then I did my cousins headlights on his civic and one came out great but the other looks HORRIBLE! You can see swirl marks everywhere and we have tried and tried to make it look better but no success. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
I did the 3M kit on my headlights and foglights and it worked great. Then I did my cousins headlights on his civic and one came out great but the other looks HORRIBLE! You can see swirl marks everywhere and we have tried and tried to make it look better but no success. Any ideas?
Unfortunatly...no There's no quick fix. You will have to re sand the light. It takes some time to get out the tiniest scratches...that's why I tried the crystal view kit. You probably need to sand with 1500 then 2500 up to highest grit you can. Same problem I had with 3M kit. Guess I didn't do it right the first time too...cause I had swirl marks too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.