Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW Owner Gets Embarrassed Posted At Bimmer.Org.....

I had a very unpleasant experience last night in my 330i.
I was weaving my way through some congestion on a major freeway in the hartford, ct area when a dropped/pimped-out honda civic decided he wanted to join me. We both cleared the congestion at about the same time; me in the far right lane, him in the far left. And the race began.

My thinking was – this ought to be easy, we’re both going about 75; at this speed, a pop down into 4th will put the bimmer right in it’s sweet spot, especially against a souped up 4cylinder (looking back, maybe I should have squeezed the last 1000rpm out of 3rd). Well I was wrong. The damn honda lurched forward and from 75 to about 95 gained a full car length on me. It was accompanied by the buzz of the coffee can type exhaust the whole way. Finally, my 330 began gaining territory as my rpms climbed up towards red line in 4th gear. With some clutch fan and some big rpms going into 5th, I finally started to show superior acceleration.

I slowed down after finally gaining about a half a car length on the guy (at about 120mph). I shamefully slowed down so he wouldn’t see the badge on the back of my car. I didn’t want this guy to get the satisfaction of knowing that he almost beat the latest and greatest BMW 3series. The worst part, when he pulled away finally at about 130 he turned on this friggin’ stupid little flashing neon light display on the back of his car as some sort of a victory show.

I pulled into my apt parking lot a little depressed, thinking – when is the dinan CAI and chip going to be available for the 330, or anything (short of a supercharger) where I can give my car an extra 20-30hp so I don’t get beat up by a tweaked 4cyl again.

Thats for ALL YOU Bimmer Lovers hanging around in OUR FORUM!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
either the civic had a turbo(i doubt that because it owuld've owned the 330 in that case) or the guy with the bimmer is a sad driver

·
Registered
448 Posts
haha. go honda!

------------------
Official member of the ClubSi.com So. Cal Fuddrucker and Boba Crews. Westside Represent!
  • 1999 EBP Honda Civic Si
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit
  • Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals
  • KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

Just try not to have the attitude that driving a bimmer means it's gotta be faster than a four banger civic.....ESPECIALLY when it's pimped out!!!

mrclam: Seemed like they were just driving on a straight road.....didn't sound like they were weaving through traffic when the Civic passed the bimmer.......That wasn't a lame driver in the 330, the car itself was lame (as oppose to the pimped out Civic)!!! You've gotta admit that!!!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well, i know civics can be pimped out big time(get a 93 HB, '00 si engine swap, turbo, lsd, suspension mods) under 10k you get a car taht will takea stock supra....either way, the civic driver was probably very good and te 330 guy doesn't sound like he really knows what he's doing, when you race you should go all out, which means taking it to redline......especially when you're driving a 330, its no suprise that a fixed up civic will take the 330. its not like the car was designed with performance in mind, although its no slouch

·
Registered
178 Posts
this post reminds me of a mpg a friend mentioned to be a while ago (he definately saw this so this isn't b#ll****).. its a 1/4 race between a turbo'ed NEON against a stock Viper and the NEON smoked the Viper - apparently the guy filming the video can be heard saying... 'HOLY SH*T, is that a NEON?!?!?' - (apparently the NEON is the worlds fastest of its kind.. =P)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well the thing is that econocars weigh basically nothing......i mean a civic is gonna weigh in around 2500 lbs i TINK....possibly less, you can do the si engine swap on a 2000 lb crx if you want. the thing is, if you get into an accident you're dead....and also how long do you want that engine to last? i'd rather give up kill-your-balls speed for quick if it means i can ride in luxury and know that my engine will last more than 10000 miles =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
In all honesty, if that pimped out Civic did that to the 330i, it would have handled its business against an IS too.

I've been wanting to get the IS for a long time now. I've leaned greatly towards the CL-S until I realized that the front of the car isn't as good looking as I thought it was. But driving today in my 95 GS300, I was trying to pass a slow-ass driving Maxima when he realized I was trying to pass him and he slammed on the gas to pull in front of me again. AND...the A$$HOLE slowed down after I got behind him.

It's jerks like this one that pushes me towards the CL-S. I may not beat him outright with the CL-S, but if he wants to slam on the gas again, he's either going to slam into the side or rear of my car.

So now, I'm thinking CL-S again. I wouldn't even have this dilemma if there's a manual tranny IS. And I'm definitely not going to wait until 2004 to get a manual IS coupe.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well...i read the responses on the bimmer board...and damn, i didnt' know e46 guys were like that. i usually hang arond the e36 m3 board and they usually know what they're talking about, but these e46 guys really have no idea what they're talking about. they ahve the total "i drivea bimmer and i'm faster tahn you" attitude...some of them really need to have their azzes handed to them by a civic or an integra, or something :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And by the way, the 330i doesn't seem as PERFECT as alot of people thought.
ALOT of 330i owners are complaining of the OIL INDICATOR light coming on.
(This Also Straight from bimmer.org)
Its been said that when they checked the oil dipstick level (Engine Hot) several people found LOW oil level readings.

I've checked the engine oil level in my IS300 several times (while engine was hot) and NEVER found the oil below the LOW line.

Also some of these same people that found the oil level low ADDED OIL to thier HOT ENGINES only to find out when the engine cooled down they had TOO MUCH oil in engine.
Sure way to "BLOW SEALS"

Nothing Like LEXUS Reliability!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have any complained about mushy brakes on delivery of the car?

The point being, although Lexus has fewer problems they do have some. Also, adding a quart of oil in most newer cars won't result in a blown seal. Most guys run an extra 1/2 quart on the track.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am not surprise to hear that the new BMW has the oil problem, because my friend's M3 had that problem also. Actually, it seem kind of common among German cars as my other friends' Mercedes also has problem with oil leaking.
But my friends still like their cars alot.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i talked to a mercedes tech and he says he loves mercedes but the problem with them is that they all leak/burn oil. yes it does seem to happen a lot to german cars, but with german cars you do generally get better cars, it was a german car that lasted to a million miles

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hot engine oil and it's actually lower???? What's causing it??? Engine oil expands when hot, so the dipstick should read 'more' than 'less'?? Strange........

Originally posted by stockIS3:
Its been said that when they checked the oil dipstick level (Engine Hot) several people found LOW oil level readings.

I've checked the engine oil level in my IS300 several times (while engine was hot) and NEVER found the oil below the LOW line.

Also some of these same people that found the oil level low ADDED OIL to thier HOT ENGINES only to find out when the engine cooled down they had TOO MUCH oil in engine.
Sure way to "BLOW SEALS"

Nothing Like LEXUS Reliability!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
That's why BMW boosted the steering on the 2001 3 Series, so the Bimmer poseurs don't strain their arms in a race against some pimped out ugly Civic. Can't have our BMW drivers actually having to apply effort to drive their cars, that would be so un-luxury. This way they can talk on their cell phones while they drive their light-steering poseurmobiles with one limp-wristed hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by stockIS3:

Huh??? _I'm_ the person with the oil indicator "problem." And as far as I'm aware, I'm the ONLY one on bimmer.org or anywhere with that "problem." At any rate, I think the simple fact of the matter is that I was low on oil. The indicator hasn't come on again since I added two-thirds of a quart. I was just boneheaded for overfilling it...I should have waited a little longer for the car to cool down.

By the way, I've put 4050 miles on my 330i since I got it 3 1/2 weeks ago. Anyone put that many miles on their IS300 yet? Most of my miles have been up and down mountains/large hills at speeds that may concern local law enforcement officials. After work every day I blast up a twisty mountain pass and back down...just for the heck of it. I've been having a blast and I'm not surprised I've burned half a quart or so thus far. Believe me, I don't baby my cars. By the way, I just got back from a 700-mi trip this weekend. Went to Yosemite and had a total blast driving the twisties there.

P.S. To the person wondering why a "hot engine" makes for a false low oil reading. It's not because the engine is hot, but because the oil is still in the motor and hasn't had a chance to drain down into the oil pan yet. I've learned a lot about oil changing in the last couple of days thanks to the folks at bimmer.org. ^_^

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
That's why BMW boosted the steering on the 2001 3 Series, so the Bimmer poseurs don't strain their arms in a race against some pimped out ugly Civic. Can't have our BMW drivers actually having to apply effort to drive their cars, that would be so un-luxury. This way they can talk on their cell phones while they drive their light-steering poseurmobiles with one limp-wristed hand.
I can only be grateful that the new steering is still not as light as the steering in the IS300. If BMW ever makes their steering THAT light, I'll consider buying a Lexus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts