Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the book store to read the latest Car & Driver magazine which features a BMW 330i. That car blitzes to 60mph in 6.1 seconds does the quarter mile in 14.8 seconds at 95mph! The last M3 (in comparo with Audi S4, Saab Viggen, and C43 AMG) did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. The last Lexus GS400 road tested in Car & Driver did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds.... That 330i is one fast car (Price as tested at $40K+)...
Eric...

There was a CL-S featured in a short take and it did 0-60 in 6.8 seconds..

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by S4Tip:
not as quick as my S4
Speaking of which, how do you like your S4? That's one of the cars I'm considering when I"m ready to buy in about 6 mos. Others include: BMW 330, Acura CL-S, Lexus IS3, TRD Solara.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The GS400 has actually been tested at 5.7 seconds from 0-60... I've driven the 330CI Manual and it feels nowhere near as fast as my GS4..

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Chris Y:
The GS400 has actually been tested at 5.7 seconds from 0-60... I've driven the 330CI Manual and it feels nowhere near as fast as my GS4..

-Chris Y.
Chris, I owned a GS400 for 2 years.... Motor trend is the only magazine I know of that has acheived the 5.7 sec 0-60 time claimed by Lexus... Car & Driver got 6.2 seconds and many other publications have gotten 6 seconds flat....
Eric....

·
Registered
201 Posts
To be honest, all of it is B.S. No way did even a manual 330 hit 0-60 in 6.1. Not even BMW makes that claim. They'll even tell you 6.4 at best. Don't believe everything you read. BMW also says 7.0 for the auto. So watch one of the magazine publications come out and say 6.6 or better in the auto.

------------------

·
Registered
511 Posts
That time for the M3 was the slowest ever recorded by a magazine. Even C&D commented their last test was in the mid 5's. 330i manual is a quick car but it isn't in the league of the lighter E36 M3 with more hp.

Saw a coupe yesterday with sport package, very muscular looking car. I liked it. Waiting for one to pick a fight with me. :)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW, Audi, Porsche are known for being conservative with their published performance specs..... Car & Driver road tested the 5 speed manual 330 and did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, no ifs, ands, or buts about it...
Eric.....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah S38 I know that C&D themselves have road tested E36 M3s in the low/mid 5's (0-60 time)... I'm assuming the engine was still in the green (not broken in) or it just was an example not performing to the level of other healthier examples of M3s...
Eric...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Speaking of number in the magazine, do anyone know how they get 4.9s for NSX? How is Honda able to get the car from mid 5s to high 4 without a new engine? Last I heard there were no new drivetrain parts since the introduction of the 6 speed and 290hp engine a few years back.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the current Zarnardi edition is lighter in weight than regular NSX's.... The 1991 NSX had 270 hp...
Eric...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLS:
Speaking of which, how do you like your S4? That's one of the cars I'm considering when I"m ready to buy in about 6 mos. Others include: BMW 330, Acura CL-S, Lexus IS3, TRD Solara.
I can honestly say it is a fantastic car. A lot of power (smooth and controled power) and nice luxuries (most of which are standard)

I've driven the Acura and the IS300, but they don't compare. I had an order for a Spec.Blue IS but I changed my mind after driving the S4.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can tell you this. The IS300 will keep up with a 330i automatic. My brother has a 330i automatic and we raced.

We were both stopped at the light coming out of Alaqua Lakes in Lake Mary. I will admit I got the jump on him and he stayed within a 1/2 car length up to about 75 mph and then we let off. So if I did not get the jump, we would most likely be neck and neck.

so I know for a fact auto to auto the cars are very close. Now the manual is another story. 6.1 is very impressive in my book.

I hope the IS300 manual will keep numbers like that. I am just not a manual type person. I am not into the race all that much, like the comfort and ease of the automatice.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
nono isfan, 6.1 is a bs number becuase bmw themselves don't claim it as the highest number!
I guess that went over my head. I do not understand what you are getting at. Are you saying that BMW does not claim that the manual can do 6.1 0-60?

I could care less. I do know auto to auto the cars are very close, and I have first hand experience in that.

Also, my brother and I got together another time, this time on the interstate. We were both doing about 75 mph. He pulled up next to me and took off, I punched it and caught up very easily to him and in fact passed him. I was somewhat surprised by that. I will tell you this. I find the IS300 is much quicker from 40 up then 0-60. That is just what I have experienced since driving the car for 3 months now.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, I know the Zanardi edition is lighter, but something just seem odd to me. I have seen at least 4 or 5 different figures for the NSX since it got the new engine and transmission, and for some reason, every single time they test it, the car seems to go faster and faster. Is Honda making some kind of improvement that they are not mentioning? I know wonder if Honda is playing the same game regarding engine output as they do in Japan. Maybe NSX has more than 290hp?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
15 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing